Old 03-29-2009   #11
God Amongst Men

Phuoc My, Da Nang, THE 'NAM
Paddling Since: 1845
this is just a snapshot from google earth, this is about halfway down in the middle of the first park below LC

this is just a brief section of it, but there are visible structures in the river like the ones above throughout these stretches, are these all easy plop-n-drop affairs? there is nothing too dangerous or retentive?

Old 03-29-2009   #12

303, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Hey,
We paddled it last year in July around 830 CFS.
The Lake Fork Box section is beautiful...all class II or II+ there are a lot of strainers though and a few low bridges. If you plan on bringing a oar rig in there over 800 you will have to portage the second bridge and there is no eddy above it. We had a raft with a low profile oar rig and we scraped the bridge...kinda sketchy.
There is also a river wide strainer around mile 5 or 6 on a right hand bend...watch for it, you will need to catch a micro eddy and line the boat over the raft. Jace wacked the branches off the log last year so it is easy to line a raft over now.

the Gate-Red Bridge section has some sketchy river wide barbwire...there is a small gap on the center right side...you can not portage this, you must run it. We did have a rancher chase us down in his truck through this sestion as well.

It is a nice float. Good luck in there! it is class II/II+ with some crazy portages, strainers, barbwire, bugs and angry land owners.

I would probably do it again but not in a raft.

- Christine

http://www.whitewaterhelmet.com/index2.asp
CUkayakGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009   #13
God Amongst Men

Quote:
Originally Posted by CUkayakGirl View Post
Hey,
We paddled it last year in July around 830 CFS.
The Lake Fork Box section is beautiful...all class II or II+ there are a lot of strainers though and a few low bridges. If you plan on bringing a oar rig in there over 800 you will have to portage the second bridge and there is no eddy above it. We had a raft with a low profile oar rig and we scraped the bridge...kinda sketchy.
There is also a river wide strainer around mile 5 or 6 on a right hand bend...watch for it, you will need to catch a micro eddy and line the boat over the raft. Jace wacked the branches off the log last year so it is easy to line a raft over now.

the Gate-Red Bridge section has some sketchy river wide barbwire...there is a small gap on the center right side...you can not portage this, you must run it. We did have a rancher chase us down in his truck through this sestion as well.

It is a nice float. Good luck in there! it is class II/II+ with some crazy portages, strainers, barbwire, bugs and angry land owners.

I would probably do it again but not in a raft.

- Christine
hey.....thanks for the info but we already knew all of that thats the standard info per the bible or any info sites.

were talking about the stretch immediately below town, down to the put in of the pre box, which is above the box itself.
Old 03-29-2009   #14

so all those structures were put in a few years back. it was a form of river restoration that has made the town to high bridge even better. great fishing, some small play, and great views. i would say that the "worst" one would be the first horseshoe that is just a few miles n of town. it can be sticky or really shallow. seen many duckies and sit-on tops take a beating there, but doughboy makes it through with no problems. i havent done the section from the lake to town in some years. dont really know where you would put in other than the lake and take the plunge at argenta, its all private until town.
the section above the lake is fun but there is one strainer about half way. doughboy have you ever ran that with us? its like a low II or so. but it has a really small runoff time.
overlyworked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009   #15
God Amongst Men

word. i will definitely make it a point to boat that stretch this summer a few times. how about an overnighter from town to gateview, have you ever done that? stay at the gate c.g.? could be fun.....

i've run from sherman (actually cataract gulch TH) down to the bridge just before castle lakes, that was fast class II with a few minor boulders thrown in, and then the bottom mile above the lake itself. that was all flat water. i want to run the stretch just above Williams Creek C.G., which is a short blast of gradient, but the rocks look like theyre kinda sharp and unfriendly. i take it you have run this section? heres some pics for those that havent seen it:

Old 03-30-2009   #16

Lake City, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1990
3 inches in LC and still falling
doughboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009   #17

Lake City, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1990
No i've never ran the stretch above the lake. When it is flowing good so is the town to high bridge run and I can't pull myself away from that stretch since it has a fairly short season itself. From high bridge to the gate does have obstacles at times but if you run it at the right level you never have to get out of your boat. Two years ago my ride didn't show up at high bridge so I decided to push on through to the Gate where a few other people had rides. My 18 month old son was sleeping on a bungee deck and didn't wake up until the gate. This might be a good year to do something about those strainers.
doughboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009   #18

yea when i was way young and didnt even have a roll my dad and i would go from town to red bridge in a day... a long day. but a few years back i decided to put in on henson at the ute ule and try and make it to blue mesa in a day. we ended up runnin red bridge at peak in the dark... way fun.

yea yeti i have run that stretch from williams creek down. its good but could see a duckie getting shredded in there. at peak it wouldnt be too bad.

dont forget about cottonwood. its a great 1/4 mile of full on V drop after drop.
lc has some of the best boating around mainly because you will never see anyone on the river except your group.
overlyworked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009   #19

Arvada (Denver), Colorado
Where's the legally problem areas, say, that ranch that was mentioned that keeps trying to keep people away? Just one place or are there others?

For id, I have an old BLM topo map that details and describes 7 different sections/easements...

1 Gateview CG --> Red Bridge CG (5 miles)
2 RB CG Upstream to Gorsuch Ranch ( 2 miles/Special regs 2 above 16" and return all rainbows flies and lures only) for 15 miles upstream)
3 GR fishing easement (.8 miles)
4 The Gate/Thomas Segment (2 miles)
5 The Big Bend (.5 mile w/special regs same as those in 2)
6 Seay Easement (300 yds)
7 Devil's Creek Segment (about 3.5 miles)
(could be different regs and more or less public locations/easements now but this can help me locate where you're talking about)

Also, are there public county roads or bridges where you could put in/take out but don't/can't because it's fenced or has signs or ??? to/within the public 60' Right of Way?

Also, Doughboy, how about IM'ing me your email? I may come by that way to release a couple gazillion 27ers or above and check things out.
Ole Rivers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009   #20
God Amongst Men

the most problematic stretches are the stretch immediately below Lake City, down several miles until you reach the first BLM access in a short little canyon. the other stretch is immediately below the gate campground, where a very private ranch owner harasses boaters.

Tags
lake fork of the gunnison