Old 05-09-2010   #11

Professional Transient, See above.
Sorry to hear about this. Condolences to everyone involved.

rg5- I'll be back in town this week. If you do go in there to cut some wood give me a call. If I'm there I'm game.

st2eelpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010   #12

durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
dana im down for a clean up mission my number is 970 903 8986.
the log in lone pine is removed. who knows where it floated to though.

shaggy

sanjuanbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010   #13

Durango/Pagosa, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
For those of you out there still looking for information on the extraction of the victim and removal of the strainer in "LONEPINE" rapid on the Piedra River (which is the first class IV on the upper section) Search and Rescue called upon the P.R.O. (s) at Pagosa Rafting Outfitters and Wilderness Journeys based in Pagosa Springs, they assembled a crack team of experinced guides and after 3 1/2 HRs at the site, the team was able to cut and remove the entire strainer, and exract the victim from the upper box. Ropes, Belays, Chainsaws and Comealongs were required to preform the extraction. A heavy duty tow strap and comealong are still left at the extraction site, attached to remaining piece of the original strainer, this will serve as a reminder for all of us out there to RESPECT the WATER, no matter where you are and what your experience level is. From all 13 of us, we send our condolences to the family and freinds.
BJDeVoti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010   #14

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
heres the news article from abc news 7, appears as it was a commercial trip.
what a terrible shame.

Gypsum Man Dies In Rafting Accident - Denver News Story - KMGH Denver
Kendo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010   #15

Littleton, Colorado
Paddling Since: 98
Condolences to the family of the departed and to all the fine folks that attempted rescue and participated in the recovery.

Be safe out there.
slavetotheflyrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010   #16

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
Sincerest condolences

Such tragic and terrible news. My heartfelt condolences go out to Robert's family and friends and those who were on the river with him that day. Take care out there.

Mark
ibyakn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010   #17

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
It was a strange day on the river, for sure. Our group, on a first trip here, drove to the upper box put in Saturday afternoon, and were told of the accident, so we went to the put in for the lower box and got there as the body was being pulled off a raft. I think at least one family member was there at the scene. The search and rescue team handled everything with dignity. Running the lower box was a little creepy that night. The next morning we went back to the upper put in and ran through the area where the drowning occurred--the comealong and webbing were still on the tree stump in the canyon. The rapid where the accident happened couldn't have been more than a III+, but like everywhere else on the Piedra, the wood seems more dangerous than the rocks and water. It's a river that everyone in our group felt like we didn't want to swim no matter what. There are logs hanging into the water, below water line, perched to fall into the water, etc. This would be no sort of river to raft or kayak on unless you were absolutely certain not to swim (is that possible). Saturday was a very strange vibe; Sunday the sun was out--an amazing day. I was creeped out enough to walk the Eye two days in a row, though some in our group still ran it. Condolences to the family. Many thanks to the Search and Rescue folks who did admirable work on a difficult job. Lessons to learn from this? I don't know. But the wood on the Piedra is a big issue. A swim anywhere on that river (raft or kayak) could be tragic. There is so much shifting wood that it seems nearly impossible to get a good read on what's going on in the day to day. As this was our first trip to the Piedra, I'd defer to the locals for lessons learned as I'm thinking they have tons more experience with the river, but it seems like if this is going to be a viable rafting river, something more large scale will have to be done about the 100's of giant pines overhanging the river in varying states of giving in to gravity and water. Any thoughts on this?
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010   #18

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 06
Someone mentioned the wood is out of Lone Pine rapid now. Can I (we) get a confirmation on that?

Let it be said Lone Pine typically is the rapid that catches the wood first and is worthy of a scout as it is Class IV and once you are in it there is minimal opportunity to stop. This rapid (for clarification) is the 1st major rapid in the upper box and has a boulder slot entrance just after a sharp right turn in the river. Scouting can be done just above the bend on river right. After you pass the boulder slot you are in the rapid.

I will start another post to see about getting in there and at least cleaning up those logs in the run out of Eye.
Old 05-10-2010   #19
mgk

As of yesterday (Sunday 5/9) at around noon, there was no obvious wood in the 2 major rapids of the upper box, or any of the major rapids for that matter. Just the above-mentioned wood in the runout of Eye of the Needle and the usual (avoidable) wood in the class II-III sections.
The level was about 1500, so maybe there is wood but it is underwater? Be careful out there.
mgk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010   #20

Edwards, Colorado
Scott was a local boy here. Had what some would call a few rough years but graduated from Red Canyon High School in 2008. The Class of 2009 invited him to speak at their graduation. I heard his speech and it was a strong, moving message. Good kid. There are a lot of sad kids in the valley right now, including my own.

Be careful out there.

SBlue is offline   Reply With Quote