Old 05-08-2010   #1

durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
new log in piedra

There is a log in the crux of Lone Pine of the piedra. it is almost perpendicular to the water but hard to avoid. I was ferrying at hard and driving hard left and still hit it with the tail of my raft. more on this later for sure.

sanjuanbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010   #2

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Thank you for initiating this post Shaggy. I'm not sure of the name of the rapid in question, either way it is the last major rapid in the upper gorge and really the only class four up there. . . I need to stress the importance of having your eyes open on this rapid as the tree in question is in an EXTREMELY nasty position at the very bottom of the rapid where all of the power of the river funnels directly into it, there is a hole directly above the strainer and a swim here is potentially deadly. . . Please do not under estimate the importance of having some safety pre-set in the middle to end of this rapid until said tree is removed. . Which I believe is in the works.

Fischer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010   #3

Durango, Colorado
Been hearing reports that somebody got stuck in this strainer and died yesterday. Don't know full details but supposedly the body has not been recovered.

Be careful out there.
storm11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010   #4

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 06
Confirmed death on the Piedra. Search and rescue extracted today (5/8/10) AM. I have no other details.

We ran the lower and I must say "we" need to think about doing some wood extraction work. A swim at the eye is also potentially fatal as of today there are three (3) strainers. 90% of the current heads toward one of these and if you make it past it there are 2 more to deal with. At lower water there is also a tea bagger in 1st mud (it is completely covered at this point and maybe has flushed?).

Very somber run today as I walked the Eye for only the second time in my career. Let me know if some rafters want to do some work, I will ride along.

more and more condolences to the adventurous spirit that has passed.
Old 05-08-2010   #5
no tengo

Baytopia, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1876
i was with rg5 today and with all that went down I am just happy it wasn't worse. we had a good run but... there is wood in Lucifers and obviously wood in the upper section.

I am so sad to hear about the fatality. be safe. - mania
mania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010   #6

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fischer View Post
. I'm not sure of the name of the rapid in question, either way it is the last major rapid in the upper gorge and really the only class four up there.
I would like to clarify from my first post on this matter that there are two significant rapids on the upper section, the first is commonly known as 'lone pine' - this is the steeper and longer of the two, and where the current fatal wood is {still there}. . the second is refered to as 'sandstone' rapid and is the last biger rapid in the upper section. . .
There is obviously a lot of wood scattered throughout the run, so please be extremely careful, and lets make an effort to get some crews in there soon to remove as much as we can.
Fischer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010   #7

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 06
I am trying to organize something for this week, perhaps Thursday, problem is the flows are gonna get bananas asap.

OHHH-there is a pyranha kayak in the lower gorge (per 5/8/10), river left. The boater is safe. Just below "big drop" about rapid #3 or #4. If you do go and have the room and the kindness I am sure the guy would shoot you a rescue 30 rack or something.

Thanks for clarifying Fisc, I was actually thinking you meant "sanstone" in your first post.

I know of at least 3 trees that should be removed, above being 1st. Since the water came up I have not seen the middle channel log in 1st mud. Also, per above there are 2 serious trees in the run out of EYE, and one lower that seems like a non issue.

The lower road is confirmed open now by the way.
Old 05-09-2010   #8

d-town, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1990
The rapid is limestone.my condolences.
oldschooler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010   #9
Spits Hot Fire

N. Cascades, Washington
Already. That sucks man. Condolences.
FLOWTORCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010   #10
Kjirsten

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 05
My condolences go out to those who were there on Friday. They did what they could and had to boat out afterward. My heart is breaking for you guys.

"There is NOTHING--absolute nothing--half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats. Look here! If you've really nothing else on hand this morning, supposing we drop down the river together, and have a long day of it?" -Wind in the Willows
TakemetotheRiver is offline   Reply With Quote