Old 10-02-2013   #11
Gunnison, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2009
I can help

I have friends that are marines at the embassy over there if anyone can contact with me with more information updates or any info that I can send to the marines would be helpful

Brandizzle99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013   #12
Ketchum, Idaho
Paddling Since: 15
Tajikistan Update

Helicopter 1 hour out from spot location. Medical resources in place. Global Rescue and GEOS staff working diligently to resolve issues in a very difficult country to work in. Thank you to all that have given support and provided contacts. Keep the boys in your thoughts.

soldiermtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013   #13
Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Any updates would be appreciated. I hold a couple of these gents close to my heart and I am finding it hard to focus on anything else at the moment. Resisting urge to call their families...
wsmckinney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013   #14
V for Victory
9300ft, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Send a message via AIM to SummitAP
Weather has to be just right to fly soviet bloc helicopters to a rescue at over 14,000ft
SummitAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013   #15
no tengo
Baytopia, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1876
From Matt Wilson

Update missing kayakers Ben Luck, Cooper Lambla, Matt Klema, Nate Klema, and Charles King in Tajikistan. I was told by Tom Klema this morning that a broken kayak was found with a backpack on it during a helicopter rescue attempt last night. Shortly after the kayak was spotted on this remote mountain pass another SOS signal was sent from their spot 6 miles south of the broken kayak location. The helicopter was unable to get their location do to night closing in. Another rescue attempt resume at daybreak. Thoughts and prayers for our boys.
mania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013   #16
Dipshit with the most.
Bellevue, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1991
Originally Posted by Andy H. View Post
I plugged the coordinates into Google Earth - they're a long way from the nearest Starbucks...
I tried to do that too and I couldn't even find the place to enter the coordinates and when I tried entering it in the main menu to the left it kept switching some of the numbers from East to West or vice versa. And not giving the right 'conversion'

How did you do this?

And JeanneV - don't get your knickers twisted I am sure Andy has the best interests of these guys in mind.
carvedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013   #17
Thanks for any and all updates. Anyone who knows this crew knows they wouldn't touch that SPOT button unless they are in a really serious situation.

By the same token, these guys are as tough as they come and if the shit hit the fan there isn't a better crew to be rolling with. My thoughts are with them.
doublet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013   #18
Missoula, Montana
Paddling Since: 1990
Coopers Family

I am Coopers Family so I did not appreciate the quick laid back Starbucks
response. I am a nervous mess right now...
JeanneV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013   #19
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
I contacted Senator Michael Bennet's office late last night and got a quick response this morning. They want to help if they can. I have direct contact info for the senators staff if they family or rescue coordinator wants to try and get their help.

As individuals its hard to get things to work. A senator can make things happen overseas with either military support, or perhaps in country assistance from embassy staff etc.

Family members or rescue coordinators... contact me at or 303-907-1373 and I will relay the senators info if you have not already contacted them.

Good luck to the boys. We are thinking of you and hoping for the best.
deepsouthpaddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013   #20
Missoula, Montana
Paddling Since: 1990

I will have my Brother - Coopers Dad get this info....

JeanneV is offline   Reply With Quote