Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > River Access & Safety Alerts!

Old 07-18-2009   #1

Glenwood Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1998
Jet skis on the Colorado at Glenwood Wave and South Canyon

Today Saturday the 18th of July I was buzzed by two jet skis at south canyon. The wave wasn't in so I headed to the Glenwood playpark where these two guys were jumping there jet skis off the concrete blocks that are just under water on the river left side. As far as I know this part of the Colorado is off limits to powered watercraft. This guys were pretty aprochable and talked to me after I called the cops because they were being more than a little reckless. For example I watched them jump and crash at least a dozen times in 15 minutes. The officer didn't give them a ticket but I'm pretty sure it was totally illegal. They approched me afterward and were pretty cool and said that they "just wanted to share the river". I'm all for sharing but inless you're search and rescue I'm pretty sure you can't have a motorized craft on the water. Can anyone let me know if I'm off base? And if it is illegal who would inforce the law?

tynewt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009   #2

Golden, Colorado
I don't think you were off base. I used to live and surf in Florida, with the largest infestation of jet skis in the world. Most of them are cool and safe and keep their distance from surfers and swimmers but there enough retarded ones that sometimes you just have to tell them to get lost.

I was surfing in Cocoa Beach with a buddy once and this jet ski kept hauling ass through the lineup and jumping waves and doing fat turns and throwing rooster tails in front of us between sets. My buddy motioned him over and the guy idled up to us with a huge smile on his face like he was having the time of his life and wasn't it cool that he was surfing with us. My buddy told him, "Do you think we like it when you buzz us with that noisy stinky piece of shit? Get the FUCK OUT OF HERE!". I thought that guy was going to cry. My friend was going to tear his head off and shit down his neck and the guy knew it. He peeled out in our faces and then got out of there, which was a wise move.

Ture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009   #3

Eagle-Vail, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
We saw the same dynamic duo just down river from where you ran into them... I agree that they don't belong, although I will say that they did try to keep a safe distance when our paths crossed. Did the police do anything at all?
peaks2paddles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009   #4

No the police just questioned and ran their vehicle registration. The skis were old and modified for the river environment. The guys were not rude at all and did try to keep their distance. They mentioned that they were local and implied that they would be back so heads up. Unfortunately the smell sound and shock of seeing a craft moving upstream at high speed freaked me out. In a crash of any kind that jet ski would win and with all the tubers, fisherman, rafters, stand up boarders do we really need to think about motorized water craft? Plus being hidden in the trough of a wave while surfing is scary enough with rafts coming down it would be frightening to worry about craft that will bash you to bits coming upstream.

Quote:
Originally Posted by peaks2paddles View Post
We saw the same dynamic duo just down river from where you ran into them... I agree that they don't belong, although I will say that they did try to keep a safe distance when our paths crossed. Did the police do anything at all?
Old 07-18-2009   #5

Longmont, Colorado
Paddling Since: 98
Sounds like no one knows if it is legal or not.

Either way you guys sound more than a little elitist. Kayakers don't own the river. It is a public right of way, that means the public gets to use it provided they are within the established rules.

If it is legal for them to be there then either learn to deal with it or go somewhere they can't. And no, I don't ride a jet ski, can't stand em.
GPP33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009   #6

I understand how I sound elitist in the above posts. To clarify I'm all for sharing the river with all responsible and legal users; tubers, swimmers, boggie borders, kayakers, rafts, fisherman.....even jet-skis if their legal for this section. I've boated on rivers shared with motorized craft and had no problem. Today I thought that I was in an area with no motorized craft and was startled when all of a sudden I wasn't. In eleven years of boating this section of river I've seen one other jet-ski and I watched the guy get out and have a very long talk with a sheriff and have never saw him again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPP33 View Post

Either way you guys sound more than a little elitist. Kayakers don't own the river. It is a public right of way, that means the public gets to use it provided they are within the established rules.

If it is legal for them to be there then either learn to deal with it or go somewhere they can't. And no, I don't ride a jet ski, can't stand em.
Old 07-19-2009   #7
adm

Frisco, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by GPP33 View Post

agreed! why does everyone have to call the cops/get upset when they see something different or something they dont like??

"different strokes for different folks"!!!
adm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009   #8

The next zone, .
Quote:
Originally Posted by adm View Post
agreed! why does everyone have to call the cops/get upset when they see something different or something they dont like??

"different strokes for different folks"!!!
I know for a fact (have pics to prove it) that my pops and pals used to motor boat up and down the colorado when they were growin up in G-wood in the 50's..... Pretty sure in the late 60's is when they said they did not want waterskiing on the flatwater above the dam... Fair to say things have changed a bit over in that valley since then...

I bet it would be fun to see.... I cant see why you would call the cops???? This was outside of g-wood so it will fall to sherriff and flat out - he has more important things to do..

The officer did not give them a ticket.... Just another way of sayin that you were wastin the sheriff's time... I would say that you were out of line to call the cops before you talked to these guys...

If it were me I would just mind my own business next time.....
Old 07-19-2009   #9

Cisco, Utah
Paddling Since: Dawn
Would like to hear Grifs thoughts on the matter...
UserName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009   #10

Aspen, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1994
I have wondered if a good rider could get from Glenwood to Aspen? Someone should do it and post it on youtube!

ZGjethro is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
glenwood springs, glenwood wave, jet skis, legal, safety