Old 08-20-2011   #1

3, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008
Lower Blue "put in" stairs!

Was curious if anyone has heard of Lower Blue "Put In" getting some stairs? Heard rumor but don't know how reliable the integrity of this was.
Karen Lamb with Denver Water might know??
The put in is a class 5 on a class 3 river, and while I have safely navigated the "hill" many times, it sure would be nice to get some railroad ties and gravel stairs down to the water. They could be put in the main errosion area and prevent any future erosion from endless foot traffic sliding down that thing.
Hope the rumor is true!
Scotty

Scottsfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011   #2

Littleton, Colorado
Paddling Since: 98
Be careful what you wish for.

With ammeneties like the "stairs" you describe, usually come fees to pay for the construction and maintenance of those ammeneties.

Besides that, I kind of like it the way it is - seems to deter some of the amatuers.

slavetotheflyrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011   #3

Summit County, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
I agree with you Slave! If you survive the put in you have earned the right to run it. ha ha!

Scotty: when we boating together again? Last outting was crazy but fun....see ya out there.

Coon
SummitSurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011   #4

Loveland, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
There are stairs there already-have been for years. You can only use them with a kayak though. From the parking lot head towards the chain link fence. Follow the fence around to the stairs. Take the stairs to the river. Just so you know it is probably a class IV traverse on the outside of the fence.
Paul B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011   #5

Arvada (Denver), Colorado
20 Yards and a Cloud of Dust!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottsfire View Post
Was curious if anyone has heard of Lower Blue "Put In" getting some stairs? Heard rumor but don't know how reliable the integrity of this was.
Karen Lamb with Denver Water might know??
The put in is a class 5 on a class 3 river, and while I have safely navigated the "hill" many times, it sure would be nice to get some railroad ties and gravel stairs down to the water. They could be put in the main errosion area and prevent any future erosion from endless foot traffic sliding down that thing.
Hope the rumor is true!
Scotty
These 8/09 pics show the class level...

I've talked to Kara, USFS, etc about this concerning the overall Lower Blue Management Plan. Cost, permitting, construction standards, safety, land ownership, stakeholder decision representation, BLM Resource Management Plan completion, etc are all factors of what or what does not go where. It's a question as to who owns the land where the put in actually sits. The land boundary survey and maps would need to be looked at. The boundary between Bureau of Rec and USFS is either at the top of the ridge at the parking lot or down the ridge to where the old camp fireplace/cleared vegetation area line is located. I've looked at the Summit County Assessor maps and it's not clear where that line is. Go to their website to check it out yourselves.

As for cost, well, BLM Kremmling told me the Gore/Blue/Colorado put in stairs ramp cost $160k. Yes, they told me $160,000. They have standards, don't you know... That's BLM, tho. The cost would be to BoR or USFS and it seems that a ramp could easily be built for way less than that and still be within design standards. Whether either would want fees to get the money back is an issue that would be brought up in the LBMP discussions.

The LBMP, according to what I've talked to USFS, BLM, BVR, etc in past meetings and contact, comes after the BLM Resource Management Plan is completed and maybe the Wild and Scenic designation process. The BLM RMP has been delayed for a couple years now and God knows when it will be presented for public comment.

Permitting to recoup $$$ for the ramp, use, footbridges, modifications, etc would likely be discussed at the LBMP meetings, individual stakeholders and BoR, USFS, etc

Another way to resolve the issue is to contact Kara/BLM and/or USFS Dillon Ranger Station in Silverthorne yourselves before the LBMP meetings start back up, whenever that may be. The put in is only getting more eroded and dangerous. Sooner or later, someone's going to break an ankle or get their hand caught in the rope or winch set up or more.

While I'm writing... I'd like to see a cost effective footbridge, like there are in other parts of Colorado, US and New Zealand, for the wade anglers at the high side of the put in, out of the way of putting in, or in another strategically located place, to safely and evenly distribute people to the far shore to get all that "new" fishing water and link up with the lower canyon access if/when the BVR/BLM land exchange takes place, again, after the BLM RMP is completed, and another footbridge at the lower end of the canyon to just about complete a both sides loop to safely distribute waders.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0495.jpg
Views:	329
Size:	1,004.1 KB
ID:	3941   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0496.jpg
Views:	323
Size:	1.04 MB
ID:	3942  

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0497.jpg
Views:	304
Size:	1.05 MB
ID:	3943   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0498.jpg
Views:	303
Size:	1.01 MB
ID:	3944  

Ole Rivers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011   #6

dillon, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
I would love stairs and if this happens I will definitely volunteer to help!
chepora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011   #7

Aurora, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2009
This summer we lowered a 14' raft and 16' cat down there by belaying the boat and using the concrete culvert with re-bar as a strong safe anchor. The walk down kinda sucks but I would only recommend lowering a boat using that method. To us the put in was cake considering how shitty the take out was.
Swank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011   #8

Summit County, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
Ole Rivers:
Thansks for the great write up on this!
Coon
SummitSurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011   #9

Blue River, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
yes, the takeout is way worse. It's hard to get a full rig up that eroded hill with just two guys.
loosecannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011   #10

Right near the beach...BOYEEEEE, Brahbrobrahdo
There are WAY better takeouts just a little ways down river...

However, you could end up being "skeeter raped"...as Slave would say...