Old 08-23-2011   #11

Summit County, and Idaho
It is easier for kayakers than rafters. Stairs would be great of course... but I agree that the steep put in works great for crowd control.

The Lower Blue is a hidden gem, and I would hate to see it turned into an Upper C scene.

Fallingup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011   #12

Donkey Town, Colorado
Leave the lower blue the way it is, if your not man enough to get down there then you shouldn't be allowed down. Last tailwater gem in CO. Leave her alone.

jimr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011   #13

Littleton, Colorado
Paddling Since: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimr View Post
Leave the lower blue the way it is, if your not man enough to get down there then you shouldn't be allowed down. Last tailwater gem in CO. Leave her alone.
Amen!

And B.T.W. - Nice action sequence Ole Rivers.

I can't tell you how many mishaps I've witnessed over the years involving broken ropes and such.
slavetotheflyrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011   #14

Dillon, Colorado
Paddling Since: 02'
Leave it as is! keep it real - there is enough concrete in the area
Deez Nuuuutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011   #15

Arvada (Denver), Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deez Nuuuutz View Post
Leave it as is! keep it real - there is enough concrete in the area

BOAT SLIDE PUT-IN IMPROVEMENT (for boaters' interests in the Canyon section):

Colorado Whitewater supports improving the put-in as stated in March, 2008 Summit County Government - Colorado --> Compilation of Public Comments Received as of April 15, 2008 http://co.summit.co.us/Documents4Rev...s%20ToDate.pdf Comment #14 :

"Colorado Whitewater maintains the position that the best way to improve the river experience for kayakers is to improve the put-in at the Green Mountain dam..."

and in Comment #15:

Section 2.8: "...since at least 2000, CW has volunteered to work on improving the put-in."

FOOTBRIDGE IMPROVEMENT (for wading anglers' interests in the Canyon section):
My Comment #13 and Comment #16 supports footbridge AND boat slide improvements plus limited width/location path easements in the Canyon section:

"1/9 - Comment: All Win.
Green Mountain Canyon area strategically located and environmentally sensitive improvements, such as evenly, safely and legally distributed footbridges, boat slides with steps and walking, limited width/location path easements, provide access for Public Quiet Recreationist Users and protect Private Landowner/Recreationist Users in ways that increase, or create, self reliant experiential freedom and reduce, or eliminate, the need for restrictions, regulations and permits throughout the Green Mountain Canyon and Lower Blue River Corridor to the benefit of all."

What You Can Do:

Read all comments and other documents however, especially, read CW's Comments 14 and 15 plus my Comments 13 and 16.

Individually, and/or groupwise, contact the main people at USFS Dillon (Silverthorne), BLM Kremmling, DPW Hot Sulphur Springs, BVR (yes, BVR, they're stakeholders too), Shadow Creek Ranch, Blue Valley Estates HOA President, Colorado Whitewater, American Whitewater, yours truly by email and all other stakeholders to let them know you want to resurrect the discussions and keep you informed of the progress, meeting dates, etc.

Continue following up until the boat gets on the water.

Keep in mind that BLM is probably highly involved now with their new Resource Management Plan and that Memorandums of Understanding are in process for the "Citizens for Conservation of the Lower Blue" group that has been formed since around 2009 to do the plan, but keep on them anyway to get things started if you're so inclined and interested.
Ole Rivers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011   #16

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 70s
Sorry, I have not searched old threads........I don't know the details of the take out, any info? ....also with the current state of the landowners and the limited public land along the way, what is the status of the land swaps (which sounds like will screw us for any rest spots along the river?!)possibly pending? thanks, Chet
CROE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011   #17

Erosion

There is no keeping it the way the put in slope has been or is now... the pics below show the erosion in 2007, 2009 and 2011. Without some or a lot of improvements, the slope may continue to erode from each of many more boats scraping the dirt and rocks down and get steeper and worse, not better, in another 4 years with deeper gullies and more exposed rocks til the rocks get dislodged and worsen over time until maybe it gets so steep, rocky and/or gullied that noone can get their boat down.

And then there's the mudhole. I've got pics then and now of that, too. Yes, it's deeper now than before and likely to get deeper rather than shallower when even 4 wheelers get bottomed out.

Now that the BLM Kremmling Resource Management Draft Plan is out and taking public comments (since around Sept 16, 2011 and for another 65 days or so), maybe it's time to begin putting the stakeholders of the canyon and valley sections of the Lower Blue Corridor together in anticipation of a Final RMP to discuss and come up with a plan to manage the put in and other issues of the Corridor so that there is a comprehensive All Win solution.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	971547971505_0_BG.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	307.1 KB
ID:	4076   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0280.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	752.0 KB
ID:	4077  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1000.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	884.6 KB
ID:	4078  
Old 10-11-2011   #18

Littleton, Colorado
Paddling Since: 98
Hey Ole Rivers - has something new shaken loose? Last I'd heard the whole mgt plan had pretty much died on the vine.

Once upon a time I made about a million phone calls and emails basically offering to donate the lumber and materials needed to make some of the suggested improvements. I'll make a long story short - trying to donate tens of thousands of dollars in lumber in labor was a giant fucking waste of my time. No one at any level had any interest whatsoever in anything to do with any kind of improvements to the resource even if it didn't cost their organization a dime and they didn't have to lift a finger. I got a bit frustrated and said to a few folks "well fuck it then, hows about I just make it happen?" "Well, then we'd just have to go down there and remove all of that, and you could potentially be on the hook for the costs associated." "So let me understand this right, you guys won't spend a dime or lift a finger to improve a resource that's in need of a little TLC, but you will spend the time and effort to un-do those same improvements if some anonymous benefactor should see fit to make them happen on their own dime and own dime?" "Yep"
slavetotheflyrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by slavetotheflyrod View Post
Hey Ole Rivers - has something new shaken loose? Last I'd heard the whole mgt plan had pretty much died on the vine.

Once upon a time I made about a million phone calls and emails basically offering to donate the lumber and materials needed to make some of the suggested improvements. I'll make a long story short - trying to donate tens of thousands of dollars in lumber in labor was a giant fucking waste of my time. No one at any level had any interest whatsoever in anything to do with any kind of improvements to the resource even if it didn't cost their organization a dime and they didn't have to lift a finger. I got a bit frustrated and said to a few folks "well fuck it then, hows about I just make it happen?" "Well, then we'd just have to go down there and remove all of that, and you could potentially be on the hook for the costs associated." "So let me understand this right, you guys won't spend a dime or lift a finger to improve a resource that's in need of a little TLC, but you will spend the time and effort to un-do those same improvements if some anonymous benefactor should see fit to make them happen on their own dime and own dime?" "Yep"
Well, it hasn't died, it's kinda in limbo. The way I understand it, the RMP gets done, then maaayyyybbee it gets started again. More phone calls need to be made to, say, BLM, USFS, etc, by us public interest type folk to stay in the loop for when it does. The RMP will take another 6 months or so to go through the process and i'm thinking the mgt plan should be anticipated concurrently with it. btw, there's two RMP's going on now, Kremmling and Glenwood or Silt or something like that.

With the RMP's in process, it's now time to slide back into things to have a say.

BLM Colorado | Kremmling Draft RMP

As for the improvements, everything has to go through the hoops so that's why whoever you talked to (USFS?) said what they said.
Old 10-12-2011   #20

Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
I know this is difficult to do for rafts, but kayakers should think of using one of the other trails down (to help slow the erosion). There are 2 other trails that are just as good or better upstream, near the edge of the chain-link-fence (plus you get another rapid)...