MFS late season cancellations solution - Page 3 - Mountain Buzz

Old 07-29-2016   #21

Paddling Since: 1994
I'm with you dude. Even without the biological evidence, of which there is plenty, the fact that if permits don't cancel and it is fine for that number of users to go down the river, it means that they should be reissued.

(warning, thread tangent below)
I have been dealing with this problem in Colorado for hunting tags. If tags won in the lottery are turned in for a refund they don't get put on the online leftover tag list. This keeps money out of the CPW pocket, makes it impossible to meet harvest goals, and keeps desirable tags out of hunters hands. The main unit I hunt in has 30 cow tags. CPW and local ranches want those 30 cows harvested. Last year there were 4 people I new that had tags in the unit that had things come up and the turned in their tags months in advance for refunds. Thats 4 out of 30 tags that were unavailable. I didnt draw so I ended up having to hunt with an over the counter tag instead of picking up a tag in the unit I know. CPW has a leftover system that tags automatically go into if they arent drawn in the lottery. It just doent seem that complicated a thing in todays world of software to have refunded tags get listed on the leftover list. A tag gets turned in, entered in the system and the refund is issued. Why at that point is isnt auto entered into the leftover list is crazy. This kind of shit frustrates me to no end.

If a tag or permit is there to be used, let someone use it. Collect the fees associated, let users use whats allocated and everyone wins.

Here we are thinking of raising money for a lawsuit that will potentially let us use the user days we already have been allocated. Its nuts!!

Oh, and if you dont want to runs a super low middlefork stop applying for tags after mid july!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-29-2016   #22

Up North, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1985
Quote:
Originally Posted by zbaird View Post

Oh, and if you dont want to runs a super low middlefork stop applying for tags after mid july!
Amen, this is something we really can do something about, public shame as many folks as possible that cancel permits between Aug 15 to Sept 15 that don't have an excuse other than low water.
shappattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016   #23

cedar city, Utah
If a lawsuit is actually of interest than I would strongly suggest when not incite infighting within our community. We are too small and the suggested solution is gargantuan. I can look past a few offhand remarks but publicly shaming people who are abiding by the system will push a lot of moderate people away (all for a change in cancellation policy and penalty).

Finding thousands of boaters to contribute requires unity. Just a thought.

Phillip
restrac2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016   #24

Post Falls, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2000
Too bad the permit system couldn't pop up some historical flow data when someone is applying for a late summer date. I'd bet a lot of folks just don't really know what flows are to be expected.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Mountain Buzz mobile app
Paul7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016   #25

at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
Perhaps a baby step is to get them to release permits that are not claimed by March 15th. That has always chapped me too, right out of the gate there are always dates with x's.
Old 07-29-2016   #26

Up North, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1985
Unfortunately, I don't believe here is no way in hell the private boating community is going to organize or back a lawsuit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by restrac2000 View Post
If a lawsuit is actually of interest than I would strongly suggest when not incite infighting within our community. We are too small and the suggested solution is gargantuan. I can look past a few offhand remarks but publicly shaming people who are abiding by the system will push a lot of moderate people away (all for a change in cancellation policy and penalty).

Finding thousands of boaters to contribute requires unity. Just a thought.

Phillip
shappattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016   #27

Boulder, Colorado
Probably so- But I will throw in a few hundred dollars to get this thing started.
Genghis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016   #28
Misspellingintothefuture!

Fraser, Colorado
Thanks for the mountain of information Shap! Kinda impressed man!

Possibly the worst part of the issue is that it seems to be normal Forest Service behavior,
they have been miss managing in this fashion for years, all over the country. It's kinda like watching a family guy episode, where the next seen is completely random and doesn't make any sense.

I'd be down with donating a $30 to help try and knock some amount of sense into a major agency that keeps ignoring reason in it's decisions. Just kinda sick of there bull.

Perhaps we shouldn't alienate boaters that cancel late season mfs permits, but we at least need to keep trying to educate. Although if you pay some amount of attention when you apply, it's kinda right there on the web site.....
mattman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016   #29

cedar city, Utah
Any idea why this not already a cause for AW?

Sent from my MotoG3 using Mountain Buzz mobile app
restrac2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016   #30

at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by restrac2000 View Post
Any idea why this not already a cause for AW?

Sent from my MotoG3 using Mountain Buzz mobile app
Maybe the membership hasn't made it an issue. IRU might be a better group to take it on.