Old 04-29-2009   #61

Portland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2000
My my reading comprehension is off the charts, but I read the excerpt that someone posted on this thread and it read exactly as you described it. So I don't know what you are complaining about other than the "rough night in the woods".

I know I have ran sections, and they have not been what I expected, but when I went back and re-read the description I realize that I didn't pay attention to it the first time. I suggest you go back and really do so before you call someone and arrogant sandbagger.

Heck, no real harm no foul, you got off easy it sounds like to me. The other Kayakers in Utah are the ones paying the piper for you.

Mr Beaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009   #62

off topic boat repair

I think inflatables are easier to repair because the material is more porous. My bituthane experience hasn't been good, maybe it and the boat weren't ever hot enough, or maybe it's because the hardshell break is always under the seat where another flex and bump is bound to open it right back up. My most successful hardshell repair was with hypalon and shore adhesive and lots of toluene to soften the polyethylene. Like slickhorn said if you've got good glue you can get a good buzz and an inflatable back on the water in less than an hour. Aire makes a funky tape for the inner bladder that, if the tape is new, will fix a one inch hole in minutes. Then leave the PVC ripped or even duct tape it until you're home. I don't IK I have a 10 foot puma for low volume stuff with the wife, when you read my posts please realize I spend 3x as many days in a hard shell each season but recognize what inflatables are good at.

timmypayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009   #63

Portland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2000
Oh crap did it just sound like I agree with Caspermike?

Take back everything I just posted.
Mr Beaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009   #64

Bozeman, Montana
Paddling Since: 1999
yes, mr beav, i am your father... pishhh,shh,pishhh,shh,pishh,shhh

i wasn't trying to be dick supreme but come on. sack up and take some personal responsibility. as somebody else said they used their common sense and didn't run the narrows for lack of time. common sense goooes a looongg wayyy. as does being preparred. i admit i have been unpreparred in the past and deffentely had to deal with the situation best i could which isn't according to the original plan.. sooo the word ill end with is lets be safe. don't be an idiot and run a stepping stone without seriously thinking it completely over. say what happens if someones swims in a place like that. you need a game plan and you all need to be ready for whatever goes down. lets be safe. im going to listen to leif now and shut up.
caspermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009   #65

Seattle, Washington
Just wanted to post in this epic thread. Cemartin, you're embarrassing yourself, just pipe down and quit being such an ass. Blaming the guidebook is silly, it's completely on you to know what you expect to encounter. Have you seen the Washington and Montana guidebooks? They are just or even more vague than WWOSR. If I'm ever on a new run and no one I'm with has been on it before (or recently), I always check multiple sources before heading out. If you need a detailed account of every little rapid on the run then stick to Browns.
Yonder_River is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009   #66

guide books

if you think the montana book is vague, you need to endulge in Stewart Smith's guides to BC.

To properly sand bag you have to run shit in a T slamom.

Guide books are to help find the put in and take out with a glimpse of what lies in between.
bob marshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009   #67

Mapleton, Utah
Paddling Since: 2001
[QUOTE=cuzin;139392]Hey cemartin:

You donít make any sense:

Quote: I have been boating the Virgin for 30 years, wrote an online guide to the Virgin, and deliberately left the Narrows run out because of the difficulties involved, and to keep it our little local secret. I will have to include something now that the "secret" is out. We consider 200 low flow, 400 medium flow

[FONT=Verdana]So youíre saying youíve been running this river for 30 years, but now that a new guidebook comes out, you have forgotten everything you knew about said river from your own experience, and rely entirely on a book written by people you have never met?

Just thought I would point out that Cemartin was quoting from a pm he received. Other wise you would be right, it would make no sense. Carry on.
Newty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009   #68

Grand Junction, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Well, it looks like my decision to not drive down on Friday for a Saturday mission was a good one after all. Darn it, why does the runoff have to happen all at once?
Old 04-29-2009   #69

Telluride, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
well done everyone, this thread continues to get slayed! ARE YOU READY FOR CHOCOLATE PAIN, BITCH? do you think cemartin is huddled in the corner now no longer looking at the replies? wow
tallboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009   #70

how many cliff bars does a hand job go for at camp 4 anyways?

timmypayne is offline   Reply With Quote