Old 07-01-2012   #61
I found that claim of property owners growing weed for cartels pretty ludicrous, myself. Thanks for bringing your perspective and clearing up some of the bullshit, Greg.

Grif for President!
deepstroke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012   #62
pnw, Washington
There have been abuses and bad assumptions on both sides of the fence in that area. Assuming that because you are a kayaker that you are a jerk is no better than us assuming every landowner up there is a crazed lunatic. Its good to hear your side of the story but saying the gun wasnt loaded means zip, nada. After having friends have the gun pointed at them for just floating by, I avoided that stretch because I do not like having a gun pointed at me. Loaded or unloaded.

"Yesterday I was clever and tried to change the world. Today I am wise and try to change myself." -Rumi
gh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012   #63
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
Originally Posted by GTurp View Post
Want to really impress landowners? Bailyfest could be geared towards river/water conservation/education. If not, why not change the name to "Beerlyfest"-has a nice ring to it, doesn't it?
Greg, Bailey Fest already has a river conservation and education component. I've partnered with American Whitewater from the beginning. For decades AW has been the national leader in river conservation, advocacy, restoration etc. Last year at Bailey Fest we signed up 38 AW members. We also had Nathan Fey from AW doing some water education last year.

Bailey Fest will donate all profits this year to AW to help fund continued river work in Colorado. My goal is to continue to grow the Bailey Fest / AW partnership in the future.

The reason Bailey Fest exists is that I educated myself about the water issues, legal documents, historical water use, water logistics, and the details of Denver Water's delivery system and the South Platte Protection Plan and got it done. You could say that Bailey Fest is a direct result of river / water education.

BeerlyFest? Sounds fun. When you set it up, let us know.
deepsouthpaddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012   #64
Greg, are you for real? If what you say is true, then it would explain some things, BUT do you seriously think that they were entitled to rain down on me like I was the Viet Cong, when I was a 110 lb, young, lone female, armed with a plastic spoon and a jar of peanut butter? I am sorry for his war atrocities, genuinely, but does that mean I should take the backlash? Foxton ain't Vietnam.

And btw, it was the FIRST time I had ever been in the area, I had no TP or campfire, and was doing NOTHING disrespectful to the land, river, or area, yet I should be the scapegoat for decades of visitors? Going back when I was barely in freakin' grade school??? Oh, and it is OK to threaten people with guns as long as they aren't really loaded. You really feel this way? If you do, then you are as nutty and dangerous as your friends. I regret that I did not press charges over that night. I was too young and scared back then, but now I would... And thank God for locks and car alarms with you folks around. Andy - I don't know why, of all people, you'd want to protect HIS feelings, but I'm done with this thread, so delete, block, or hate, as you wish!!!
jennifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012   #65
Dome Rock,Blue River,Fairplay CO, Colorado
Paddling Since: BC
Mr. DSP - I think I organized maybe like one too many beerlylfests in my younger days. Some residents down there have not given it up yet-One more hazard to watch out for while driving thru. Glad to hear you have the conservation part, and you are probably more educated on current water issues than I, perhaps you have some knowledge regarding how the Gross Res/Moffat expansion project fits in with the goals of the SPPP? I got copied from Den Wat on their most recent app for conditional rights for Two Forks Water, and part of their diligence costs are for the Gross EIS, as part of the SPPP is to secure future supply thru smaller projects. The yield and storage of that project is small compared to the Two Forks Water. Do you know if there is any deal to drop 2 forks if Gross is done? Do you know if a deal can be written into a record of decision. It is a shame to have to trade one project for only the hope of saving another. Some of the environmental groups think the gross proejct is ok, but can't answer about any deal. If you can't answer either, becuase DW will have to kill you-they have assisins you know, they used to live in south platte.......
May I send you a PM, sir. Thanks
GTurp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012   #66
Dome Rock,Blue River,Fairplay CO, Colorado
Paddling Since: BC
For Jennifer and others,
I am sorry, I did not mean to infer that I approved of their actions.
I do NOT believe these people were behaving correctly at all.
I diffused a few of these situations down there, it wasn't just kayakers he picked on,he just couldn't get the concept to stop? I know how intimidating and scary he could be, one time the gun was pointed at me. I am sorry I wasn't there to diffuse yours. It should be safe to return there. But the current residents do appreciate if you take out from the "chutes run" at the bridge above south platte.
GTurp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012   #67
FoCo,NoCo, Colorado
Early 90's I used to paddle South Platte and North Fork South Platte. I can attest to some of the foul behavior of users (rather than residents.) Families shooting guns across the river while we were floating down. More scary because they were obviously drunk. Campers camping everywhere. A porta-potty tipped over into the river. (We got out and removed the offending porta-potty.) Untended fires. It never appeared that a kayaker or fisher did these unfortunate deeds. Obviously, the perpetrators did not have any respect for the neighborhood or the environment.
sarahkonamojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012   #68
dork, confusion
Paddling Since: 2000
Lookin for some love . Rough... headin up to just hang out by said yeller huis 2 get mine! It's been soooooo long , I can.t wait. I'll just pull over to look at my map... Maybe try and ask for directions. I.ll leave my boat at home. But bring my paddle... Toys!
chrispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012   #69
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004

My understanding is that Gross expansion is a direct result of Two Forks getting canceled. Gross is basically the back up plan to secure more water.

The south platte protection plan was a document and management strategy drafted to instead of wild and scenic designation on the south platte. My understanding is that the SPPP outlines details of how to manage things like fishing and whitewater recreation etc. without having the wild and scenic regulatory overlay. I don't think the SPPP is connected to gross expansion.

Who knows what the future would bring, but I would be surprised if two forks would be able to get approved even if it got resurrected, which I haven't heard that it is.
deepsouthpaddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012   #70
Colorado Springs Paddling Since: 1983
I've never had trouble with the landowners on the NF but I've heard lots of stories. What I can attest to is the S. Platte drainage was a way different place in the 80's and 90's than it is now. We used to call it "Okie Alley", and I'm a former redneck hillybilly so I can talk about "my people" that way. Tons of low-life types would pour out of Denver to camp on the weekends. I was scared shitless numerous times camping while the folks next door had huge bonfires, way too much to drink, and thought that shooting guns at mid-night was good clean fun. If I had been a landowner I probably would have been shopping for a tank. None of that excuses some of the landowner's behavior that has been mentioned. But it truly was a nutty place with bad characters on both sides of the issue. I don't miss those days at all. We used to find out of the way hiding places to camp because of all of the idiots.

Mike Hartley is offline   Reply With Quote