Old 07-21-2011   #31
Abron Cabron
Santa Fe, Nuevo Mexico
Paddling Since: 1999
Damn, Glad you're ok Chris. thats some heavy shit. Good friends are the best thing in the world, (besides women, wine, song and beautiful babies) :]

abron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011   #32
Copper Mountain, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
I too paddle the burn, and absolutely stand by its performance. Did you have a foam block between your feet and the plastic foothold? or were your feet bracing on the plastic itself? My diesel 80(and L burn) has the same exact style of metal lock-in holes to a plastic block.

Cphilli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011   #33
C B, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1992

I got the Burn from Chris Menges,I was the third owner in a couple weeks but thats another long story. It is a 2010 model. Chris and I are about the same weight but I'm a couple inches taller. He had put the standard couple of inches of foam from the outfit package that you receive when you get the boat. Cut to fit tightly as always. Foam was rip out during the ordeal. Honestly we have talked about how the foot got trap but can not figure it out.
goodnoughc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011   #34
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
Lots of boats (dagger, LL, Pyranha) have the metal side rail design for the bulkhead. Its not clear if the foot was wedged, and the act of getting it out bent up the metal, or of the metal got bent first by a hit or dent to the nose somehow (or maybe combo). This seems to be a pretty rare incident, but still it makes you think about the entrapment hazards in your own boat. I have heard a few similar stories about peoples shoes getting caught up in bulkhead screws or hardware.

You could take the metal rail system out and simply foam the bulkhead out I guess. I have a jackson villain, and they did away with the metal side rails, so there is potentially less to get your legs snagged on (I like the jackson bulkhead design). The center pillars could get damaged and potentially block exit, so I don't think that there is a system that is 100% fool proof.

When you guys get time it would be interesting to hear more about how and where you got the ropes on the boat and what the rescue process was (ie what was successful and what wasn't). The hazard to avoid is great info. I also think we can learn a lot from what you guys did in such a technical rescue.

Thanks for sharing the info with the community.
deepsouthpaddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011   #35
Hey Ian,

We are still gonna do the accident/rescue report including the above info you requested. Might not be untill next week though. (Should I post it here or do it as a new thread?)

Re bulkheads - No idea how this happened but after seeing this I am gonna gorilla tape those metal bulkhead runners to the plastic of the boat as well as taping the small gaps between my bulkhead foam and the boat so that there is no place for a foot to slip through.

If the leg had not been caught up, all of this would have never gone down - it would have been a quick swim (with energy) to an eddy and then a boat recovery.
American Whitewater's website and river stewardship projects are funded by paddlers. Please join, renew, or make a donation to help us protect whitewater rivers in Colorado and nationwide.
Meng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011   #36
Land of Lovin, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
Did the boat have a piton dent in the front when you got out? I am wondering if the straps folded in when you pitoned if you hit hard enough to bend the plastic and deform the metal upon impact then got stuck. That looks horrifying - what is left of your bulkhead.
Jensjustduckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011   #37
C B, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1992
I didn't see the boat after the fact. When i saw it the next day it looked like any other creek boat. fine with scratches.
goodnoughc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011   #38
Durango, Colorado
skylinekelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011   #39
lookout mnt., Colorado
Paddling Since: 1989
don't buy any more boat's that Springer's fat ass has been in!
MCSkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011   #40
Big Sky, Montana
Paddling Since: 1995
That's funny, Springer's fat ass! Talk about booty beers...

afraid is offline   Reply With Quote