Old 05-22-2008   #21
Beginner

Eastern Slope, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
So a boat full of water is tied to the pylon supporting a pipe full of sewage at high water? I would cut that rope before the boat pops free. A static line with the right tug can exert thousands of pounds of force. If the boat is tied just right it will form a big, heavy water parachute and the Eagle could get dirty...

Randaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008   #22

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
I just got a report that they did take the line off last night. So it's not tied anymore. The stern line is still loose, but only attached to the boat. I'm told the floor is partially out. If what I think is happening with the frame is correct, that boat is not going anywhere unless the frame gets rotated down stream. Well, at least the frame isn't going anywhere, the boat will be in shreds if it get loose.

Liquidchaos, Thanks for getting out there that night. I thought you did cut the floor, but I was pretty overwhelmed (obviously), and couldn't remember. Could you tell if the frame had hooked the pylon? It's an unusual frame.

Am I the only one who is glad it's snowing (at least it is in Summit Co.)? Hopefully that'll be enough to slow the thaw for a bit so the water will drop and I can get my frame and what's left of my boat out of there!

Let it snow! Let it snow! Let it snow! (I've been praying for snow all week, so maybe my luck will change?)

Dahlia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008   #23

Vail, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1978
boated by and scouted an UGLY wrap

Years ago we wrapped a boat on the same pipe in exactly the same manner on a training run. Using a static line and exerting thousands of pounds of force is not a great idea--people die from loaded rope systems. We cut the floor out and deflated the upstream chambers it it peeled right off. I'm sure Eagle County Search and Rescue are all over it--they are the true experts in the valley. More than anything the water needs to come down to a safe level (July?).
tboe101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008   #24

Boulder, Colorado
It Might be Removed! Whoo hoo!!

I've been told that the frame has now come off and is hanging out below the boat. The word is that they are going to attempt to retrieve the boat beginning around 1pm since the water level has dropped. Also the fact that it's on a shit pole has upped the priority, for concern about the pressure compromising the structure. So it can't wait until July (thankfully). I can only hope that it's still repairable, if so that's what I'll be doing for my Memorial day weekend. fun fun.

So I don't know if they need extra help or not, but if you are in the area and have time, it can't hurt to ask if they need help.

Thanks.
Old 05-24-2008   #25

Boulder, Colorado
RIP the Dahlia 1991-2008

The Dahlia (my boats name) is dead. R.I.P Named after one of my favorite memories with my Uncle. He's the person who introduced me to rafting.

It's still wrapped, but now all tubes have been popped. Be aware that the frame is still attached.

I'd greatly appreciate it, if the frame does come loose and someone finds it, that it's returned (I'll post it in lost and found, too). There is great sentimental value attached to it, I inherited it from my uncle who passed away. There is also an olive green and black mesh bag of straps, rope, webbing, etc. that was still in the boat on Tuesday, but couldn't get it out. It would be cool if to get that back too. Thanks.

Thanks to everyone who worked so hard to try to get my boat off the shit pole. I know it was a long cold day without a happy ending. I hope that you have a great raft season (hopefully less eventful than this week).

I've attached a series of pix of today and the carnage that is my boat. I have more of the rescue crew, if any of you want a higher res pic, let me know.

Maybe I'll see ya next year on the river. Hopefully floating and no where near a shit pole! lol

Please don't give me shit today, give me a few days to except not having a boat. I've had enough shit this week just dealing with my boat wrapping around a shit pole. Thanks.

I think it would be helpful to to discuss the shoulda's, coulda's, and woulda's. I figure that if I'm gonna lose my boat, I might as well learn from it. I'd hope others would find this discussion helpful. Since it's gonna be a BIG water year, it might be good to talk about mistakes. I know a few that I did that contributed to the BIG mistake, if talking about them helps someone else It'd be worth it. Enough for now.
Old 05-24-2008   #26

Boulder, Colorado
Pix

It seems that the pix did not attach, I'll try again.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DalhiaRIP - 1.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	213.8 KB
ID:	502   Click image for larger version

Name:	DalhiaRIP - 7.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	192.4 KB
ID:	503  

Name:	DalhiaRIP - 34.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	226.9 KB
ID:	504   Click image for larger version

Name:	DalhiaRIP - 39.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	200.5 KB
ID:	505  

Name:	DalhiaRIP - 46.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	245.6 KB
ID:	506   Click image for larger version

Name:	DalhiaRIP - 57.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	268.8 KB
ID:	507  

Name:	DalhiaRIP - 60.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	190.5 KB
ID:	508   Click image for larger version

Name:	DalhiaRIP - 74.jpg
Size:	230.5 KB
ID:	509  

Name:	DalhiaRIP - 81.jpg
Size:	159.9 KB
ID:	510   Click image for larger version

Name:	DalhiaRIP - 82.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	183.1 KB
ID:	511  

Old 05-24-2008   #27

e-town, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1998
RIP dahlia...
FYI- the frame is still attached to the boat that is now mostly underwater, if it starts to collect debris it may become a hazard, but not for now. The ropes that were hangin off the boat have been removed. There was a rescue rope that was lost believed to be downstream, but could possibly still be around the shit pipe. If this rope surfaces it will be removed immediatly. Eagle pd put signs up warning about it, but as long as you dont wrap your boat over the top of this one, it should not be a hazard. now I am goin' boatin'!
liquidchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008   #28

Avon, Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalhia View Post
The Dahlia (my boats name) is dead. R.I.P Named after one of my favorite memories with my Uncle. He's the person who introduced me to rafting.

It's still wrapped, but now all tubes have been popped. Be aware that the frame is still attached.
Are you sure the boat is dead? Those Hysides are tough, I wouldn't write it off until you get it back onshore. Could be the tubes deflated from water pressing on the Leafield valve pin with a loose valve cap, or got punctured from the frame. Or did the guys trying to unwrap the boat intentionally puncture it? In any event, it may be repairable. It looked like from the photo of the semi-inflated boat around the pole that the baffles were still good. Keep your spirits up! It may all work out in the end.
avonraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008   #29

Eagle, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
Overnight, the boat released from the pole and hung up downstream on river right. Eagle Fire removed the boat and all associated gear this morning. The Eagle County Sherrifs Office has the boat and all gear. Thanks for all the help. Have a great Memorial Day weekend and summer.
firecrazy73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008   #30

Boulder, Colorado
Sweet! Off to see the carnage. Does not sound so good, but thankfully it's no longer on a SHIT POLE!