Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > River Access & Safety Alerts!

Old 08-04-2009   #31

Atlanta, Georgia
Paddling Since: 08
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theophilus View Post
Hurry someone please sign the "do not resuscitate" order. I guess I don't get it. What do we have to learn since we are not participating in a dying sport?
LOL as you paddle a playboat in your avatar. Just do some in depth research on jetski industry history in the early nineties. Look especially at freestyle jetski competition and the sanctioning bodies. Notice the industry trends then come back and tell me the same thing.

dallaskayaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009   #32

Carbondale, Colorado
Tyler-

You were definitely justified in calling the cops. Any motorized watercraft on any river in Colorado is completely illegal. The cops should have given those guys a fat ticket but hey they don't say anything to surfers/boogie boarders without life jackets despite the fact that they are required by Colorado law.

Matt Farrar

donkeyflip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009   #33

Park City, Utah
Paddling Since: 1985
cool vids

If they were my friends, I'd probably mention to them that a helmet might be a good idea in the river. The guys in the videos that seem llike they know what they are doing all seem to wear them, so maybe it isn't like the terain park where helmets aren't cool?
Old 08-04-2009   #34

castle rock, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
Donkeyflip were did you find that info out. I have been calling all around and so far everyone thinks it is ok but know one seems to have any answer? Seems to me like game on for those guys as long as we all share the river and are not bitches and calling the cops for bui!
dograft83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009   #35

castle rock, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
Ok the final word from the forest service is..........Yes they can share the river with us paddle power boats! So maybe thats what people should do to find out things I took me 2 hours to find out. Calling the cops and trying to get some one in trouble makes you look bad. Dont be a dick and call the cops unless you are 100% sure of what they are doing is wrong or harmfull.
Dont believe me then call the eagle forest service and they will fill you in.
dograft83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009   #36

Carbondale, Colorado
I might have jumped the gun saying that motorized watercraft was illegal on all Colorado rivers. It looks like that according to the BLM motorized watercraft is ok within Colorado, but I think that is on waterways controlled by the BLM. This is a shock to me as I have always been under the impression that motorized watercraft were illegal on rivers. So I stand corrected and apologize for my false statements.
donkeyflip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009   #37

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
In general the state of colorado would have the first tier of authority for regulating motorized water craft on rivers. According to the colorado state parks folks, the arkansas river from the headwaters to pueblo reservoir is the only section of river in colorado that the state specifically bans motorized water craft on. Don't have a link, but got this from the state parks boating coordinator.

Aside from state regs, other agencies that regulate the land rivers flow through can have their own regulations (blm, municipalities, forest service etc), although its seems that most don't. The BLM noted that there were no BLM regulations prohibiting motorized water craft in colorado that they were aware of.

It seems that the city of glenwood springs does have an municipal ordinance banning the use of motorized water craft on the colorado and roaring fork rivers within city limits, so jet skis at the playwave in town are illegal, not sure if south canyon wave is outside of city limits or not. See link below.

TITLE 100

As for motorized craft on rivers, rafts freqently use motors on flatwater, jet boats have been around for many years on rivers, and jet skis have been used as well. Jet boats are commonly used in idaho for shuttles and river trips. Motorized water craft are used up and down the colorado river, even through the grand canyon.

As for the negativity towards motorized users... I personally have no ill feelings, although I primarily kayak. I know where to go if I want a pristine wilderness trip, and most of the time, my group is the only group within eyesight on the water. I also know to expect lots of other river users in popular locations, and realize that I'm not the only one entitled to use the river. In the spring and summer, most folks love the water, and its there for all of us to use as we see fit. I do think it makes sense to have some common sense and keep fast moving motorized traffic like jet skis a safe distance from other boats, but thats another story.
deepsouthpaddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009   #38

Grand Junction, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
Jet Skis on the Colorado at Glenwood wave and South Canyon

I did some checking with government agencies.
The manager at the Div of Wildlife indicated that as far as he knew there are not motorized restrictions on the river except in the Shoshone area(this is unofficial).
A BLM contact indicated that only electric trolling motors are allowed on the Upper Colorado in the vicinity of State Bridge.

Colorado State Parks issues boating permits and referred me to this publication. Follow the link. I have not looked at it throughly yet.
http://parks.state.co.us/NR/rdonlyre...egs_Online.pdf

Bob
Colorado Ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009   #39
Kayak/SUP Instructor

The High Ground, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by dallaskayaker View Post
LOL as you paddle a playboat in your avatar. Just do some in depth research on jetski industry history in the early nineties. Look especially at freestyle jetski competition and the sanctioning bodies. Notice the industry trends then come back and tell me the same thing.
Dude what's your point? Badminton is a dying sport too. I'm still trying to understand why I should care.
Old 08-04-2009   #40

Longmont, Colorado
Paddling Since: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theophilus View Post
I'm not meaning to appear confrontational but have you got a link for that? I say that because I've never been able to find one and my googlefu is pretty strong. I'm not sure they have ever addressed it perhaps because they don't think it could be done.

I have read it a couple of times on AHRA publications, don't have a link on hand though.

GPP33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
glenwood springs, glenwood wave, jet skis, legal, safety