Old 03-28-2009   #1

Lake City, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1990
Lake Fork of the Gunnison (right to float)

As you know floating season is almost here and I would like to get the word out about the awesome river here in Lake City that is being missed out on. Boat traffic has pretty much disappeared here on the Lake Fork after a lawsuit between landowners and a commercial rafting company. The company had to fold because of financial problems. In the past couple of years there has been only one or two boats besides mine float the stretch from town down. There is a ranch about a mile out of town that has been threatening with lawsuits for a few years now. They seem to get more upset about fishing while floating through the stretch of their ranch, but why give up one right to be able to enjoy another. I have fished alot of rivers and there is not another that even comes close to this one. If you want to be disappointed when you hook up with a little 24 inch cut bow this is the stretch for you. The river needs more boaters (fishing or not). The Lake Fork has pretty short floating season so it would not be hard to get alot more traffic on the river. Please help support the right to float. If landowners get there way on this one your favorite river could be next!

doughboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009   #2

Little Village, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
I like the idea of flooding the Lake Fork with boaters to force the dickhead rancher to do something stupid. Besides being a pretty stretch of river through one the last authentic, non-I-70 themepark mountain towns, it's a flashpoint in the established right to float. Thanks for the reminder, doughboy. Time for a Lake City roadtrip this summer.

Old 03-28-2009   #3
God Amongst Men

Phuoc My, Da Nang, THE 'NAM
Paddling Since: 1845
Quote:
Originally Posted by doughboy View Post
As you know floating season is almost here and I would like to get the word out about the awesome river here in Lake City that is being missed out on. Boat traffic has pretty much disappeared here on the Lake Fork after a lawsuit between landowners and a commercial rafting company. The company had to fold because of financial problems. In the past couple of years there has been only one or two boats besides mine float the stretch from town down. There is a ranch about a mile out of town that has been threatening with lawsuits for a few years now. They seem to get more upset about fishing while floating through the stretch of their ranch, but why give up one right to be able to enjoy another. I have fished alot of rivers and there is not another that even comes close to this one. If you want to be disappointed when you hook up with a little 24 inch cut bow this is the stretch for you. The river needs more boaters (fishing or not). The Lake Fork has pretty short floating season so it would not be hard to get alot more traffic on the river. Please help support the right to float. If landowners get there way on this one your favorite river could be next!
Is the stretch from town down to the High Bridge floatable, with no obstructions? I boat the Lake Fork a lot, but I always steer clear of there in favor of the town run, or runs downstream. I would love to float through that section but I was always under the assumption there was fences and/or ranch hazards - low bridges & dams - through that section. If it's clear and boatable I will make it a point to float through it this summer! as often as I can!

What about the stretch upstream, from Argenta to Crooke's? Is it too privatized in there to do anything?
Old 03-28-2009   #4

Arvada (Denver), Colorado
Rights to "Use of" and "Access to/from"

I, also, have fished the Lake Fork and would highly recommend it to boaters and fishermen alike. It's a good one!

As shown in this thread:

Utah Bill will limit river access ,

for the past several months, I have been and continue to be closely involved in the Utah "Recreational USE of Public Waters On Private Streambeds" defeated (poorly written and offpoint) and upcoming new legislative bills.

I am also involved in the Lower Blue River Management Plan where the private interests are to restrict and control through boating permits through the Green Mountain Canyon and Valley sections rather than the publics' interests, as expressed by CWWA and AW in their public comments, for improvements to manage the lower 15 mile corridor of the Blue.

Instead of thinking in terms of "Right to FLOAT", which has to do with touching the surface of the water, rather, think in terms of "Right to the USE of Public Waters Incidental to Recreational Activities", which covers touching the streambed.

Also, keep in mind that "USE of" is a different right than ACCESS to/from" public waters.

What has been and continues to be going on in Utah and Montana court rulings and legislation is very relevant to the Lake Fork Cannibal case and our recreational rights here in Colorado.

On the Lake Fork and other bodies of the Colorado state waters, you already have long settled Federally protected rights to the use of, access to/from public lands, portage under certain circumstances, "navigability in fact as in law" just as the private property owner has rights to ownership, privacy, etc. However, Colorado's state laws have never been Clarified to synch up with the Federal laws.

Just as the private landowner is protected by trespassing and limited liability, under certain circumstances, laws, the public waterowner and user is protected by harassment and limited liability, under certain other circumstances, laws as well. Print out copies to take with you and, if the landowner violates those laws, have them enforced just as the landowners can do with theirs.

Both and together, the private landowners and public waterowners have Coexisting rights. Such being the case, the private property owners' rights are Dominant over the Servient easements and rights of the water owner/user rights when they are about rights, easements, estates, etc., Above the defined water mark, whether high or low, and the opposite is true when the rights, easements, estates, etc, are Below the defined water mark. The defined water mark is very important in defining the various rights of both interests.

The challenge of all this is that these rights aren't Clarified here in Colorado.

The issue is discussed by PatrickT, one of the main ColoradoWhitewater.org people, in Ignore your rights and they'll go away and in the Colorado Whitewater page at http://www.americanwhitewater.org/co...p/id/access:co NOTE, especially in the paragraph just above "Miscellaneous" paragraph, where it reads, "...(or the legislature provides further clarification on)".

btw, the Lake Fork Cannibal case is mentioned in the "Miscellaneous" paragraph.

The legislative alternative may be where your involvement can come into play, rather than or along with testing the issue out on the water with a court case.
Ole Rivers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009   #5

Lake City, Colorado
Right to Use

Thank you Ole Rivers for the post. I appreciate all the great information. I think you might be someone that I need to keep in contact with because this could be the year especially if the river traffic doesn't increase. thanks again! FLOAT THE LAKE FORK
Old 03-29-2009   #6
God Amongst Men

i would love to float that section of the lake fork, but first i need you to ANSWER MY QUESTION
Old 03-29-2009   #7

Lake City, Colorado
lAKE FORK

Yes the stretch from town to High Bridge is very Floatable. At high water there is one bridge that if you have a fishing frame it could be a problem but you can scout it from the road. It is the bridge before the Lake Fork fishing Club. It usually is not a problem. There is a take before this bridge if needed. thanks
Old 03-29-2009   #8

Lake City, Colorado
Argenta to Crooke's

Not real sure about Argenta to Crooke's. I know for sure I'm not doing it in a super puma. I know someone that has ran it and if you want I'll get more information on that stretch.
Old 03-29-2009   #9
God Amongst Men

Quote:
Originally Posted by doughboy View Post
Yes the stretch from town to High Bridge is very Floatable. At high water there is one bridge that if you have a fishing frame it could be a problem but you can scout it from the road. It is the bridge before the Lake Fork fishing Club. It usually is not a problem. There is a take before this bridge if needed. thanks
Muchas gracias. I looked at that stretch in Google Earth today, and there looks to be a whole string of what look to be mostly fishing impoundments with maybe one or two irrigation dams mixed in. I take it these are runnable then? We always put in just below there, at the first BLM access north of that private, right inside the little canyon....You'll have to guide me down this summer sometime, I will give you a holler the first time I come down.

I talked to a buddy who lives in LC one time about the Lake to Town stretch, he said it's all flatwater except for Argenta and Crooke's. He says they've both been ran, I would love to see video of that because those falls are insane! But floating that stretch and portaging them doesn't look to be an option so.........I dunno.
Old 03-29-2009   #10

Lake City, Colorado
Hey I'm not sure what google maps is showing but from town to the access where you usually put in is clear of any obstacles what so ever. As soon as the water comes up you can either come down and hop in my boat or follow me through. That offer is good for anyone who wants to check out the Lake Fork.

Tags
lake fork of the gunnison