Old 10-31-2010   #11

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 09
That canoe is out of the water now

We were boating... or um... scraping along on the Lower Blue on Saturday 10.30.10 in a very loaded white water canoe. It is mostly out of the water, but pinned up on rocks on the river right. That river is soooo boney after they dropped the release out of the damn.

We were going to camp out on the river, but had a change of plans and had to break camp and float out. We were racing daylight or would have tried to pull it out.

I posted that I saw the canoe it in the lost and found section, before i saw this string. It's avoidable, but there still there. It's a big yellow plastic canoe. If you're going to free it, bring your mank boat. A loaded white water canoe did not equal good mank boat.

The put in for the Lower Blue is pretty sketch. It was icy and muddy. I took a big tumble and smacked my head on a rock. I still have the goose egg on the back of my head. Because we had mulitple loads and trips down, I didn't have my helmet on. I'd make sure that you have enough sense to lower your boat down with rope.

I would say the theme of this trip ended being, "common sense is not common." My buddy forgot his rope. It's okay, because I made up for the it by forgetting my keys to the shuttle vehicle, in his Westfalia at the put in. Again... common sense... I guess the biggest piece of common sense would have been to not run it at that level. We did run it safely and without real issue.

Happy Halloween Buzzards!

goofy_girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010   #12

Denver, Colorado
I've had days on the river like that. I'm glad you were all OK and had a good time anyway. Where did the term "mank boat" come from anyway? I'm guessing it means the boney/rocky stuff that gouges the crap out of the bottom of your boat.

LynneA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010   #13

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 09
correction: that canoe is exposed & above water

Realized after posting the title may make it sound like it is gone. I couldn't figure out how to edit the post from my phone.

goofy_girl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
canoe