Old 04-05-2011   #1

North Fork, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1980
New rapid on Main Salmon in Idaho

I just got some pictures of a new rapid caused by a blowout on Black Creek below Salmon Falls. There is also a log jam that has backed water up to flood out the falls. Any other reports on this? With the snowpack this year, it should have a good high water run to clear the jam before the permit season gets too far underway. The first picture is looking downriver at Salmon Falls. The others are self explanatory. Black creek usually is a pretty small run...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SalmonFalls_NoMore.jpg
Views:	604
Size:	61.5 KB
ID:	3411   Click image for larger version

Name:	New_Rapid_Salmon_at_BlackCreek 067.jpg
Views:	774
Size:	64.4 KB
ID:	3412  

Click image for larger version

Name:	New_Rapid_Salmon_at_BlackCreek 104.jpg
Views:	1136
Size:	60.6 KB
ID:	3413  

eideho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011   #2
BCJ

Grand Junction, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1978
Thanks for this post. I agree it will probably clear out with the spring runoff but a good "heads up" anyway.

BCJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011   #3
Ty Thomas

Boise, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1997
I just talked with a jet boat friend who does our jet back every year and he said that it is really impressive in person! He also had the same opinion that it will likely clear out with the onset of high water in the coming weeks. Good to make note of it before hand though.

ty
Pulsefabrivergear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011   #4

Helena, Montana
Paddling Since: 96
thanks for the heads up
Old 04-07-2011   #5

Salt Lake City, Utah
Paddling Since: 1998
Interesting...I have a May 28th put-in on the Main. I wonder how conditions will progress by then.
Pcdc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011   #6

North Fork, Idaho
Update on Salmon River blockage

Here is the latest from the Idaho Falls Post Register this morning:

A logjam is blocking the Salmon River in the middle of the Frank Church-River of No Return Wilderness.
The U.S. Forest Service said Thursday that the Black Creek drainage on the Main Salmon River had blown out sometime around April 1.
The blowout hit the river roughly a half-mile below Salmon Falls, creating a new rapid. Slack water above the new rapid completely covers Salmon Falls, one of the famed rapids on the river.
Trees and other woody debris blown out of the Black Creek drainage have blocked the river approximately one-eighth of a mile below the new rapid, making the river impassable.
There are no floaters on the Salmon River at this time, the Forest Service said in the news release.
North Fork District Ranger Russ Bacon has decided the current situation does not warrant Forest Service action right now. "As there are currently no values at risk, we'll wait and see what happens in high water," he said in a news release. "Hopefully the logjam will be opened up and the new rapid will be somewhat modified to make for easier running."
Jim O'Connor, owner of the Arctic Creek Lodge, which is about a half-mile above the new rapid, said the logjam isn't affecting business right now. He believes high water will bust the logjam loose, but he worries about the new rapid changing his business. "If I can't run that rapid, it could really affect my business," he said. "Right now, I don't know what is going to happen." Like the Forest Service, O'Connor said he is going to wait and see what happens when high water hits in June.
In 2006, the Forest Service used explosives to clear a large logjam that had completely blocked the Middle Fork of Salmon River at the Pistol Creek Rapid. In that case, nearly 350 boaters, who had launched before the logjam occurred, were trapped above the obstacle, necessitating the use of dynamite.
Old 04-18-2011   #7

Phoenix, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2000
I am putting on june 20th. maybe we can talk about some of the finer points of your trip. any extra info will be much appreciated. safe travels for you and your friends.
jackinjacksonhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011   #8

Bend, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2004
Here are a list of articles that take about the new rapid.

April 7th
Flood dams up Salmon River - Standard-Examiner

April 21
Update on log jam and new rapid on the Salmon River | Voices.IdahoStatesman.com

April 27
More details come in on new Salmon River rapid | Voices.IdahoStatesman.com
backwardsraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011   #9

North Fork, Idaho
Thanks for the update. I had heard from an outfitter that jet boats had a path, but would be interesting for rafts through the logjam. Water has been rising slightly with 2 days of 60 degree highs, but high water may be late this year if the cool weather holds. I have a late float down so I will be monitoring all who go before me....
Old 04-29-2011   #10

Unincorporated Douglas County, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Here are some new photos from Salmon - Challis NF website

Salmon-Challis National Forest - Recreational Activities