Old 03-30-2009   #21

Lake City, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1990
The valley view ranch below town will only harass you if you are fishing. If you are floating through clean and not fishing I'm pretty sure they will smile and wave as you pass through. I've only heard of people being harassed below the gate. It's been all good everytime I've been through and I have never seen a barbed wire fence. Some may disagree but the areas where landowners are raising hell are the areas that need to be floated more. If you are willing to throw in the towel and avoid those areas I guess they win. Not me.

doughboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009   #22

I know that when Cannibal went out of business it was Yosi Lutwak of the Gateview ranch and the Timber Ranch that took them to civil court. These two ranches are just below the Gate put-in.
With in the last few years issues have came up with the Valley View Ranch. Knowing that there have always been these issues makes me wonder why this ranch wasnt in the court case to begin with. Doughboy do you know why? Is it just because he just recently put in the fish habitat and is stocking the river with fish? I know that once someone releases fish into public land, like a river, it becomes public property. Does he not understand this or is he just being difficult.

overlyworked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009   #23

Arvada (Denver), Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlyworked View Post
I know that when Cannibal went out of business it was Yosi Lutwak of the Gateview ranch and the Timber Ranch that took them to civil court. These two ranches are just below the Gate put-in.
With in the last few years issues have came up with the Valley View Ranch. Knowing that there have always been these issues makes me wonder why this ranch wasnt in the court case to begin with. Doughboy do you know why? Is it just because he just recently put in the fish habitat and is stocking the river with fish? I know that once someone releases fish into public land, like a river, it becomes public property. Does he not understand this or is he just being difficult.
This is like throwing red meat to the lions ....

Here's the law review article written by one of the Cannibal defense attorneys in the original case. Basically, it reads that the case may have won the "Right to Float (Use)" but the funds ran out ( ain't that the truth! ) :

http://www.abanet.org/environ/commit...2/potter.shtml

imo, To gain "Recreational Access to/from and Use of Public Waters Over Private Streambeds and Livestock Control/Property Management",

CLARIFY, EXPAND AND CONSTRUCT.

The goal is to clarify the existing (or make new) access, use, livestock control and property management laws, expand the existing CDOW Walk In Access program to include fishing and construct footbridge and boat slide improvements that form a common ground solution for Colorado, in general, and, specifically, the Lake Fork, so that All Win .

To effect change:

1) Write your local Colorado state legislators asking them to enact legislation,
2) Contact local landowners asking them to cooperate and participate in a Walk In Access program,
3) Contact, join and ask ColoradoWhitewater.org how they may cover you in Right to Use cases, along with their other benefits,
4) Form an Initiative to amend the Colorado State Constitution and/or
5) Test the harassment, trespass and navigability, etc, in court by floating.
Before you do, though,
A) Call and confirm (or ask CWWA to do it, if a member), prior to floating or walking, whether your county sheriff department and/or District Attorney will enforce or prosecute harassment, trespass and navigability, etc, and/or
B) View
Ole Rivers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009   #24
God Amongst Men

Phuoc My, Da Nang, THE 'NAM
Paddling Since: 1845
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlyworked View Post
lutwak is a piece of work. we did some minor work for him one time and the guy was just a total asshole, pretty much thought he knew more than you on every subject possible, i wanted to ring that guy up but had to restrain myself......somebody needs to make that guy change his view, forcefully if necessary. i dont know either of the other ranchers but ive heard of numerous problems with the guys below the gate.
Old 04-01-2009   #25

Gunnison, Colorado
HAHA! Dude, that video was hilarious. Especially when she drops her boat off the car and then it says "The Whistleblower." Then at the end she says she still had her paddle. LMAO! Reminded me of Grif's good paddling buddy.

Yeti, let me know when you head over there. I'm down to paddle whatever. I'd prefer something with a little more excitement, but if it helps out, i'll paddle whatever needs to be boated. YAY for pissing off ranchers!
riverrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009   #26
God Amongst Men

Phuoc My, Da Nang, THE 'NAM
Paddling Since: 1845
i can never find enough people to go boating, so rest assured i would be calling you anyway

got out on the gunny a coupla weeks ago, not very exciting, but worth it to be back in the water.....you been out yet?

Tags
lake fork of the gunnison