Old 04-08-2011   #11

Conifer, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
We are suppose to be meeting some friends at black rocks on Saturday and then continuing on down through westwater Sunday.. If they don't allow us down westwater I guess someone will have to walk to I-70 and hitch to Cisco or Loma to get our cars...This is going to be a pain

`...><((((>`...><((((>`...><(( ((>
Flohotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011   #12

San Juans, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
I launch at Sand Island next week, if the shutdown is a go I'll launch in Bluff and continue. I planned a trip, paid my fees, and have all the required equipment. If I am allowed to launch in the winter when no ranger is around I see no difference. I pay taxes everyday, and I assume I'll be paying federal mandated taxes during the shutdown.

I realize there could be Feds saying I can't go. Fair enough, I'll float past, stash the cat in the bushes and hike out before clay hills.

If the government has the $$ to lob million dollar cruise missiles in to Libya, grope me at the airport, and send $$ to Wall Street cronies then I fully intend to exercise my right to recreate on my tax funded federal lands with the permit(s) i paid for.

Since the San Juan is the border for the Navajo Nation maybe I'll get a tribal permit, launch on the river in Red Creek at the ghetto boat ramp (left side) and promise to only use the left (Navajo) part of the river.

They may confiscate my large boat, that's fine I'll get it back eventually, and don't really need it for spring boating anyways.

Bottom line is both parties can suck it, I am enjoying the rivers and permits I have paid for. If there is a shutdown i want a tax credit for all fuel i bought during the shutdown, I'll also file my taxes accordingly for 2011, if I dont get to enjoy the benefits afforded to me through my taxes then I don't see paying self employment tax when the government is shutdown. Timmy Geithner and his cronies can do it, so I may as well try.

in the meantime I'll be sharpening my pitchfork.

dgosn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011   #13

Bozeman, Montana
Paddling Since: 1999
Is this closure effecting roads thru yellowstone park was going to take a scenic drive to cody.... and what's up with the ranger status?
caspermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by caspermike View Post
Is this closure effecting roads thru yellowstone park was going to take a scenic drive to cody.... and what's up with the ranger status?
I'd imagine Yellowstone and all other Nat Parks will be closed.

Thanks tea baggers. Sounds like they have a deal with compromises across the board but the right wing nut jobs want to gut the EPA and cut of funding to planned parenthood. They can't let that fight go for another day. What a bunch of frackin' idiots.
cmike1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011   #15

San Juans, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmike1 View Post
I'd imagine Yellowstone and all other Nat Parks will be closed.

Thanks tea baggers. Sounds like they have a deal with compromises across the board but the right wing nut jobs want to gut the EPA and cut of funding to planned parenthood. They can't let that fight go for another day. What a bunch of frackin' idiots.
I have to call BS on blaming the 'teabaggers' while I loathe Bachmann, Boehner,et al, this is to blame on both sides. I also agree that fighting over the EPA and Planned Parenthood is bullshit.

None of this is really about the environment or abortions, it is partisanship and a power play for vote. Both parties like their riders, pork, and special interests, they just don't like it when the other party gets it too. I blame both parties equally. Before you jump all over my ass go to opensecrets.org and look at campaign finance by PAC, by sector, by party, and by canidate, you'll see this is about who gets to be on the take, not about the common people.

So back to topic, I hope everyone with a permit launches and acts respectful of their environment (though jetskiing up sock it to me and skull sounds like a blast) Show the jackasses in DC that we dont need them as much as they want us to believe.

scott
Old 04-08-2011   #16

Eagle, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgosn View Post
I'll float past, stash the cat in the bushes and hike out before clay hills.
Ummm... You might want to look at a map before commiting to a hike out of the San Juan basin.

http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=3...43808&t=h&z=12
teletoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011   #17

Conifer, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
So does anyone really have any idea about Ruby and Westwater? I am guessing Westwater permits are void. But what about Ruby or any other section of BLM managed river that is not permitted? Gunny Gorge? Any thoughts?

`...><((((>`...><((((>`...><(( ((>
Flohotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011   #18

San Juans, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by teletoes View Post
Ummm... You might want to look at a map before commiting to a hike out of the San Juan basin.

Google Maps
Before i was a lazy rafter 30 miles/day canyoneering adventures were the norm. This time it'll be out of principle.
Old 04-08-2011   #19

Little Village, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Quote:
I have to call BS on blaming the 'teabaggers' while I loathe Bachmann, Boehner,et al, this is to blame on both sides. I also agree that fighting over the EPA and Planned Parenthood is bullshit.
Uh, Scott, you acknowledged that the shutdown is the result of GOP dickishness on the EPA and Planned Parenthood, YET, incredibly, you blame both sides. Wow, that's kinda ridiculous. Did you know that the Dems negotiated $78 billion in cuts from Obama's budget? Still wanna blame both sides? Really?

You can try to hide behind the "they're all the same" cop out, but I call bullshit. They are NOT the same in this instance. It's the GOP that's causing this shutdown, and the hard right/t-bagger wing of the party is issuing the marching orders.
Old 04-08-2011   #20

Quote:
If the government has the $$ to lob million dollar cruise missiles in to Libya, grope me at the airport, and send $$ to Wall Street cronies then I fully intend to exercise my right to recreate on my tax funded federal lands with the permit(s) i paid for.
Bravo. Five stars. Thumbs up. Atta boy. You da man. F yeah. Well said.

farp is offline   Reply With Quote