Old 06-23-2012   #51
Paddling Since: 2002
Originally Posted by yetigonecrazy View Post
Sounds like a peaceful mass sit in at the pullout might be in order during Bailey fest this year. Bring heat, but keep it tucked away until the guy decides to force the issue. See how big of a dog he is when there are fifty armed boaters surrounding HIM with guns and telling him HE'S the one going to get raped....

You guys love mass protest floats, why not this?
one crazed hill billie with guns and a "peaceful mass" of 50 something half drunk kayakers with guns.... this will turn out well

i like where your head's at though

Oh! I don't take it lightly! I've always got to know
There's an old lion a roarin' n the river down below
colorado_steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012   #52
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
Yeti, that's a grade A dumbass idea.

For the record, don't plan on packing your heat for Bailey Fest, don't plan on organized antagonism with local residents during Bailey Fest, and don't plan on trying to do any dumb shit during Bailey Fest to fuck it up.

deepsouthpaddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012   #53
Lakewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1989
Originally Posted by deepsouthpaddler
Yeti, that's a grade A dumbass idea.

For the record, don't plan on packing your heat for Bailey Fest, don't plan on organized antagonism with local residents during Bailey Fest, and don't plan on trying to do any dumb shit during Bailey Fest to fuck it up.
Ian... Every time I go boating with you I pack heat. You are the scariest mofo I've ever paddled with and I fear for my life.
On the river, I can abandon who I am and what I've done. However brief it lasts, while on the river I am nothing important and everything insignificant. I am flotsam, and happy to be so.
hojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012   #54
Foxton vs Bailey is like night and day:

Bailey: landowners nice enough to actually allow us on their property, when they don't have to.....

Foxton: landowner totally insane, even threatening folks on public property (I was at waterton canyon public access when accosted).....

Big difference!!! If the Foxton landowner was at Bailey, we'd all have to run 1st falls with no scouting, with barbed wire placed across the river every foot along the way, and a guy straight out of deliverance shooting a shotgun at you right before your boof stroke, just hoping your remains would float his way so he could have some fun. OK, maybe a little exaggeration....
jennifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012   #55
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995

Could the guy I described be one of the guys that hassled you? He lived right by Waterton and. 15 (?) years ago until maybe 5-7 years ago was when he was around.I have done those runs many times and, other than him, never been hassled by humans.Mean dogs and mischievious horses yes.There are some cool land owners down there, including a boater and the guy who owns the mean dogs by Longview.The dogs chill.out when he yells at them but are pretty territorial when he is not around.He has given me a ride a few times walking back to my car, wasn't even hitching, so he must not dislike boaters and the people in the other cottages usually wave when you paddle by.Watch out for the Rottweiler ag the last house.

Come on dude noone needs to screw up Baileyfest or pack heat to deal with this A -hole.Just leave him alone.If you put in somewhere legal and he actually does something then defend yourself, otherwise ignore him.
cayo 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012   #56
Technology Partner, Littleton, Colorado
Send a message via AIM to mvhyde
I have it on very good information that there are several investigations into some of the landowners up there who have rather dubious ties to the drug industry, the illegal kind (e.g. marijuana growing for cartels and meth manufacturing). You would do well to be careful with some of these nuts.
And the Lord said, let there be whitewater. So on Friday, the 13th day of the month....
mvhyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012   #57
Cayo, I assumed that the guy(s) I encountered were the same that led to this thread, since there are few folks this angry and irrational, and who can be set off just by sighting a kayak. But perhaps they are totally unrelated. One of the men looked to be in his 50's or 60's and had bad teeth, the other one had dark hair and was younger, perhaps in his 40's. This was 11 years ago. They both claimed to own land in the area and feel that kaykers floating the river were trespassing, even if using public accesses. I do realize that the friendly landowners in the area far outnumber the assholes, and I always assume "friendly" until proven otherwise.
jennifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012   #58
Dome Rock,Blue River,Fairplay CO, Colorado
Paddling Since: BC
Truth from local

Hello all,
I am a property owner in the village of Dome Rock, have been since 1983 and lived there for 20 years. Although my house has been a rental for the past 10 years, I do still frequently visit the area. Also have been boating since '85. I do not know the man currently in question, so have nothing to say about him. The other two that have been referred to from years ago I knew very well. You all are talking sh*t from rumors - want some truth about them and a little history?
1983-1990 - Area trashed from overuse and local authorities not giving a sh*t because it was going to be flooded by Two Forks Reservoir anyway. Huge issues between property owners and campers - crapping in bushes, their toilet paper and garbage left to blow around, unattended/abandoned still burning camp fires, people driving way too fast-raising huge dust clouds, running over dogs, killing one man's donkey, horses being shot.......
About 1990 - Two Forks vetoed - Fatal stabbing and alleged "gang activity" at the "Chutes" - Now we had the attention of local authorities. These two men (the nut from S Platte and the one with the horses) probably did more work with local authorities to clean-up and preserve the canyon than most of you ever have done or will ever do in your lives for any river. Their involvement and actions were spurred by their love/respect for the land, the Earth and the canyon.
Nut from S Platte-Did two tours in Viet Nam, exposed to atrocities of the war and required to do things no one should have to do. And the "Agent Orange" stuff caused cancer-he was found dead in his running car in closed garage a few years ago. To whoever claimed he did not evac during BF fire-he did-came to my house-I was supposed to evac also, but did not-he turned his house over to fire dept for their use during the fire. By the way, his gun was never loaded. May he rest in peace.
To you claiming the drug trafficking-Who the f*ck are you? This is NOT true. In the "old days" there were some issues, with a DIFFERENT, truly very bad man, NOT as you have represented it. I was the one growing pot years ago-4 plants-big time cartel op, eh? I got busted and paid for it.
Guy with horses-passed away couple of years ago-I miss him dearly, may he rest in peace also.
Respecting landowners rights begins as soon as you drive into the canyon. Please drive slow thru the villages-some kayakers ARE the worst offenders for this, especially now that the area is so popular with boaters.
Want to really impress landowners? Bailyfest could be geared towards river/water conservation/education. If not, why not change the name to "Beerlyfest"-has a nice ring to it, doesn't it? Two Forks, or an alternative dam at Estabrook could be a real possibility in 10 years when the current moratorium agreement is over. This is also tied in to the success/denial of the Gross Reservoir/Moffat collection project.
My advice on new nut-walk away-he can't hassle anyone if no one is there.
Greg Turpin
GTurp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012   #59
Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995

Thanks for telling your side of the story. Hopefully the boaters that run near your land will respect it and all private property, along with driving safely through the area. MountainBuzz reaches a lot of the boating community but unfortunately there are still plenty who aren't clued in to what's going on, or proper manners.

Buzzards - Greg's not a regular here on MB, and deserves our respect. The Community Rules will be strictly enforced with anyone responding to him.

Also, please be aware that the sarcasm in remarks about "packing heat" or mass protests may not be obvious to others, especially those very sensitive to past abuses by the boating community. Lots of folks may be unaware that very few boaters actually carry guns (probably fewer than 0.1%), as opposed to other recreationists, and could use remarks made here to spread the idea that all boaters are likely to be armed and dangerous. If someone wants to make trouble for Baileyfest, that kind of talk is perfect fuel for them.

Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012   #60
Dome Rock,Blue River,Fairplay CO, Colorado
Paddling Since: BC
Thanks Andy,
If anyone wants to post anything not within the rules, doesn't matter to me, I can take it. Not my first BBQ...

GTurp is offline   Reply With Quote