Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > River Access & Safety Alerts!

Old 08-05-2009   #41

Atlanta, Georgia
Paddling Since: 08
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theophilus View Post
Dude what's your point? Badminton is a dying sport too. I'm still trying to understand why I should care.
Nevermind, If I have to explain you wouldn't understand. Wise men say you can learn something from anyone. Yes its great to be in a sport that not alot of people are involved in. You get the surf waves all to your self, less people on the river and so on but with that comes a flip side of the coin. Without people involved the manufacturers go away, their is no innovation and you get stuck paddling ten year old boats with old technology. These guys have taken a sport that was dead for ten years and revived it. It has made the manufactures stand up and take notice. Yamaha and Kawasaki have even released new standups in the last few years. I just see alot of similar stuff. The huge waterfall huckers and people pushing the sport in any sport are what keep it going. Like it or not, people seeing Tyler Bradt drop a huge fall sells rec boats.

Quote:
Ok the final word from the forest service is..........Yes they can share the river with us paddle power boats! So maybe thats what people should do to find out things I took me 2 hours to find out. Calling the cops and trying to get some one in trouble makes you look bad. Dont be a dick and call the cops unless you are 100% sure of what they are doing is wrong or harmfull.
Dont believe me then call the eagle forest service and they will fill you in.
I had a feeling they were allowed. We have fought the same type of access issues as paddlers. These guys are riding standups. They are not your average Joe that went out and bought a couch (sitdown) and don't know the laws. Fact of the matter is if your allowed to have an outboard on your raft there then they are allowed to be there. We have fought for legislation to make it that way. For many years we were singled out because we were different and didn't fall under typical boat classing. We have organizations just like AW,we also have the manufactures that have a pretty powerfull voice (remember snowmobiles in yellowstone).
Quote:
If they were my friends, I'd probably mention to them that a helmet might be a good idea in the river. The guys in the videos that seem llike they know what they are doing all seem to wear them, so maybe it isn't like the terain park where helmets aren't cool?
I agree completely, For the most part we all wear helmets but there are a few jackasses that don't. Kinda like how people still paddle without PFD's. You would be surprised how many people sport helmets from kayak companies.

Calling the police on the guys without knowing the law is the same as landowners claiming they own the river and calling the cops when you have the right to be there. If you know for a fact they are breaking the law then call the police. We dont like lawless PWC riders either, they give the community a bad name as a whole. We need to give these guys the same understanding we expect a paddlers otherwise we are going against the same principals we use to gain access.

On another note I don't even really ride anymore. My knees can't take the hard landings as I'm getting older. I have found a new love in kayaking. I just have a really good perspective from the other side.

dallaskayaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009   #42
Kayak/SUP Instructor

The High Ground, Colorado
Just to be clear it seems that according to THIS POST it is NOT legal in the specific location they were riding.

100.050.010 Motorized watercraft prohibited.
Except as specifically provided herein, it shall be unlawful for any person to operate any motorized watercraft in or upon the Colorado River or the Roaring Fork River within the City. For purposes of this prohibition, motorized watercraft includes any self-propelled conveyance which is designed primarily for travel in or upon water and which is generally and commonly used to transport persons or property in or upon water. The term shall include, by way of example, any form of motor boat, jet skis or similar devices. Authorized emergency watercraft and other vessels operated by any governmental agency shall be exempt from this Section. (Ad 10-90 1)

Old 08-08-2009   #43

Calling the cops on them? Live and let live, douchebag.
blurredelevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009   #44

Boulder, Colorado, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
Why the hell would you call the cops. They're just having fun like the rest of us
bmml112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009   #45

185 lb. waste of space, Keeping Glenwood Springs real
Paddling Since: 1864
Glenwood wave would be illegal, pretty sure that south canyon is not G-wood, so it is outside city limits.

THeo, you should care about other sports because if we did we could all rollerblade our boats to the G-wood wave. Now I have to use rollerskates
yourrealdad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009   #46

Aspen, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1994
Quote:
Originally Posted by yourrealdad View Post
Glenwood wave would be illegal, pretty sure that south canyon is not G-wood, so it is outside city limits.

THeo, you should care about other sports because if we did we could all rollerblade our boats to the G-wood wave. Now I have to use rollerskates
Are roller blades not allowed on the path, or is it the "fruit boot" factor. Roller skates don't have a better image.

ZGjethro is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
glenwood springs, glenwood wave, jet skis, legal, safety