Old 08-05-2013   #21
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Originally Posted by KSC View Post
What do you rate Mystery Eddy Hojo? Class II? Pete swam there, so it must be harder than that - then again he also swam Rigo at like 250 cfs.
Wow, as a guy who keeps shit-talking to a minimum on here, I'm surprised to see the dirty laundry of my paddling season so publicly aired... To be honest, I don't remember Swimming Mystery Eddy, but that is probably because it got lost in the shuffle of all my other swims this year:

-Myers Pool (long story)
-Somewhere in Brown's Canyon
-Waterton (at the lake)
-That hole in Screaming Quarter Mile whose name -for the life of me- I cannot remember. At 200 cfs.
-Oh, and that swim at Rigo was at 240 cfs.

Given the flaws in our rating system, I pay less attention to how a rapid/river is rated and more to the particular attributes of that rapid or river. From there, it goes through the filter of my own paddling biases, the odds of success are calculated along with the consequences of failure and a decision is made. I know folks have tried to make our system like a climbing system in the past, but it never really caught on.

Rarely do I hear a person say "I won't run Supermax because it is Class V". Instead I hear "I won't run it because of the undercut" or I won't run The Narrows at 1000 because a swim in Mr. Bill will be terrifying", "I won't run SSV because I can't afford a new boat" or "I won't run Rigo at 240 because Pete is an awesome boater and he swam there."

pbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013   #22
Denver, Colorado
You guys will be interested in the way they rate things on WaldensRidgeWhiteWater. go to classifications.They surveyed boaters with 10 years or 100 different runs experience and compiled a peer reviewed spreadsheet .You may also be interested in the list of comparitive ratings for Eastern rapids including same rapid at various levels...

remember Corran Addison 's 3 part rating that took into consideration skill.required -remoteness -consequences, never caught on.

Cali.boaters definitely seem to rate things as easier than we do bear that in mind on MayanWhitewater or Sierra Rios sites...don 't think they sandbagjust different perspectives and frame of reference

cayo 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013   #23
Denver, Colorado
also.pretty cool how you can download all or part of their guidebook
cayo 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013   #24
The warning about the stick in the middle of Mystery Eddy Rapid got buried by others in this thread. It's still there and getting harder to see from upstream.

cadster is offline   Reply With Quote