Pending Government Shutdown: A reliable season of non-boating - Page 2 - Mountain Buzz

Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > River Access & Safety Alerts!

Old 09-23-2016   #11

Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Last time at Westwater the volunteer rangers stepped in and complimented the LEOs. No effect by the shutdown except the BLM rangers weren't around.

Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016   #12
Misspellingintothefuture!

Fraser, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
During the last shutdown, the State of Colorado managed to get Rocky Mountain National Park opened back up with state funding. Some other State Governments managed to do the same thing with some of our National Parks.
Some other super cool Federal employees volunteered there time to help keep some public lands open during that whole debacle.

Westwater BLM does do a really good job! I remember my first multi day down there at about 1000-2000 c.f.s. and having a brutal head wind, the Ranger gave us a push out with his motorized rig!
Old 09-24-2016   #13

Fraser, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008
grand trip

I have a October 1st-23rd Grand canyon trip coming up quick. Does anyone know what happened at lees ferry last time. Did anyone get turned away at lees ferry last time? Does anyone know of anyone that did?
A question for the person that started this thread: where are you getting you sources from? I cant seem to find anything on this subject with a simple google search. Thanks
davidlbunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016   #14

cedar city, Utah
Google "government shutdown 2016". We no longer seem to pass real budgets anymore so we have been stuck with "continuing resolutions" for about 8 years now. They should have passed one weeks ago but our legislators can't seem to even do the fundamentals of their job anymore. The 2017 budget year starts Oct 1 hence the pending threat of a shutdown.

You may be lucky as most folks arrive the day before their launch for a rigging window. They will shutdown the day you launch and the precedent is if you are in the gates the day before you are free to float. I would call to confirm. If a closure happens than the Lee's Ferry launch site will be closed and no boaters can proceed. Just search the MB archives to read the heartbreaking experiences from the last federal shutdown.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Mountain Buzz mobile app
restrac2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016   #15

Salt Lake City, Utah
Paddling Since: 1969
Fact check: Newt Gingrich - one of the finalists to be the running mate of the raccoon in the tanning bed with the dead squirrel on his head - first shut down the government back in 1995, I believe (might have been '96, but that's still 20 years ago). I remember because I suddenly was doing 3 jobs, not being lucky enough to be deemed "non-essential." And it happened 4 or 5 days before Christmas...

Last time NPS blockaded the entrance to Lee's Ferry and several private trips camped in Marble Canyon's parking lot waiting to see if they would be able to launch. They couldn't, but my understanding is they were given new lauch dates the following year (?) - not much consolation if you've already spent thousands, even tens of thousands to buy food, arrange shuttles, etc. for a Grand trip.

Other managing agencies on other rivers adopted different approaches. Some (WW and I believe MFS and maybe Main & Snake) were more accommodating.

No government shutdown has ever been perpetrated or supported by the other major party...
B4otter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016   #16

vernal, Utah
Paddling Since: 1986
All of Dinosaur National Monument was gated and locked at midnight on Oct 1, 2013. No one launched from Oct 1 until it was resolved some three weeks later. Deso was open with a sign that reminded boaters that there was no ranger patrol and to launch at their own risk as was the Flaming Gorge Dam. The gate at the Dam was not locked but we heard that it could be locked at anytime if managers were given the word to do so.
melmorr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016   #17

cedar city, Utah
Avoided by CR that lasts through December 9th. Should be signed no later than Friday. Down to the wire with roughly 48 hours before shutdown.

Take this time to push your reps to pass a budget or CR soon so our buddies with with winter launches aren't left high and dry. December may be more tempting for a shutdown since it will be during a critical lame duck session.

To be continued....
restrac2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016   #18

Jenks, Oklahoma
Instead of a CR, which keeps the previous outrageous budget in place, insist Congress goes to a Zero Based Budget for each department each year.

Zero Based meaning each department starts with a zero budget each year and they have to justify what ever budget they want with real justification in dollars they give the country in benefits.

This would clean out a lot of worthless money pits that CR's keep in business.
okieboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016   #19

salmon, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2004
One thing that was closed that I would not have thought of during the last government shutdown was the scat machines.. I had a bunch of friends that got on the rouge and ended up going to the machine on the Deschutes to clean their groover because it is state run.
codycleve is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016   #20

Hailey, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidlbunch View Post
I have a October 1st-23rd Grand canyon trip coming up quick. Does anyone know what happened at lees ferry last time. Did anyone get turned away at lees ferry last time? Does anyone know of anyone that did?
A question for the person that started this thread: where are you getting you sources from? I cant seem to find anything on this subject with a simple google search. Thanks
Yeah, I put on a day or two before the shutdown last time and we weren't really sure what would happen. We were fine, but I had many friends turned away who had launch dates during the closure.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2016-09-29 at 11.02.37 AM.png
Views:	44
Size:	370.4 KB
ID:	12355