Old 06-29-2004   #1

metal beam exposed on Alto-Alto SBC

If you decide to continue the run all the way into Pinecliff beware of the second railroad bridge of the entire run. The first bridge, before the takeout, is new and there is no problem. The second bridge, after the take out, is much older and the support beams are close together. It is easily ran; however, immieditly after the bridge is a three foot drop on the left and an exposed beam on the right. I suggest scouting this so you know what slot of the bridge you want to go through to avoid the beam. I didn't and almost died.

mtnman455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2004   #2

in a van down by the river, California
Paddling Since: 1974
multiple railroad hazards on Alto Alto SBC

-flows are fluctuating and moving wood too-
I'm pleased to learn that you did not get injured or killed.
The rule of thumb that I use with road/railroad blasted creek zones is to always scout the rapids of consequence and DO NOT trust anything man-made in the river.
The NASTY-ass bridge you are referring to, is just downstream from High Country Fire Station #1. This is a low clearance RR bridge crossing the river, it usually fills up with wood.
Advise PORTAGE of this xtremely lame hazard. Why mess with it?
Note:
-there is rebar in the canyon section <2miles downstream from Rollinsville, in the cascading drop known as Spanky.
-Rebar and steel across the river at the RR bridge downstream from the icehouse at the river-wide ledge drop.
And if you enter SBC from Pinecliffe down, you will find a steel I-Beam in the center of the river , mid drop in Trainspotting.
http://www.americanwhitewater.org/rivers/id/4238/

kayaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2004   #3

death used lightly

I used "almost died" as a figure of speech more than anything else. I was fine, but it could have been much worse.
mtnman455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2004   #4

Jackson, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 94
Send a message via Yahoo to Gary E
Gary E

The beam is gone in trainspotting...We got the railroad to pull it out..So USB is semi clean of rr debris....Be safe
Gary
Gary E is offline   Reply With Quote