Old 06-14-2011   #1

Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Middle Fork Invasive Species Implementation

Received from UtahRafters. I have no information other than what I'm passing on third hand. -AH

Quote:
-----Original Message-----
Sent: Tuesday, June 14, 2011 6:56 PM
To:
Subject: [utahrafters] Middle Fork Invasive Species Implementation - begine June 8, 2011

Boundary and Indian Creek Launch Site Aquatic Invasive Species (AIS) Screening Protocol

Implementation begins June 8, 2011

The Middle Fork Ranger District has begun checking all boats before they are put into the waters of the Middle Fork of the Salmon River in an effort to prevent Aquatic Invasive Species from reaching our beloved river systems. This requirement is also being implemented to comply with the Biological Opinion (BO) regarding mitigations for spawning Chinook salmon in the Middle Fork of the Salmon.

Middle Fork boaters are a very environmentally conscientious group, and while we recognize that this will impact the launch portion of your trip, we are asking for your patience as we work to comply with the BO and to protect this river we cherish.

Effective immediately, all boats must be screened before going into the eddy. Boaters must establish contact with Forest Service Launch Site Personnel during normal business hours to obtain approval to put their boats in the water. Do not disturb Forest Service employees in their residences outside of normal business hours for AIS screening. Boats flown into Indian Creek and all craft launching at Boundary Creek after it is staffed cannot be put into the eddy until a Forest Service person has checked them.

When Boundary Creek is not staffed, or if launching below Indian Creek, all boaters are asked to be extra vigilant in ensuring that all boats are clean, drained and dry before launching. Please use the information below for education and inspection information.
This will apply to everyone (private & commercial, IKs to sweep boats). Boaters are encouraged to arrange unloaded boats in an orderly fashion to allow ease of evaluation and increased efficiency at the launch site. Forest Service Launch Site Personnel will perform evaluations with Permit Holder and Trip Leader.

Launch Site Personnel will determine the relative risk by first going through the Low Risk criteria. If boat meets one or more of these criteria, they will likely authorize access to the eddy. Otherwise, they will review for High Risk criteria and perform an inspection before the craft is allowed to launch.

Low risk boats: checkers may authorize to enter the river (no physical inspection required).
High risk boats need to be inspected before entering the river.
Inspection:
Combination of a visual examination and hands on assessment, which is focused on seams and crevices where mud, plants and snails are most likely to be found. If the inspection finds the boat to be clean or free of mud, plant or animal debris and has no standing water: checker can give permission for boat to enter the river. If the inspection discovers mud, plant or animal debris and/or standing water, the checker will ask the owner to clean and/or drain the boat as far away from the river as practical. The debris or water should not have a chance to enter the river or the wet zone adjacent to the river. Then checkers will REINSPECT.

If a boat fails inspection, or owner refuses to clean or drain a craft as requested, no launch permit will be issued.
Persons entering, or being on the permitted section of the Middle Fork of the Salmon river without a permit may be citied under 36 CFR 261.58 (z). Threatening, resisting, intimidating, or interfering with a Forest Officer engaged in the performance of his/her duty may be citied under 36 CFR 261.3 (a).

The Biological Opinion is available on our website at: Salmon-Challis National Forest - Recreational Activities . Materials about preventing the spread of invasive species aquatics and noxious weeds (terrestrials) are also posted.

Questions may be emailed to: middlefork@fs.fed.us, or called into 208.879.4101.

Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011   #2

Newberg, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1981
A clean raft is a good raft! Last year we had a boat inspection just outside of Lewiston.They where very thourough.I don't know about other states,in oregon I pay for 7 invasive spiecies stickers(the cost is added to my boat regisrtations) I buy 1 for Idaho.Then I have to pay for another one for my paddle/ore boats in Oregon.I have never seen a zebra mussel but I can tell you that the Willamette has some kind of terrestrials that are awful.The sea weed in the upper willamette sucks! So I hope my contribuitions to the prevention of invasive species helps kick that crap back to asia! I think most of the launch ramps will have inspection stations in the near future.

jpbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011   #3
Cpt. No Scout

In a Van, Down By the River
Paddling Since: 91
There is a check station less than a 1/4 mile from my house. I get checked all the time and the boys know me by name. A couple tips. First, lamanate the sticker and punch a hole through the plastic and zip tie it to your boat. If you know you will hit a check station. Get as much gear out of your boat as possible. Wipe down the boat with a towel and remove all trash and vegatation from the boat. If you can, remove all rope from the boat. 303 your boat and you'll be good to go. If your boat is dusty or muddy from the transporting, you must clean it first. Smile and thank the inspectors and everything will be fine.
idahofloater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011   #4

San Juans, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
So the feds (Forest Service) are beginning to implement/enforce state laws in ID?

I'm all for keeping invasive species from waterways, but I am pretty sure that rafts, and ecspecially catarafts (no bailing floors with cervasses) are the problem. I'd like to know of one instance where a whitewater kayak has been harboring mollusks. Could a kayak forgo the check if they seal launch the boundary boat ramp? That would scrape off all things on the bottom.
dgosn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011   #5
Cpt. No Scout

In a Van, Down By the River
Paddling Since: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgosn View Post
So the feds (Forest Service) are beginning to implement/enforce state laws in ID?

I'm all for keeping invasive species from waterways, but I am pretty sure that rafts, and ecspecially catarafts (no bailing floors with cervasses) are the problem. I'd like to know of one instance where a whitewater kayak has been harboring mollusks. Could a kayak forgo the check if they seal launch the boundary boat ramp? That would scrape off all things on the bottom.
FS will not write tickets for not having stickers. They will not call the popo and have you arrested. They just wont let you on the river until your boat is clean and complient. The FS is mostly looking for vegatation. We have all kinds of nasty weeds that grow in lakes. its about more then just bearded clams you know??
idahofloater is offline   Reply With Quote