Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > River Access & Safety Alerts!

Old 02-25-2011   #1

Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Mineral Bottom Road opening tentatively scheduled for 3/29/11

This from the BLM:

Quote:
Pre-announcement from the BLM is that this road will open to traffic on Tuesday March 29. An actual news release will be issued at a later date.

Amy
Recreation Assistant
Price BLM

Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011   #2

Unincorporated Douglas County, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1896
Tag-a-long was doing put-ins at Spring Canyon last year, Tex's said the road was too narrow. It's about a day above Mineral. We put in there in October and it was easily do-able by canoe. Access is really weather dependent, even worse than Mineral. A raft would be questionable but probably a small one like a 14' could be done. The bank down from the road is not steep, but it would be difficult to fill a raft and move it and all the gear down.

JohnR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011   #3

Wheat Ridge, Colorado
The Canyonlands Natural History Association reported on Facebook that the Mineral Bottom Road is now repaired and open to the public.
Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Old 03-30-2011   #4
o_O

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2009
Press release from last month:

http://www.blm.gov/pgdata/etc/medial...BottomRoad.pdf
Bayou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011   #5

Steamboat, Colorado!
Paddling Since: 2005
God bless anyone who wants to drive that.... F that road
jen84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011   #6

Jenks, Oklahoma
Hope the new road is a bit wider than the old one.

I know in a full sized Ford Pickup, seated at the outside window, I could swear I was looking straight down the cliff face. Outside tires if not over the edge partially, had to be an inch or less from the edge.

Grew up driving mountain back roads - the drive into and out of Mineral Bottoms had me sweating bullets!!!!
okieboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011   #7

pocatello, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1991
I had never seen the road and didn't think much of it.

I took my 7 month pregnant wife on a spring break trip 5 years ago. According to the ranger we were the first to launch from the state park that year. The shuttle drivers had not done a shuttle yet either.

The lady gave me a hard time about having a slightly big cargo trailer and said only 1 of their drivers could get it in there. I thought she was being ridiculous. She said they might leave it on the rim and we would have to figure out how to get our stuff out.

We did the trip and it was snowing most of the time. We got to the take out and looked at the road. It was ridiculous looking. Somehow the shuttle had gotten the trailer down there on a dry day. we got it out in a light snow. I was unsure if it was going to pull us off the mountain at times.

It was super fun. If I lived closer I would drive that road just for fun. there aren't many roads that have overhang above your vehicle, which is also more road.
fiya79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011   #8

Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiya79 View Post
We got to the take out and looked at the road. It was ridiculous looking. Somehow the shuttle had gotten the trailer down there on a dry day. we got it out in a light snow. I was unsure if it was going to pull us off the mountain at times.
I think the old rusting hulks of cars on the slopes gives it a special ambience. Hopefully they didn't remove those when the did the work.
Old 03-30-2011   #9

BV, CO
Paddling Since: 96
Drove the Shafer Trail Road down to the Potash Road on Sunday. Other side of the park. Similar and dam scary.
Phil U. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011   #10

Austin, Texas
Paddling Since: 1990
The roads are sick fun! I have riden my mtn bike from Shafer to Mineral Bottom twice and drove it in the Tacoma. Good to know the road is fixed. Fun area!

liquidphoto is offline   Reply With Quote