Old 06-08-2011   #1
Western Slope, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005

Hello all, I am firefighter with the Glenwood Springs Fire Department. Due to an incident yesterday with a lost paddle board from the Glenwood Wave that was traveling towards New Castle and the amount of resources it took out of service down valley. My officers requested that I post this asking that all parties who lose a piece of equipment (riverboards, kayaks, even rafts...) and are not with it or able to recover it; please contact their local dispatch center or a law enforcement official as soon as possible. This will help ensure that emergency personnel are available to respond on real emergencies. With the amount of drive by cell phoning this will be a great help for personnel to better serve the community. The non emergency contact for the Garfield County Dispatch Center is 970-625-8095.

Thanks, Jesse

JFH68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011   #2
Longmont, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
This is a good idea any time you lose or pin a boat for extended time, especially on roadside runs like clear creek, etc

tellutwurp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011   #3
Boy Howdy!
Colotucky, USA
Paddling Since: 2006
Thanks Jesse, I will pass it on
Who's your monkey?
pinemnky13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011   #4
Shit Creek, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
For sure. *CSP on the cell will always be able to get you to the local dispatch so you dont have to write down or program in a bunch of numbers.
Speak of Peace, (but carry a big gun)
powdahound76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011   #5
Bailey,Vanbydriviera, CO, CO/ bingyomoney
Paddling Since: 2004
Powdahound- "an armed society is a polite society" I like your quote, so true.

Jesse- Hit Harlan Nimmo in his broken clavicle for me, just kiddin. Did you warn him not to ride his bike in the street anymore? Who is gonna carry my gear on the desert trips now?
Buzzards- Save yourselves- Self rescue is the best option, your crew should be able to deal with recovering ANY swimmers, lost gear, etc. Don't be a victim, don't depend on EMS, don't overestimate your skillset. Err on the side of caution, there is always another chance at glory or destruction right around the corner.........
But, you do only get one chance to run a drop blind!!
"Those who are willing to trade security for freedom deserve neither."-Ben Franklin
badswimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011   #6
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 85
This thread seems to be most appropriate place to post that I just saw 2 cops, 4 firefighters and an ambulance crew on lower Clear Creek in Denver, searching for the boater whose red kayak was pinned in the creek. Probably lost far upstream, but they responded as they should, nonetheless. This is LOWER Clear Creek, way Lower, between Kipling and Wadsworth in Denver. It's stuck under a tree, south bank, upstream from Prospect Park.

If you lost a red/orange kayak in recent days, please call Jeffco Sherrifs and tell them you are alive....
disco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011   #7
Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1985
Some advice I've received from local EMS is to avoid terms specific to the sport, the person at dispatch may not be a boater. EX. "swimmer" to us doesn't mean somebody jumped in and went swimming but could to them.

As stated above report lost boats and that everyone is OK and on shore, if this is true. Most of the calls to 911 for river rescue along I-70 are from passing motorists seeing what they think is an emergency.
riojedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011   #8
Eagle, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
Call it in!

When there is a report of a river board going down stream I think the only safe assumption to make is that there may be a person in the river who is need of assistance. If your involved in a loss of equipment or a witness and are confident no one is in danger call EMS and let em know. I called 911 sunday to report my unmanned mini-me and they were quite glad for the report. Also, should someone else find your gear, it will probably have an easier time finding it's way home.
Porkchop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011   #9
Denver/ Golden/ HR, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
Hello all,
I swam in screaming quater mile today. My boat made it all the way down to below tunnel 1 where there is the split for the diversion. My boat got pinned on a bad strainer. The FD showed and said they were going to remove the tree and there were already two boaters that just ran from tunnel one down and reported it to the FD. So for now do not do tunnel 1 down.
Welfarebuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011   #10
e-town, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1998

liquidchaos is offline   Reply With Quote

lyons creek clinic