Old 05-27-2010   #11

New Castle, Colorado
Many thanks

3d3vart, Thanks for saying that,
I have a lot of friends that are in Law Enforcement and they will admit that there are a lot of shall we say "ticket happy" members out there. But Dude it say’s NO PARKING and seatbelt’s are the law, get over it. You got busted pay the fine if the officer gave you a ticket. If he just gave you a talking too, then all the better you talked to a better officer then most. As f or the tire thing, Granted I have been on the river mooching spots on rafts and trips being a good deck monkey with the goal of getting my own ride learning the ropes.
On each trip 99% of the people on the river are great! To have someone say that they were going to do something then skip on it is just wrong! I have worked all jobs, from Framing to Stringing fences to after collage as a Planner, everyone works for the money, who cares what they do. Just because some douchebag got your tires do not screw the guy making it better for you and feeling bad that it happened, and the guy doing the work actually did feel bad for leaving all the tires flat, and that is why he called to see if it was OK to do the rest with out the owners there and why he did.
Just my thoughts.

jhon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010   #12

Highlands Ranch, CO Paddling Since: 1993
That is such a bummer to have that happen to you guys, but that was also very cool for the sheriff to help you guys out like that.

I just sent a nice little thank you to the mesa county sheriffs office via email on their website. I would imagine little things like that can go along ways with the sheriff in building a good relationship with the boating community.

stinginrivers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010   #13

New Castle, Colorado
Could have been so much worse with the history of break in's there. I too have talked to the sheriff and the PR person there to say thanks and they stated that they would step up patrols in the parking lot at later hours. With that said watch the camping as they stated they "cannot enforce" the camping issue but will open containers in the parking lot, so the beach is fine??????

Talking and being safe and respectful can go a long way, if you are contacted by LE, say yes sir and such, it can defuse the situation and you may find they too use the river just like we do(maybe).

Wow! So did not mean this to be such an issue! Sorry bout that!

Many thanks!
Old 05-27-2010   #14

New Castle, Colorado
Sheriff Stan Hilkey,

As a former City employee and with many Friends who are in law enforcement, I thought you may like to see the positive comments about the actions of your Deputies, in perticular concerning the actions of Deputy Jamie Pennay, #189. This concerns the call paced to Deputy Pennay by the Coop employee's after they expressed their concerns leaving so many vehicles disabled at the loma parking lot. From the communication I overheard they were directed by Deputy Pennay to inflate the rest of the tires in the parking lot with out the owners being present. I feel this goes beyond the call of duty for your office. Many thanks for those who exited the parking lot after I did, not knowing of the issues with their tires.

Here is the link for the conversation, http://www.mountainbuzz.com/forums/f14/loma-put-in-tire-issues-30696-2.html#post186328
Old 05-27-2010   #15

steamboat springs, Colorado
jhon,

do you have contact info for either Sheriff Hilkey or Dep. Pennay?

3d.
3d3vart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010   #16

New Castle, Colorado
sheriffinfo[AT]mesacounty.us

Jamie.Pennay[AT]mesacounty.us
Old 05-27-2010   #17

New Castle, Colorado
I am trying to get the info on the guys that worked for the Coop too.
Old 05-27-2010   #18

Many years ago I spent 4 days on Horsethief/Ruby/Westwater working with the Mesa County (Co) and Grand County (Ut) sheriffs department on a search that turned into a recovery. They are good people! They work hard, have families, love the rivers and mountains and laugh and cry just like we do. You can hate them when they are busting you for speeding or open container, but you got to love them when you are lost in the mountains or bleeding on the side of the road and they are there to help. By the third day of the search/recovery most of them were working for free on their days off, the 4th of July holiday had wiped out their overtime budget and but they were still there to help.
Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010   #19

Aurora, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Just want to say that I've had some issues at Loma and I've had great luck with the Sherriff's office there. They were really nice to me when my truck got hit and I'm not surprised that they went out of their way to help out the boaters.
I would like to mention that they put up with a lot of "crap" from boaters and non-boaters alike and they are still great. Much respect to them. We should remember this when we complain about the no camping sign at the ramp.
Sounds like everyone got taken care of at Loma. Great to hear that, but I'm a little sad that the coop guys got somewhat hosed. If you left and didn't even realize your car was vandalized, that's one thing, but if you bailed without paying them because you're a jerk, then bad on you. What goes around, comes around.
kclowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010   #20

New Castle, Colorado
Reply from the sheriff

Thank you both for your email regarding the event at the Loma boat ramp. I've also read the comments posted on the Mountainbuzz website. Please consider posting this response there as well because I'd like to thank everyone for their kind comments.

This morning I spoke with Deputy Pennay. First, with the holiday weekend ahead of us it is appropriate to acknowledge that Deputy Pennay is a military veteran with combat experience in the Middle East. I feel very honored to be able to work along side people like that.

In true fashion of his professional bearing, Deputy Pennay plays down his role in helping out with this event and is just glad he had the opportunity to earn your trust. He also wanted to give credit to the man from the Fruita COOP.

We are extremely grateful for your comments, and want you to know that we do want to continue to earn the trust of you and your fellow river users.
Please have a great Memorial Day weekend and we always appreciate responsible river users like yourselves because it makes our jobs much easier.
Stay Safe!
Sheriff Stan Hilkey