Old 05-24-2008   #31

the river has come down a bunch so i'm not surpised. I hope i dont get wrapped like that ever. This is the year for river yardsales though.

thogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008   #32

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
Bout' lost my Boat this week! -oh wait, I kinda did!

Yes, I hope no one wraps like that. When I fuck up, I fuck up right!

It's not in good shape, well really one tube is thrashed, the other three would be repairable, and the floor is mostly fine, one foot cone torn (more humorous than anything) and the seal around the release valve popped. The frame is pretty beat up, the shit pole even wore through the steel pipe in one spot. The bonus is the river took care of polishing the steel, so now it's nice and shiny! Oh, just so you all know, the dry (wet) bag with our lunch garbage was still there and is now in the proper reciprocal - a dumpster, so I didn't litter! Just donations to the river gods and rats! lol surprisingly I only lost two things due to rigging issues, everything else got torn off and shredded by the river gods.

So maybe the trick to getting rescued is to NOT blow your whistle or scream. I didn't scream or whistle when we wrapped around a shit pole and a ton of people showed up to help, but then again I wasn't with Griff...

Ok Buzzards, bring it on (don't make me regret this! lol), let the shit talk begin. Fling Poo like Monkeys! (I could use a laugh)

Or else I might just go see if I can get you all arrested for not entertaining me! Or is that only Griff's job?

Dahlia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008   #33

e-town, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1998
so. do you think it was pinned the way you had described with the tube of your frame aroung the pipe? or was it just the rubber wrapped tight. I am thinking that once we dropped the tubes it allowed it to slide around the side releasing it, but who really knows? if you are going to tryt ofix it send it down to inflatable technologies in denver, if they cant fix it, it cant be fixed. or just pick up another used boat somewhere. Best of luck and I am not going to start the sh%t talking because I have been there, and I am sure I will do it again! might want to drink out a bootie for karma
liquidchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008   #34

Boulder, Colorado
Yes, I am certain that is was wrapped pretty close to what I thought. Just because of the wear pattern on the frame. The only thing is I think it was a bit diagonally instead of straight on like I had guessed. The damage to the d-rings on the cargo wrack and the pole literally rubbed through the steel pipe. I think a welder I know can fix the frame and straighten it. I think you are right about letting the air out, makes me wish we did that on Sunday night, but that did seem too drastic that night. 6 days on a shit pole.

Yes, actually I do know John. Thanks. He's who I got that boat from and was already planing to visit him. He pronounced my other 2 old Campways boats (Frederick of Hollywood, and Little Camper) dead as he put it they had cancer stage 4 (they had rubber rot when I inherited them- just to be clear their death was not my doing!). Hi John, know guess who? lol So, I'm not going to give up on her until John says so. So John, if you are reading this thread, you are going to see me on Tuesday... Beer or Red Bull and burgers? Don't laugh too hard, you know my luck. So if the Hy-side (I named her The Dahlia) is dead, is Red Fred still hanging out in your shop? My back porch is becoming a dead boat refuge! Ack!

LiquidChaos, you of all people have EARNED the right to give me shit, but I feel ya about the karma. Also I have quite a few pretty good pix of you out there, so if you would like them let me PM your email and I'll get them to ya. Hope you had a great day boating today, you also earned that -even though I was jealous! Well I hope you got to enjoy some of that beer.
Old 05-24-2008   #35

e-town, Colorado
Beer; check PM; sent done and done...
liquidchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008   #36

Boulder, Colorado
Pix of the whole rescue

I posted most of the series (too many) I took of the rescue operation for those who are interested.

http://www.mountainbuzz.com/gallery/...mageuser=12264

Or go to Photos - Member's Photo albums - Dalha's images.

I can't seem to get then to display in the correct order, they are starting from the end. If they are coming out backwards (you'll see a blur pic of 2 people walking), switch view to "ascending" or start at the end and view backwards.

Does anyone know how to fix this? Every time I try to switch it, it just goes back to the reverse order.
Old 06-03-2008   #37

Boulder, Colorado
Follow Up

Just to let you all know, the damage to the boat will cost WAY too much to repair. Of course the guys at Inflatable Tech COULD repair it! But if I had the $ to repair it, I might as well buy a new-used boat that hasn't had a 6 day love affair with a shit pole!

This is the damage a shit pole can cause to an old Hyside. Not a single tear or slice smaller than a PBR! only thing smaller is where part of the frame wore through near the valve. I'm guessing that this kind of wrap is also why the style of my frame is no longer used.

Still don't know if the frame is repairable.

On the bright side, at least I still have 2 thwart tubes in perfect condition! lol
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DahliaCarnage - 3.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	199.9 KB
ID:	519   Click image for larger version

Name:	DahliaCarnage - 5.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	215.6 KB
ID:	520  

Name:	DahliaCarnage - 6.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	201.4 KB
ID:	521   Click image for larger version

Name:	DahliaCarnage - 7.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	211.9 KB
ID:	522  

Name:	DahliaCarnage - 12.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	205.0 KB
ID:	523   Click image for larger version

Name:	DahliaCarnage - 9.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	213.0 KB
ID:	524  

Name:	DahliaCarnage - 11.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	166.5 KB
ID:	525  
Old 06-03-2008   #38

Those pictures are hard to look at. Sorry about the loss.

At least your boat is in raft heaven.
farp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008   #39

Unincorporated Douglas County, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
There is a shot in the D Post this morning that looks a lot like the shots of Dalhia's raft. Is that a new wrapped boat, or just old photos?
rwhyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008   #40

Littleton, Colorado
saw the pic of the wrap on the 10:00 news last nite!

Jay H is offline   Reply With Quote