Old 10-20-2010   #1
KB

morrison, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1991
Send a message via MSN to kburris
Morrison/Bear Creek WW Park

Morrison Town has upcoming board meetings (date TBD) and although they do not know about this yet. We will be discussing the potential for a WW Park. There is good gradient and we have decent flows of ~ 100 to 400 CFS between May 1 - July 1st. This is a call for kayakers to come and speak to the board in support of a project. Please PM me and I will put you on a contact list. Thx!

kburris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010   #2

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
"we have decent flows of ~ 100 to 400 CFS between May 1 - July 1st"

Really?

jmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010   #3
KB

morrison, Colorado
Flows: Click on water year

OK this is small front range stream -but it runs. It would be nice to see enhanced habitat, bigger fish, swimming holes for the kids & flood stage kayak play holes when you're done running no-fun falls.
Go to Eddy Flower Bear Creek and click on CFS, and then on Water Year to see average flows.
Old 10-20-2010   #4
KSC

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
Not saying a development along the creek would be a bad idea, but the flows don't offer much for kayaking. I think your flow estimates are way overly optimistic. I just took a quick look at 2000-2009 data for the Bear Creek at Morrison gauge.

2000: 0 days over 100 cfs, median flows for May = 47, median flows for June = 26

2001: 0 days over 100 cfs, may median = 71, june media = 35

2002: Uh, barely wet - big drought year, median flows < 15 cfs

2003: Ran over 100 cfs for Apr, May, first week of June. Apr med = 170, May median = 124, June median = 93.9

2004: 0 days over 100 cfs, May median = 60, June median = 46

2005: over 100 cfs: half of april, all of may, 1/4 of june, apr med =- 86, may median = 146, june median = 95

2006: 0 days over 100 cfs: apr median = 19, may median = 21, june median = 10

Well, you get the idea, right? A good half the years the flow never even goes over 100 cfs. The other years the median flow might crest 150 in the best month and only rarely do you see flows over 200 cfs.

My observation on a WW park is < 100 cfs you're not going to be able to build any worthwhile feature. 100-200 cfs you might be able to get a small hole going good enough to play around in a little.

If I was the city of Morrison I sure wouldn't be thinking this is going to be a big draw for kayakers, esp. with Golden just down the street which gets much higher flows for a much longer season and much mor reliably (not that Golden is a great park, but it at least is wet).

I applaud your initiative to try and get some recreational improvements going, but presenting false data isn't going to be good for anyone. "decent flows of ~ 100 to 400 CFS between May 1 - July 1st." is definitely not true.
KSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010   #5

Indian Hills, Colorado
FYI, I understand that Bear Creek has miserable water quality during summer low flow conditions; swimming holes may not be well advised, particularly for the kiddies.

I'm in agreement with JMack that flows are rarely there to justify a WW park. Even if Bear is at 150 cfs in June, you'll find most kayakers on everything else in the state that is running.

However, enhanced fish habitat is a GREAT GREAT GREAT idea.

Morrison Bear Creek average flows:
DanOrion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010   #6
KB

morrison, Colorado
We need to find a way to show support and protect Bear Creek. I agree with your points. Here's some background. Mo-town council was approached by home owners interested in buying up a section of both banks of Bear Creek. Townies and town employees used to use the creek as their personal landfill. I'm involved in making sure that riparian reclamation takes place. Granted - this is no Clear Creek - but it does run and there are Buzzards who could help the cause. If we as a kayaking community don't protect access and enhance habitat then who are we ?
Old 10-20-2010   #7

Detroit, Michigan
Paddling Since: 2009
+1 on fisherman friendly developements
Old 10-20-2010   #8
GoBro

BZN, Montana
Paddling Since: 2008
Having another failure of a kayak park on the front range isn't needed. Call it what it is, stream habitat and fishing improvements.
glenn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010   #9

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
I wonder if in the name of enhanced habitat, you could do pool improvement that would be great for fish and Ok for more of a beginner kayaking section. Maybe a feature that would work when it was flowing, as long as it still was ok while it was low.

(seven two 0)-298-2242
Dave Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010   #10

student
Bear creek is not a kayak run it is a novelty run. How about we focus on a real drainage like the poudre.

paulk is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ark