Pending Government Shutdown: A reliable season of non-boating - Mountain Buzz

Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > River Access & Safety Alerts!

Old 09-22-2016   #1

cedar city, Utah
Pending Government Shutdown: A reliable season of non-boating

Just a public service announcement that has largely been lost in such a hotly contested election year but we are 8 days away from a possible government shutdown. I doubt either party wants it before the presidential election but it's fast approaching with no budget bridging party line ideologies. Those with permits on rivers with a put-in that experience historic closures may want to make a Plan B. Those rivers include: the Grand, Westwater, the rivers of Dino NP, etc. I know it's caught people off guard before so better prepare.

restrac2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016   #2

Steamboat Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
The Government passed something on Tuesday keeping the gov. open until Dec. 9 I beleive.
cain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016   #3

Salt Lake City, Utah
Paddling Since: 1969
Uh, no. There is no continuing resolution ("CR") yet, and Phillip's warning is timely - BUT, this is an election year, and speaking only for myself, I would be astonished if there is no CR that funds the USG until January 20, 2017. Pay attention, and VOTE!
B4otter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016   #4

Redmond, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1973
Paying attention and VOTING is always good advice.

But if anyone here thinks these spending/funding problems will be resolved in our lifetimes, they've got another think coming.

On your calendars. Mark off the CR expiration dates.
Plan accordingly.
If you can avoid Federal Put-ins around those dates.
BilloutWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016   #5

cedar city, Utah
I think we'll see a CR by next week but would be smart to have contingencies in place. BLM, USFS and NPS employees will all be deemed non-essential (except LEO) which means all offices would be closed come October 1st. I would have at least 1 verified backup locale in mind and hope it only comes up around the campfire on the Plan A river trip.
Old 09-22-2016   #6

Salt Lake City, Utah
Paddling Since: 1969
Philip, again, close but no cigar... yes, law enforcement officers/officials (usually referred to as just plain "LE") are broadly exempt from the drawdown/shutdown effects, BUT the bigger distinction is "essential" versus "non-essential" personnel. Not all BLM, USFS and NPS personnel fall into the latter category, and while a backup plan is always a good idea, ALL federal agencies have learned the value of communicating their current operating status & plans to the public - so info should be readily available.
When you VOTE, you might want to remember/consider which party has been responsible/continues to advocate for shutting down the USG over the last 20 years...just sayin'.
B4otter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016   #7

cedar city, Utah
Thx for clarity. I was trying to infer (it appears ineffectively) that historically they will not have personnel to provide permits or information beyond closure. Visitor Centers and offices will be closed for day to day business, correct? Hence calling next week when they are fully staffed.

Not interested in political discussion beyond how it affects our community's logistics if a closure happens. Hopefully people will take that to the Eddy.

On a side note, what rivers were people able to float last major closure? I vaguely remember the San Juan but could be wrong. Anybody have first hand experience?
Old 09-22-2016   #8

Salt Lake City, Utah
Paddling Since: 2008
Politics suck. Period.
tanderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016   #9

Steamboat Springs, Colorado
Your right. I miss read the article which said the Senate had passed some resolution to send onward. If you are launching on the 30th of Sept. you are already on the river and are good to go. Right??
cain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016   #10
Misspellingintothefuture!

Fraser, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by cain View Post
If you are launching on the 30th of Sept. you are already on the river and are good to go. Right??
I think so, if I remember correctly, there were only officers with guns, blockading the roads to the put ins last time, and of course, if you launched before the shutdown, you did not break the law.