Old 06-01-2011   #21
Dipshit with the most.

Bellevue, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1991
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroberts View Post
so I'm not very optimistic at this point.
you gonna have to work on that. I melted the road one year with sheer optimism. Truly. But I have also been down Marsh Crick several times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroberts View Post
With all the cash the state of Idaho, outfitters, shuttlers, etc are missing out on you would think there would be a solution other than sit and wait.
There is another solution, two of them. One is called Marsh Creek and the other is called Indian Creek. The commercial back country pilots would love to fly you in to Indian if Marsh Creek is a deal breaker.

carvedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011   #22

Boise, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by carvedog View Post
you gonna have to work on that. I melted the road one year with sheer optimism. Truly. But I have also been down Marsh Crick several times.

There is another solution, two of them. One is called Marsh Creek and the other is called Indian Creek. The commercial back country pilots would love to fly you in to Indian if Marsh Creek is a deal breaker.
I'll work on the optimism

I've been down Marsh but it's a deal breaker for some in my group. Flying into Indian Creek isn't very appealing as well. I was just curious if its legal for private parties to plow/dig thier way in and if that ever happens.

Aroberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011   #23

Garrettsville, Ohio
Paddling Since: 1993
This is only the notion of an Appalachian boater, but has anyone ever given any thought to dragging gear up there with cats? Seems lucrative to me. A cat train can move a ton of stuff, and riders could kick it and sip beer on the way like the old beloved Glen Miller shuttle.
Old 06-01-2011   #24

Hoback Nation, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 1987
Anybody know a person who has a truck/van with snotracks still mounted on it. Not sure how well a cat train would work on a down hill section though.
Old 06-01-2011   #25

at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
I once heard of people rigging their catboat frames onto skis, and then having them towed in with snowmobiles. A raft frame would be a bit harder, but probably doable.

From what I recall last year, the road stays closed to all vehicles because the FS wants the road to dry out and not get damaged/rutted. Something about protecting the resource. Privates were threatened with legal action if they disregarded the closure. A snowcat (or tracks) would probably tear the crap out of the road, while a snowmobile might be less of a footprint (and with more options).
Old 06-01-2011   #26

stanley, Idaho
The deal with outfitters is the fs makes them jump through so many hoops its crazy. All the 7 outfitters launching in the next week are flying in.

You can go in and open the road. All I can tell you is there is more snow then you know, more this late then I've ever seen.16-24 inches 50 yards from the road. Plus the avalanche a mile away is huge, I've dug through it when it was 9' deep, its deeper now.

There are no options with people in town to take you by cat. Plus boundary ramp is dry as a bone.

As well I can report that the log after dagger is gone! That's from the fs just the other day.

If you don't want to fly then go through marsh. It's not high right now and on the safer side. I will tell you that if it gets big stay away, I've gone in there on a recovery before and its crazy. Right now I don't think it will get big and I don't think the middle will get over 7 either. It should hold at 6 for a while when it starts to melt.

Don't like the fact that the fs won't plow the road? Don't bitch on here call them and tell them its crazy the won't allow you access to YOUR river. They make outfitters get a bond, and get all sorts of stuff approved by the higher ups in the fs. It's a timely and costly process. If you know anything about outfitters they don't like to spend money, so by them flying in that means its too much of a hassle to get the fs to help.

I know what the weather says and I'm here in the snow, its cold and night and its not melting at night so it might be a few more days before it opens.
idahoriverguide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011   #27

Boise, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by idahoriverguide View Post
The deal with outfitters is the fs makes them jump through so many hoops its crazy. All the 7 outfitters launching in the next week are flying in.

You can go in and open the road. All I can tell you is there is more snow then you know, more this late then I've ever seen.16-24 inches 50 yards from the road. Plus the avalanche a mile away is huge, I've dug through it when it was 9' deep, its deeper now.

There are no options with people in town to take you by cat. Plus boundary ramp is dry as a bone.

As well I can report that the log after dagger is gone! That's from the fs just the other day.

If you don't want to fly then go through marsh. It's not high right now and on the safer side. I will tell you that if it gets big stay away, I've gone in there on a recovery before and its crazy. Right now I don't think it will get big and I don't think the middle will get over 7 either. It should hold at 6 for a while when it starts to melt.

Don't like the fact that the fs won't plow the road? Don't bitch on here call them and tell them its crazy the won't allow you access to YOUR river. They make outfitters get a bond, and get all sorts of stuff approved by the higher ups in the fs. It's a timely and costly process. If you know anything about outfitters they don't like to spend money, so by them flying in that means its too much of a hassle to get the fs to help.

I know what the weather says and I'm here in the snow, its cold and night and its not melting at night so it might be a few more days before it opens.
That was exactly what I was looking for
Thanks
Aroberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011   #28

Denver, Colorado
I've been tracking this, as I too have a horse in the race. Some of the recent weather forecasts for Stanley have been: High, 40, Low, 19, rain. IMHO, not so special to play in all day long and then camp in, even if you could use the road. Wondering where the river level will get to if it gets even moderately warm?
ridecats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011   #29

at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
MobileMe Gallery

Photos from a recent overflight. The road looks pretty darn snowed it, but I think the tree is Dagger looks gone.
Old 06-04-2011   #30

Hoback Nation, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 1987
Saw these on the IWG Yahoo. Been fretting all day.

Tags
lyons creek clinic