Old 07-14-2011   #21

Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Yesterday's update.

This is the last one I can post for awhile. If interested, you can sign up for the updates or just keep abreast by using the link at the bottom. If someone would continue posting these that would be a great service.

-AH

Quote:
Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2011 17:47:55 -0500 (CDT)
Subject: Emergency Response News Release (Region Eight): EPA Update on Yellowstone River Oil Spill (Silvertip Pipeline), July 13, 2011

EPA Update on Yellowstone River Oil Spill (Silvertip Pipeline), July 13, 2011

Community meeting tonight, shoreline teams increase
Matthew Allen, (720) 237-7414; Libby Faulk, (406) 351-9014

(Billings, Mont --, July 13, 2011) At approximately 11:00 PM on Friday, July 1 a break occurred in a 12-inch pipeline owned by ExxonMobil that resulted in a spill of crude oil into the Yellowstone River approximately 20 miles upstream of Billings, Montana. The current estimate of the amount of oil released remains at 1,000 barrels based on information provided by ExxonMobil. EPA's primary concern is protecting people's health and the environment. EPA will remain on-site to ensure cleanup and restoration efforts do just that. EPA continues to hold ExxonMobil, the responsible party, accountable for assessment and cleanup.

Shoreline Cleanup & Assessment Technique (SCAT) teams are continuing to carefully assess and clean up the most heavily affected areas of the spill and are combing the riverbanks again today. SCAT teams will increase from 4 to 6 over the next few days. A Rapid Deployment SCAT team that EPA and MDEQ directed ExxonMobil to develop will be added as well to quickly address new sightings of removable oil and to delineate downstream shoreline impacts.

“As I stated yesterday, increased access means increased progress and we’re increasing the SCAT teams from four to six,” said Steve Merritt, EPA On-Scene Coordinator. “Including the Rapid Deployment team, that gives us seven teams to survey and confirm the extent and severity of shoreline oiling.”

Soil and sediment sampling continues, and cleanup activities will carry on as the samples are collected. Soil and sediment samples are used to determine locations where oil was transported and what compounds are present in the environment. This, in turn, will greatly assist with ongoing assessments and cleanup efforts.

There are 680 personnel on site with 460 currently in the field engaged in cleanup or sampling activities. Cleanup crews have used 43,000 linear feet of materials such as absorbent booms and sweeps, and 260,000 absorbent pads. There are 46 boats on scene as well. Declining floodwaters have given cleanup crews, SCAT teams, sampling teams, and scientists increased access to locations previously inaccessible.

EPA will hold a community meeting at the Laurel High School tonight, July 13th at 6:30 p.m. The high school is located at 203 East 8th Street in Laurel.

Tomorrow’s media availability session will be at 11 a.m. at the Crowne Plaza Hotel, 27 North 27th St in Billings. The Montana DEQ encourages people to call the Governor’s information line at 406-657-0231 with questions, concerns or comments, or visit Yellowstone River Oil Spill - mt.gov - Montana's Official State Website.

Press inquiries: press@epa.gov

Note: If a link above doesn't work, please copy and paste the URL into a browser.

View all Region 8 News Releases

Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011   #22

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 06
I recommend staying away from Exxon and BP pumps. Just in case "we" forgot...

1989 March 24, Prince William Sound, Alaska: tanker Exxon Valdez hit an undersea reef and spilled 10 million–plus gallons of oil into the water, causing the worst oil spill in U.S. history.

Old 07-15-2011   #23
LSB
Renaissance Redneck

Huson, Montana
Paddling Since: 1988
I just heard a NPR story last night from some goat farmers around Billings that can't even get through to a real person on the Exxon disaster response line. I wouldn't expect Exxon to be any more responsive than BP was in south Louisiana.
Old 07-15-2011   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. compassionate View Post
I find it pretty funny that you deride the "rich oil barons" when they provide you with practically everything you use in life including your plastic kayak and your means to get to the river or is your kayak wood and your means of transportation a horse.

Ok, I do not understand this logic (or lack of). Seems to me that the customers of a provider of a product are in the best position to hold the provider accountable for the damage the provider does.

The line or reasoning seems to be "since you use oil you can not complain about anything the oil companies do". Well, I'm a home builder so no one that lives in a home can complain about any of my envirnomental practices! I like this!

Although by this logic, scum bag kayakers living in their trucks are allowed
to complain, but they can be bought off with cheap beer, so all is good.

Rich is offline   Reply With Quote