Old 09-01-2009   #31

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Re: river knives - there are two simple things to do so that your will probably not lose your knife.

1. Use a short piece of bungee/shock cord - like they sell a REI, 3/16" or so, tie from the lanyard hole in the knifes handle with a loop at the top to go over the sheath. If you wrap this halfway around the knife as you go it is very secure and can easily be removed with one or two fingers.

2. Take a piece of multi braid string or accessory cord - also from REI or a similar place, and tie your sheath with a taunt line to a shoulder strap, side strap or other nearby secure place on your jacket.

This has worked for me for the last 10 seasons with the same knife.

raftus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009   #32

Golden, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by KSC View Post
There's also that video from Marty of a guy getting dragged along the bottom of the river for a good 100 yards after swimming out of Ginger.
I was just checking the river bottom for ropes.

blutzski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by raftus View Post
Re: river knives - there are two simple things to do so that your will probably not lose your knife.

1. Use a short piece of bungee/shock cord - like they sell a REI, 3/16" or so, tie from the lanyard hole in the knifes handle with a loop at the top to go over the sheath. If you wrap this halfway around the knife as you go it is very secure and can easily be removed with one or two fingers.

2. Take a piece of multi braid string or accessory cord - also from REI or a similar place, and tie your sheath with a taunt line to a shoulder strap, side strap or other nearby secure place on your jacket.

This has worked for me for the last 10 seasons with the same knife.
When we took Nick Wigston's/Mike Mather's SWR course (which was excellent - I highly recommended it), Mike suggested using a thick rubberband to hold a knife as suggested above in #1. Using a rubberband holds the knife in, but is easy to break when you need the knife. It's worked for us so far. However, we also use Bearclaw knives and they seem to stay in the sheath.
H2Obug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009   #34
gh

pnw, Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by blutzski View Post
Funny, sorta like The Dude and the toilet...."I know its down there somewhere, let me take another look"
Old 09-01-2009   #35

thornton, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1969
Quote:
Originally Posted by blutzski View Post
Heard there is some nice knives down there too.
raymo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009   #36
Beginner

Eastern Slope, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
Quote:
Originally Posted by H2Obug View Post
When we took Nick Wigston's/Mike Mather's SWR course (which was excellent - I highly recommended it), Mike suggested using a thick rubberband to hold a knife as suggested above in #1. Using a rubberband holds the knife in, but is easy to break when you need the knife. It's worked for us so far. However, we also use Bearclaw knives and they seem to stay in the sheath.
I'll second both of these. The Bear Claw has yet to pop out of my sheath, even on the raft slip n' slide at low water! For those that guide rafts, just ask a customer for the big rubber band from their waterproof disposable camera at the end of the trip.

Randaddy is offline   Reply With Quote