Old 04-08-2011   #1

Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Potential Gvt. Shutdown - Westwater and Ruby HT

Just spoke with the ranger at BLM Moab who had sent the following out regarding the Westwater volunteer training meeting that had been scheduled tomorrow. I've bolded the important part, remember that currently this is all preliminary. The BLM River Office had previously told TLs that self registration would be allowed for permit holders, this is no longer the case.

Jennifer also stated that a shutdown could possibly also affect people floating Ruby HT as the Westwater ranger station will be closed if there's a shutdown. She's still waiting on guidance on this issue.

There will be a notice posted on MB once they know for certain.

-AH

Quote:
Sent: Friday, April 08, 2011 10:14 AM
Cc: [DELETED BY AH]
Subject: possible government shut down...

I am awaiting further direction from the BLM Washington office but at this point it looks like the WAVE training will be canceled/ postponed until further notice due to a possible government shut down. This is not my desire however, in the event of a government shut down Westwater Canyon will be closed to both commercial and private use as of the shut down (which would be 12:01 am Saturday 4/9/11). I will send out an email later this afternoon if I receive additional information.

Jennifer Jones- Outdoor Recreation Planner Moab BLM, 82 East Dogwood, Moab, UT 84532
phone: 435-259-2136
fax: 435-259-2158
email: jljones@blm.gov

Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011   #2

x, x
Paddling Since: x
come on, we know for sure now.

This is so unfair.

fucking sucks, go anyway.

bobbuilds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011   #3

x, x
Paddling Since: x
we need a list of all the areas that will be afected so that people will know what is up. make it a sticky cause this is going to last all spring.
bobbuilds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011   #4

Little Village, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbuilds View Post
we need a list of all the areas that will be afected so that people will know what is up. make it a sticky cause this is going to last all spring.
No way. If it happens at all, it will be brief. This is dickish brinksmanship and cheesy political theater. This is Tan in the Can Man showing the t-baggers what a tough guy he is. In the end, he will cry.
Old 04-08-2011   #5

If history repeats itself from the 1990ís, the shutdown could last from one to three weeks.

Seems the same reasons for the shutdown then, are happening again now.
cadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011   #6

BV, CO
Paddling Since: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riparian View Post
No way. If it happens at all, it will be brief. This is dickish brinksmanship and cheesy political theater. This is Tan in the Can Man showing the t-baggers what a tough guy he is. In the end, he will cry.
Well said. I watched TCM standing behind Harry Reid waiting to speak a couple nights ago and I swear he was getting ready to cry. The doode is third in line!!!
Phil U. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011   #7

Boulder, Colorado
If the BLM closes won't it just become a free for all?

(seven two 0)-298-2242
Dave Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011   #8

Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Law enforcement are considered "essential" gvt. employees, so there will still be someone on the job who can bust you for violating the closure. They may also lock gates, etc.

-AH
Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011   #9
no tengo

Baytopia, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1876
we are heading over to sand island tonight. if there is a lawman tomorrow telling us not to launch then I guess we will go do something else, but i will want my money back.

I wonder if they will wake us up at 12:01am and tell us the campground is now closed!?
mania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011   #10

In, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2010
Thats what I would bank on, got two trips booked through westwater the next two weeks. That would thoroughly suck if we could not float as planned because of this BS. If they do shut down I hope they give us the courtesy of a self check in. If not I'll want my money back as well, with interest.

Thank you for the heads up AH!

ksmclaughlin is offline   Reply With Quote