Old 06-17-2013   #51
Avon, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1997
God bless you Chris. And incredible rescue fellas. That is crazy to watch.

ENDOMADNESS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013   #52
Evergreen, Colorado
Paddling Since: '92
That is so scary. I cant eat my lunch after watching that. So glad everyone is OK. Good work fellas.

"We're gonna need a bigger boat"
CBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013   #53
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
Wow fellas, I watched enough of that to realize how it intense it was. I understand why it took some time to want to discuss it or release any video footage.

I can tell you that the alert of this hazard has been very important. I was out there this past weekend and the water was pushing over to that side of the drop. Knowing the hazard was there, I was charging into the eddy above it and ferrying back over to the run the left side.
KSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013   #54
GWS, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1992
That is intense to watch. I am choked up thinking about a good friend that passed away in a waterfall pin.

You guys did a great job of not giving up.

I'd love to hear if anyone had a better idea (based on hindsight) on how to access the pinned kayaker.

I'd also like to point out a couple things that may seem obvious and that this crew did right. I do not mean to preach and there are way more qualified folks out there tan me but here are a couple observations.

1) It was key that those in the water were dressed appropriately. As a reminder, you can't help your friend who is about to die if you are hypothermic and not able to use your brain and muscle. As well, you give people a way better chance to save you if you are dressed appropriate. Even on a hot day your entire crew should be dressed super warm. Dress as if you plan to spend a lot of time in the river rescuing someone.

2) Stay alert enough to recognize you are getting tired, cold, etc. If you have the opportunity to change out being in the water like these guys did, you should.

3) Never give up. Whether it is trying to get the boater unpinned, trying to get your friend to shore, trying to go for help, hanging in there until you get rescued, trying to do CPR, or anything else. Do not give up.

4) Get as much 1st aid training as you are willing to take. You never know when you will need it and when you do need it, you always want more. I have been fortunate to only use minor first aid with my crew but have been the first on auto accidents in the middle of nowhere and on scene at a drowning at Black Rocks on Ruby. I was glad to have some knowledge but kept thinking I wish I had more.

Nice work crew!!
Mut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013   #55
Lakewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1989
Exhausting. I'm glad you published the footage. It's fascinating to see how video cams are changing the way we can evaluate and understand incidents. Personal recounts, no matter how accurate, will always be incomplete and biased. The camera enables a greater degree of impartiality when analyzing an incident.

I'd wager all of you aged a fair bit and grew some extra white hairs after that incident. Way to stick with it!
On the river, I can abandon who I am and what I've done. However brief it lasts, while on the river I am nothing important and everything insignificant. I am flotsam, and happy to be so.
hojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013   #56
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
Amazing rescue video. Shocking how long the pinned paddler was submerged, and more shocking that it turned out ok.

I assume he had a good air pocket under there. I can't imaging getting pummeled by water for 1/2 hour.

Also, completely agree with Mut's comments. Dress for the swim or the rescue. People give me goofy looks when they see I always wear a drysuit, but when you need it, its invaluable as a rescuer or a victim.
deepsouthpaddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013   #57
Dipshit with the most.
Bellevue, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1991
Thank you for releasing the vid.

Glad for the outcome. Even knowing that it was very hard to watch.

What impressed me:

How quickly every one moved.

The tenaciousness.

the guy going in without clothes or pfd at the end to help get him out.
There is a point where you don't want anymore victims and there is a point where you say fuck it, I am going to do what I can.

I applaud all of you for an immense, intense effort.
carvedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013   #58
pnw, Washington
Holy shit, I think I am going to go throw up now.
"Yesterday I was clever and tried to change the world. Today I am wise and try to change myself." -Rumi
gh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013   #59
West of Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1998
Wow, impressive work and commitment, thank you for sharing. I could hardly sit still and watch.
Chief Niwot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013   #60
Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1986
Aqualung boater

Truly incredible how long the paddler was under water, I mean he was invisible for most of that incident. I could feel for the camera man and his newfound lack of vocabulary. Those guys stuck with it to a good ending, and kept working hard at getting further into the fall until someone could actually grab him. Herculean effort actually, and I teared up when it became apparent those guys saved their buddy's life. I can't imagine what was going through the pinned paddler's mind for 40 minutes, prob seemed like 40 hours. Way to keep it together on all accounts.

DoStep is offline   Reply With Quote