Old 06-16-2009   #11

Erie, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
how did it take 20 people to remove a pin? once it's clipped in a couple spots can't you just z-drag it off w/o much trouble?

CUBuffskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009   #12
Kayak/SUP Instructor

The High Ground, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by CUBuffskier View Post
how did it take 20 people to remove a pin? once it's clipped in a couple spots can't you just z-drag it off w/o much trouble?
It's the government - 3 guys leaning on a shovel and one guy in the hole digging.

Old 06-16-2009   #13
GoBro

BZN, Montana
Paddling Since: 2008
So I got the call and drove up to the canyon to watch how the S&R runs a pin removal operation. I thought I could learn some stuff, and see how they approached the problem vs. how I was going to approach the problem. I was feeling pretty battered from the swim as well, and was happy not to get back in the water for another working. By the time I got there the boat was out but they told me they setup ropes like a foot entrapment and the boat just popped right off the rock. There was 5+ guys who were in the water on the other side of the river, and about 20 guys along the shore, chatting, holding throw bags, etc etc. They were using those rescue boards to negotiate the whitewater, and it was fun to see them return to the road side of the river while swallowing a lot of water (I got my fair share yesterday as well). The last guy to come to our side somehow required 6 or so throwbags until he finally was able to grab hold. Everyone involved was pretty cool about the whole thing, like someone else said I think they like to train. I was expecting to get shit from them, but they just checked my id and let me walk away with the boat after a quick chat about how they recovered. They did lose my bulkhead, but considering everything else was in the boat undamaged (pin kit, throwbag, shoes, waterbottle, loose footblock) I think I did alright. All things said and done though, I was expecting to make this recovery with 2 or 3 people self included, without the boat floating downstream any more. With all there resources I would think they could have executed a little cleaner recovery than freeing the boat and catching it downstream. Still KISS right? Thanks to S&R for getting the job done quick, and keeping my dry and warm!

Also, they removed the diesel that was there for a couple of weeks. It's in bad shape but still has some outfitting in it.

I'm going to take a couple days to relax, lick my wounds and find a replacement bulkhead.

-Glenn

glenn is online now   Reply With Quote