Old 07-20-2011   #21
pnw, Washington
From looking at the picture, I would have never imagined that the bulkhead would bend in like that. Its amazing that anyone got out of that boat.

"Yesterday I was clever and tried to change the world. Today I am wise and try to change myself." -Rumi
gh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011   #22
Boof like a Utard.
Moab, Utah
Paddling Since: 1995
Serious incident and the damage to that bulkhead is unreal. So glad everyone came out ok. Incredible recovery! Extraordinary responses to extraordinary circumstances both on and off the water. I'm with BobW on the police thing. Better not to make more victims. If he's the BobW I know from CB, then he's on SAR. I did a Grand trip with him years ago. Solid dude who speaks from the heart. Congratulations to everyone involved. So glad it worked out well.

kennyv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011   #23
Big Sky, Montana
Paddling Since: 1995
where's the picture of the bulkhead?
afraid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011   #24
Bozeman, Montana
Paddling Since: 1999
Main homepage
caspermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011   #25
C B, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1992
was busy with hypothermia

To shed light on the true question from NathanH.

I tried to get a booty beer down but everyone was ripping my clothes to get me warm from being submerged for 20min.

Then they took my boots off (thanks CB SAR) and put me in a litter to get me to the truck to get to the ambulance to get me to the ER.

Everyone must have forgot the protocol to get a booty beer down, once your off the water.

By the way NathanH,Are you the paddler that ran only the entrance drop on OBJ the weekand after the 4th of july? did you get your booty beer down after losing your paddle on the upper drop of OBJ?
goodnoughc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011   #26
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
Originally Posted by NathanH. View Post

To shed some light on a serious incident we need to ask the real question here:

Was a booty consumed?
This is rediculous. The guy was an inch from death, and you are asking about a booty beer?

Kayaking isn't a college drinking game... Yes we have a lot of fun, yes beer is sometimes the right call, but don't ever forget that things can go serious in a heartbeat.

Respect the creeks. This was a crew of seasoned locals who know the run better than most everyone. So many people play down OBJ and CB creeks. Low skilled plop and drop has been tossed around since the bible, and its one of the biggest misnomers out there. Low skill, until your buddy is pinned, your back is broken off the big one, or you get your body broken in one of the big slides.

Be careful, be safe...
deepsouthpaddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011   #27
C B, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1992
goodnoughc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011   #28
Wolcott, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
First off super glad that this nightmarish story had a happy ending. Amazing work by you and your crew to get you out. Since I paddled my Burn on OBJ not long ago and saw the pictures of your bulk head I had a couple of questions since it definately makes me wonder about the safety: Did you have any foam in your bulkhead or just the small block? Do you think it would have made any difference to have the big foot block plus foamed out? I have the big one in with about 8 inches of foam and wonder if that would give it any additional support. I love the Burn design but do not like the outfitting at all.
JDHOG72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011   #29
When, and if you release the video, the ending scene should be you drinking your booty beer. That would be boss! What a story to tell your grand kids one day. Great job by your crew and you to survive. Will definitely be taking more caution on that drop as well as remembering this as a reminder to keep my wits about me on all flowing water.
Ryanrugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011   #30
Come on guys, fuck the booty beer, the man is lucky to be alive. This should stay a serious thread.

My opinion, what Chris said in the original post is what matters, there is a hazard in that drop that everyone should be aware of. It does nothing for anyone to see a video of someone drinking beer from a booty.

Nathan is offline   Reply With Quote