Old 05-21-2008   #11

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
Update and Please Stop wanting to STEAL my boat and Thanks

My boat is now almost completely underwater, there may be an oar underwater stuck out in the river left channel under the bridge, or it got dis-lodged. We could see it for a while waving around, but disappeared as the water got higher. The water level has increase over 1500cfs since it wrapped, that's about a 300% increase! Be careful, please.

No DIBs, please! Unless you are a thief, then I wish you the wrath of the river gods for stealing my boat! It doesn't matter if anyone here on MountainBuzz knows who's boat it is. The people who need to know, already do. Just because YOU don't know who's boat it is, does not mean it's up for grabs. Hey, I know it's fun to look at MY boat on the pylon and want to steal it. It's only been two days, it's NOT abandoned. Could you at least have a little class! It would be MUCH cooler if people were offering to HELP me get my boat off, instead of discussing how you can steal it. It's SO lovely to see the empathy and compassion people have here. It's easy to be the peanut gallery, sit back and pretend you are in Mystery Science Theater 3000. Updating people here as to who's boat is on the pylon was not exactly my highest priority in the last few days.

Look, the whole situation is incredibly stressful, I've lost A LOT. It's taken two days just to get back into my car, since my keys were in the rocket box that floated down river (please don't tell me I should have a key at the car, I know, I usually do. The one time I don't, this happens!). When I did get keys made, got to the put in I had a flat tire - so I'm a very very lucky person with inflatables lately! lol I really don't need the added stress of worrying that people are wanting to steal my boat.

So these little comments, maybe entertaining to you, but it's a serious situation that I'd rather not be in. I am an experienced boater, obviously I made a mistake. In 15 plus years of boating this is the first boat I have wrapped. BUT the reality is NO ONE was HURT or DIED. Am I proud to be the first wrapped boat of the 2008 season? NO! But I get that honor. So not only the first boat to wrap this season, it's my first WRAP ever! Yeah, my proudest moment!

Think about if you were looking forward to an amazing season, then having a boat one minute, in a second things changed, and now I may have to miss this incredible season (and that's the pettiest of the consequences.)

The river increased almost 300 cfs from the time I put in until I wrapped about 50 yards from the take out. I misjudged the force of the water, it's VERY pushy and strong, and was much stronger than it was in any rapid we went through earlier. So please be careful with the rapid increase of water. Remember how fast things can go from fun and fine to life threatening.

In response to the comment about the State Parks guys, yes they were trying to get my boat out. We DID have someone up stream warning people to keep to river left. So please get your facts straight before you slam someone for going out of their way to help. They were VERY COOL guys- THANK-YOU SO MUCH! We spend about 4 hours trying to get it off with no luck. We need more people like Todd and Rocky who VOLUNTEERED to help someone out in distress. They were VERY competent and took the initiative to do the right thing - try to get it off for YOUR SAFETY! not to get me my boat back. Guys like that deserve your gratitude for the job they do, not your snide ignorant criticism. If something was so "UN-COOL", it was only because they needed a few more bodies (which they got). What is UN-COOL is to criticize them for what they were doing, any one of you could have asked them if they needed help if you were SO concerned they were negligent (which they were far from being negligent.) They were very safety oriented, used harnesses when on the pipe, all safety precautions were used and discussed as the situation progressed.

Hey sorry my boat is in your way, trust me I wish it wasn't. I was lucky that it happened in a place that was easily accessible for emergency services, people on the shore called 911 before I got out of the water. All the emergency service people were amazing. The were there so fast and helpful. THANK YOU TO EVERYONE who helped that evening and continue to do so.

Any of you out there thinks they are immune to making this kind of mistake is an idiot and has NO business on the river, period. This situation reminded me how powerful water is and it needs to always be respected. Not one person on the river has NEVER made a mistake, some aren't as serious but they still happen.

Dahlia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008   #12

Cisco, Utah
Paddling Since: Dawn
Hey, I actually helped unwrap a raft on that same post years ago... The trick was to cut the floor out, cut the webbing and free the floor from the raft. If you can access it, that should do it.. Best of luck..

UserName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008   #13
Beginner

Eastern Slope, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
"Please Stop wanting to STEAL my boat "

You can't make us stop wanting to steal it. I want it bad. Real bad.

That said, I don't think anyone is likely to go try to steal your boat. I'm curious as to what happened once it wrapped. Were you still on it for a bit? What is the frame doing? Did you try to deflate any tubes while it was still high on the pylon? Sometimes letting the air out of one side will turn her loose.
Randaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008   #14

Eagle County, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
Easy, easy now. If you knew us, you know we don't endorse stealing boats, but we do like to give each other a hard time around here. If we get your boat, we will give it back provided there is some cold beer for the taking...

Dougie S., if you see an opportunity and need a hand, I'm around Eagle until sometime tomorrow.

-Jack Handy
WhiteLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008   #15

Boulder, Colorado
Ok, you are correct that I can't stop anyone from lusting after my boat (hey I'm lusting for my boat and want it bad! lol). The point is I don't know you, nor you me, so the joking (I did get that it was giving sh-t) wasn't and isn't funny. It's more like rubbing salt in the wound. It will be funny once things have gotten worked out, or if I did know you and we had a give each other sh-t rapport. To have marine salvage be the only thing people found worthy of commenting about (aside from the informational postings) is pretty rude and disheartening. I'd understand those comments if the boat had been there for weeks or months, not less than a day. Maybe take this as a reminder to consider who (like do you know the person) or your comments may not be so amusing. Ok I'm over that.

Well at least now that I have wrapped, I did it well. To add to the humor of it, the bridge isn't a water pipe, I've been told it's the raw sewage pipe. So not only did I wrap it, I wrapped it around a pylon of a shitty bridge! So it's officially a shit wrap, and literally a shitty situation! lol

When we hit the pylon we were high-sided so fast I couldn't even say high s..... before we were fully on the pylon, out of the boat, and wrapped. The valves were not reachable to deflate the tubes that evening, but the water has taken care of that. From what I can tell both bow tubes have popped. I think they did start to cut the floor out (not sure if that happened or was just discussed) just before it started to get too dark to continue. There is no air in the floor now, but is still attached . The stern tubes have some air still, but are soft and underwater. (well at least that's how it was last night)

It's no longer safe to get on the boat. So they were unable to remove one of the lines attached to the stern (down river side) last night, but it is now tied off to the pole. So if it does for some reason release, and the ropes don't break it'll be attached to the bridge.

It's an OLD OLD steel slant board frame with a gear rack that dips into the boat along the floor and back up to the frame. Now that I've seen the pix and the attempt I've realized that the rack is what's hooked on the pylon. The pylon is perfectly placed between the 2 steel tubes and the top of the frame. So if anyone does try to get it off, it'll need to be pulled from river left. We had up to 6:1 Z line (maybe 7 at one point) from several angles on river right and we only managed to pop a d-ring or two and barely moved it.

And as someone reported, the beer bag is still hanging on the stern. See I did rig to flip lol! And anyone who gets my boat off is welcome to the beer (it's only PBR), and I'd be more than happy to get you a couple cases of good beer of your choice, you name it!
Old 05-21-2008   #16
Beginner

Eastern Slope, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
"It will be funny once things have gotten worked out, or if I did know you and we had a give each other sh-t rapport. To have marine salvage be the only thing people found worthy of commenting about (aside from the informational postings) is pretty rude and disheartening."

We do have a "give eachother sh-t rapport." It's called the internet. Deal with it. I'm sorry that you are so disheartened that everyone finds this so interesting, but it's a funny picture of a boat wrapped around a little pylon and nobody is hurt. Good luck getting people to stop joking about it.

I hoped to turn this thread into something productive and discuss removing wrapped boats, so thanks for the specifics. I hope everyone out there learns something and practices their Z-drags before their next trip.
Randaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008   #17

Boulder, Colorado
Fine give me sh-t. It is a funny pic - hey it's a boat around a shit pole! and I know it'll be funny (It already is). Just don't go shooting or stealing my boat! lol
Old 05-21-2008   #18

Eagle County, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
Glad you are able to find your sense of humor. I would be disapointed if people DIDN'T give me shit about stuff. So long as no one is seriously hurt or killed, it is fair game, right? Welcome to the Buzz, you are now suceptable to getting shit from everyone for just about anything. (Have a look around and you will understand) This can a good thing, we all f-up sometimes, and it is our duty to make sure everyone knows when we do. Just don't take it too seriously...

See The Colorado Season is Officially Underway

-Jack Handy
WhiteLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008   #19

e-town, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1998
Qoute:
In response to the comment about the State Parks guys, yes they were trying to get my boat out. We DID have someone up stream warning people to keep to river left. So please get your facts straight before you slam someone for going out of their way to help. They were VERY COOL guys- THANK-YOU SO MUCH! We spend about 4 hours trying to get it off with no luck. We need more people like Todd and Rocky who VOLUNTEERED to help someone out in distress. They were VERY competent and took the initiative to do the right thing - try to get it off for YOUR SAFETY! not to get me my boat back. Guys like that deserve your gratitude for the job they do, not your snide ignorant criticism. If something was so "UN-COOL", it was only because they needed a few more bodies (which they got). What is UN-COOL is to criticize them for what they were doing, any one of you could have asked them if they needed help if you were SO concerned they were negligent (which they were far from being negligent.) They were very safety oriented, used harnesses when on the pipe, all safety precautions were used and discussed as the situation progressed.

I was the one in the pics for the record dahlia. I know that those guys ment well and most of them are great guys, but from a second hand report there were boats floating into a pile of ropes, I wasnt there. We did cut two laces of your floor that night and it looks to have completely unlaced. Since you had a leafield valve on the upstream tubes the cap was not on and it may have filled with water making it even harder to get off. Bes tof luck and I wish that I could provide more help, but we have already had three calls this week and do not have enough people to go around, and I would never put ropes across the river during the day, not my style. Best of luck and lets let the sh#t talking continue, that is what the internet is for!
liquidchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008   #20

Cisco, Utah
Paddling Since: Dawn
Be aware, if a tube has filled with water, if and when that thing does come off it is going to be wicked heavy, which puts a whole new dynamic to the situation. Don't be too close to those ropes and watch out should they snap...

UserName is offline   Reply With Quote