Old 05-13-2007   #1

Grand Junction, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1987
Piedra Wood Warning

See my post on the main forum ran on 5/13 - 1090 CFS. Huge channel wide log in the runnout below the last Mudslide rapid in the channel to the left of the island - invisible from above - got pinned upsidedown under it - but was able to swim out under the log! Suggested line as of 5/13 is the left side of the river right channel around the island. Otherwise, the run was clean with a couple easy to see and avoid trees. There were two large logs bobbing in the river above the downstream box (the so called "first box" - the second one you reach as you paddle downstream) It won't take much more water for these to move - Have fun!

Barry Chamberlain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007   #2
no tengo

Baytopia, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1876
Isn't the suggested line below the eye the left side of the right channel anyways? Glad you made it out.

mania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007   #3

Glad you made it out ok! I heard the whole story from Josh yesterday. Another group and I ran that stretch a couple weeks ago. If I remember correctly, before I left to run it, I looked at the AWA description which said there was a log in the left channel. When we scouted the run, I looked for it and couldn't even find it from the right scouting bank. Maybe the island obstructed the view of the log. Anyway, we ran left. It sounds like that log may be a semi-permenant fixture in the rapid. Of course with the debris continually filling in the rapid, I wouldn't be surprised to find anything in there at any time. There's no metion of any logs in CRC, so it must be more recent.

This log must be well hidden, so heads up. Glad you made it ok!
cemartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007   #4

Grand Junction, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1987
Some previous posts mentioned wood in the right channel and recommended the left channel. The opposite is now true! Be Safe
Barry Chamberlain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by cemartin View Post
If I remember correctly, before I left to run it, I looked at the AWA description which said there was a log in the left channel. When we scouted the run, I looked for it and couldn't even find it from the right scouting bank. Maybe the island obstructed the view of the log. Anyway, we ran left.
I just looked over my post and I realized that I meant to say we ran right. Sorry for the confusion.
cemartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007   #6

The line to the left of the island is more fun/creeky and not for rubber.At the bottom of the slot is a river wide thinner log that at around 1000 was definately ok to boof. be careful and hit it you want to up the thrill factor a little.

boatingshrink is offline   Reply With Quote