Old 04-08-2009   #31

Arvada (Denver), Colorado
For a mere Seven MILLION Five Hundred Thousand Dollars...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
Not sure but is this the ranch??

http://amountainhome.net/index2207.html?p=3
For a mere $7,500,000.00, you, too, can own the beauteeful 850 acre, .8 mile of river frontage, Valley View Ranch!

(originally submitted 12/7/2007)

This is, imho, the reason they want the public out.

Ole Rivers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009   #32

Park City, Utah
Paddling Since: 1985
And... Pardon the threadjacking but there's something that bothers me about these folks that modify the riverbed for "habitat improvements." Don't they need a permit from the USACOE to modify the riverbanks and bottom? Why can landowners make these river modifications but whitewater improvements require a substantial permit process?

Every piece of habitat improvement that I have encountered has been bringing a river bed that was mined and dregged back to a more natural flow. It is a positive for pretty much everyone, but agree I'd like to have someone giving the green light before every landowner starts up their Cat.

Old 04-08-2009   #33

Lake City, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1990
no Fuzzy. That ranch on the real estate site is a different ranch.
doughboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009   #34

Lake City, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by yetigonecrazy View Post
My take on it is this:

The guy spent millions of dollars to improve the riverbed for fishing and for the economic prosperity of his resort. This I have no problem with. Now he doesn't want the floaters to come through because he doesn't want people to fish in the improvements he spent so much to build. This is where I make my stand. I don't think we should be fishing in the reaches along his property, IF, he allows us access to just scoot through. I honestly think it's kinda rude to fish in an area like that, and as long as he lets people float through there is no big deal. My big problem is when he restricts access altogether.

There is a situation on the Gunnison that has resolved itself pretty well over the years just below town where it goes through private property owned by these (fortunately very nice) folks from texas. They spent a whole bunch of money a number of years back to re-shape the riverbed into prime fishing country. Now, they are kind enough to let folks float though, but they strongly discourage fishing in that area, and most of the folks that run the river comply with those wishes, because the Moncriefs do allow us to run through without problem.

I know some of you are serious fishermen and will disagree with me on this, but that is how I feel. Let us pass through, and we will do so quietly and quickly, and we'll refrain from fishing until the public areas. Seems a little bit like giving in to him, but its really not.

The Moncriefs have never "let me pass through" but somehow I always have
Old 04-13-2009   #35

Henderson, Nevada
Paddling Since: 1999
Lake Fork Needs Floated

To All,

This is my first post and I agree with Doughboy, the Lake Fork needs to be floated in order to preserve our "Right To Float". If Colorado law states "all water is public property" then Land Owners need to obey these laws-not just be able to pick and choose the laws to obey cause they have a fat wallet. I have only floated the Lake Fork four or five times and do agree that this is one of the best floats in the San Juans. I am not the expert angler yet have hung into some huge state record fish on this stretch of water-but have practiced catch and release. Sounds like Doughboy knows more about the local area-but any questions or concerns-message me.

PROTECT OUR RIGHT TO FLOAT
Duke
JDOUTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009   #36

Lake City, Colorado
The LF is running 370 today so if anyone is looking for a float this weekend let me know and I will join you