Old 06-01-2011   #11

Jackson, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 1492
Quote:
Originally Posted by idahoriverguide View Post
Just drove by the road yesterday, not much has changed, it's still freezing at night. Still looks the same as the pic I posted a couple days ago. 4ft on Banner-
Thanks. Nice to have eyes/ears over there in a year like this. Am guessing we might be screwed unless we step up for Marsh Creek, which is unlikely. Even if the road opens, river will probably be rising/peaking right about launch day.......

Old 06-01-2011   #12

stanley, Idaho
The issue is marsh is low and rocky with a portage.

idahoriverguide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011   #13

Garrettsville, Ohio
Paddling Since: 1993
Thanks for the info and pics.
I've lost hope they'll get it open before the 8th.
Old 06-01-2011   #14

Jackson, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 1492
Quote:
Originally Posted by idahoriverguide View Post
The issue is marsh is low and rocky with a portage.
Yeah, that's what we keep hearing. The portage at Dagger is the real deal-killer. That, and having to go super-light and pay to have stuff flown in to Indian Creek. Trip was already on a super-tight budget to begin with.
Old 06-01-2011   #15
Dipshit with the most.

Bellevue, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1991
No freeze last night on Banner and 50 degrees at 8 am. Lets get some melting done.

I went outside at 10pm last night in Bellevue ( about 60 miles south of Stanely) and told her it was still 60. Truth is it was 58 but still very warm for that time of evening. She thought I was lying.
Not quite up in the hills but still 5200 feet elevation.

That's all I have.

I lied. Historically the most melt I have seen on the Banner gauge is about 1.5 inches per day on the SWE. We still have 21 something at the snotel site for SWE. So it would seem unlikely but who knows. I have driven to the put in with about 5 inches left on the SWE. Yes I got stuck once but not too bad.

Hearing lots of rumors, that I won't repeat, but I will add there are some who are trying to get the road open. there are limitations to what the commercial folks can do relative to 'permitted' activities on the forest.

What I am hearing is that those same restrictions may not apply to private boaters, but anythingn further would just be speculation right now.
carvedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011   #16

NOCO, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1990
Will there be enough warm weather to keep things melting? 10 day forecast for Stanley shows low temps and rain/snow for this week, mid to high 60's Sat-Mon, then dropping back down to mid 50's with high chance of rain through the following Friday.
FatmanZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011   #17
Dipshit with the most.

Bellevue, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1991
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatmanZ View Post
Will there be enough warm weather to keep things melting? 10 day forecast for Stanley shows low temps and rain/snow for this week, mid to high 60's Sat-Mon, then dropping back down to mid 50's with high chance of rain through the following Friday.

This is the one I use. 70s over the weekend?? i sure hope so.

Stanley, ID 83278 Month Weather Report - AccuWeather.com

Lows in the high 30s in Stanley is a good thing too. Just enough clouds to keep the heat from the day in and keep the melt going.

I sent an email, I thought. I will check it later.
carvedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011   #18

at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
Someone just sent me this amazing weather link:

10-Day Meteorological Forecasts Used In NWRFC Hydrologic Models
Old 06-01-2011   #19

at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
Marsh isn't too low or rocky, but it is technical and there's the fish trap and one lowish bridge. This year at 5.3' it was a dream, last year at about 3.8' it was a pain in the ass. We had to put in on Cape Horn Cr which included about a 300 yd drag of boats across snow and then launch on a creek about 2 boats wide and not much more than 12 inches of water. Then under a low bridge. I'd hate to think of the portage you'd be doing at high water to avoid the low bridge. I wouldn't say it's a good year to do Marsh where no one in the group has previously done it. It's nice to know where Sluicebox is.

The portage at Dagger was definitely a lot of work. But. We had 10 cats and 9 people to do it. We portaged for about 2.5-3 hours the first night, and got all the gear and half the boats over (gear to the campsites of course). The next morning we finished the boats and gear and rigged and were gone by maybe noon at the latest. If you have passengers without boats that can help it might be easier. However our cats are pretty light and 4 could do it with lots of stops, 6 people was much much easier. Some of the path was skinny and we had to carry from within our frames, carrying a raft would be tough (branches, trees, rocks, etc blocking an outside carry). Putting them in would also be tough with rafts, we carried a bit on the path (within frames) and then lined them down to the eddy where we could rig. I heard others rigged their rafts upstream and lined them completely down.
Old 06-01-2011   #20

Boise, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2007
I have a early/mid June trip so I'm not very optimistic at this point. Can a private group legally plow/dig thier way in?

With all the cash the state of Idaho, outfitters, shuttlers, etc are missing out on you would think there would be a solution other than sit and wait.

Aroberts is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lyons creek clinic