Old 06-08-2011   #41
Cpt. No Scout

In a Van, Down By the River
Paddling Since: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmaciag View Post
This was just sent out to the YahooGroup "idahowhitewater." Not my post, just thought I'd share.
__________________________________________________ ______________

It cost one outfitter $2600 to fly into Indian Creek last week (good for http://sawtoothflying.com) - that same outfitter contributes about $18,000/ year to the FS in user access fees! ($4/person/day + 3% of gross)
WTF. Not a penny comes out of the "Outfitters" pockets.. The cost is transfered to the customer. The outfitter is just pissed that they didn't plan for this and it will cut into their profits. CUSTOMERS contribute about $18,000/ year to the FS in user access fees! ($4/person/day) not outfitters..

idahofloater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011   #42

Denver, Colorado
Perhaps the evil USFS ordered up the heavy snowpack, so as to deliberately block the road longer, just so they could further their REAL purpose and hidden agenda... cleaning the latrines less.

ridecats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011   #43

stanley, Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by idahofloater

WTF. Not a penny comes out of the "Outfitters" pockets.. The cost is transfered to the customer. The outfitter is just pissed that they didn't plan for this and it will cut into their profits. CUSTOMERS contribute about $18,000/ year to the FS in user access fees! ($4/person/day) not outfitters..
Wow, its your road too you know. Why is it the outfitter's job to open it? The fs is keeping you out of YOUR road. They have been and continue to passively keep people out of the middle fork. Don't believe me? Then you're not paying attention.
idahoriverguide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011   #44

Bend, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1993
Quote:
Originally Posted by idahoriverguide View Post
Wow, its your road too you know. Why is it the outfitter's job to open it? The fs is keeping you out of YOUR road. They have been and continue to passively keep people out of the middle fork. Don't believe me? Then you're not paying attention.
As far as I can tell, this is the Forest Service, not the municipal department of snow removal. I like the fact that its not Disneyland and variable conditions require problem-solving. Commercial outfitters as well as private boaters all have choices to make when nature deals up variable (but not unexpected) conditions. There's always Marsh Creek. Perhaps the outfitter should have said 'I sure am thankful that the FS maintains the airstrip at Indian Creek so I have options for my customers.'

That being said, I sure hope the road opens before 6/18!

MikeG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeG View Post
As far as I can tell, this is the Forest Service, not the municipal department of snow removal. I like the fact that its not Disneyland and variable conditions require problem-solving. Commercial outfitters as well as private boaters all have choices to make when nature deals up variable (but not unexpected) conditions. There's always Marsh Creek. Perhaps the outfitter should have said 'I sure am thankful that the FS maintains the airstrip at Indian Creek so I have options for my customers.'

That being said, I sure hope the road opens before 6/18!
Yup, I never thought of it as being th Forest Service's job to plow backcountry roads. Plowing and opening dirt roads during runoff has all kinds of potintial downsides. No doubt it sucks for the commercial interests and general public who want to use the road but nature doesn't give a shit about the agenda of human beings.
cmike1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011   #46
Dipshit with the most.

Bellevue, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1991
I am doing some recon in the area and have heard several people mention a slide. Possibly on the downhill side of Cape Horn Summit. I would love to have the exact details on the location of this slide if anyone has such a thing.
carvedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011   #47
Obey River Rat

Little Rock, Arkansas
Paddling Since: 1971
Just Melt

We are coming all the way from Arkansas for a June 26 launch date at Boundary Creek. Just keep the sun out to melt snow on the road. And maybe bring the river level down a foot or so.
obeyriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011   #48
Cpt. No Scout

In a Van, Down By the River
Paddling Since: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by idahoriverguide View Post
I do realize it is a shared road. The outfitter wants money nothing more nothing less. Nature says NO! If outfitter wants it differently, then too bad. Its Idaho wilderness up there. I have zero loveloss for outfitters. If it was up to me I'd rip that road right out of the mountain. Just saying.
idahofloater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011   #49

Missoula, Montana
Paddling Since: 1990
Quote:
Originally Posted by idahofloater View Post
I do realize it is a shared road. The outfitter wants money nothing more nothing less. Nature says NO! If outfitter wants it differently, then too bad. Its Idaho wilderness up there. I have zero loveloss for outfitters. If it was up to me I'd rip that road right out of the mountain. Just saying.
Glad it's not up to you
Ranco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011   #50
Everyone needs a vacation

Fairfield, California
Paddling Since: 1998
I called a ranger today about my June 21st permit and was informed there is a log at the top of Dagger (ranger hadn't seen it in person, could be gone).

The ranger also said several have tried to drive in Boundary, but they have only made it about 2.5 - 3 miles in. Then they had to pull each other out of the snow on the way back out.

Has anyone else run Marsh since lhowemt ran it about a week ago? Did you have any major wood? Were you able to pass the fish trap without problems? Any visual flow reports for Marsh Creek?

Thanks!

BDPADDLE is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lyons creek clinic