Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > River Access & Safety Alerts!

Old 07-26-2009   #11

Longmont, Colorado
Paddling Since: 98
Slaughter house falls comes to mind as a problem.

GPP33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009   #12

Aspen, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1994
I thought of that. I've seen fish clear the falls so an eighty horsepower ski might make it. I'm joking about the whole idea, but in the 80's there was talk of people making it to Basalt. I don't know if it is true or not, but it would be an awesome poach!

ZGjethro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009   #13

First reaction is to call the cops??? Congratulations, maybe you should call the Sierra Club and get a junior eco-Nazi ribbon to pin on your life vest.
mescalimick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009   #14

Winter Park, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
Quote:
Originally Posted by mescalimick View Post
First reaction is to call the cops??? Congratulations, maybe you should call the Sierra Club and get a junior eco-Nazi ribbon to pin on your life vest.

yeah what this guy said
backwoodsbridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009   #15
I'm wrong 50% of the time

RFV, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1977
This forum is pretty funny. As an avid snowmobiler, I have read many posts on the buzz that BASH snomo's just for being out there. A few threads come to mind: Snowmobiles on Aspen Mountain and Snowmobiles on Bethod Pass. In these threads, snowmobilers (for the most part) get blasted by the buzz community for being back country (or near country) users.

I find it really funny that people would bash a snomobiler, and yet think that use of a jet ski on the river is OK. I am all for mechanized transport in any area that it is deemed appropriate. Be this the Colorado River or the White River national Forest. I do not know the regulations on the Glenwood section of the CO.

When in doubt, call the NFS or BLM and ask hypothtically if this use is allowed. If it is, then maybe a friendly chat with said owner of vessel is in order to make sure they are following safe protocol. If it is not, the you have to make up your own mind on what to do.
Old 08-03-2009   #16
Kayak/SUP Instructor

The High Ground, Colorado
For many years I owned a powerful aluminum inboard jet boat in Alaska and I'm confident at high water I could launch at Parkdale and run all the way to Salida on the Ark.

I'd hate to see it happen, but I'm not sure it's illegal
Old 08-03-2009   #17

Longmont, Colorado
Paddling Since: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theophilus View Post
For many years I owned a powerful aluminum inboard jet boat in Alaska and I'm confident at high water I could launch at Parkdale and run all the way to Salida on the Ark.

I'd hate to see it happen, but I'm not sure it's illegal

AHRA does not premit motorized travel on the river between Leadville and the end of the Royal Gorge (at least, may be further).
GPP33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009   #18

Atlanta, Georgia
Paddling Since: 08
On a serious note though. I'm not sure if that section is legal or not. If it is, cut the guys some slack. Saying they don't belong is going against the same issues we bring up as kayakers/rafters to gain access to rivers.

I will say that I come from a background of freeriding/freestyle standup jetski's. I have run rapids on my ski but its not common and would only ride where they allow motorized traffic. Give these guys some time and let them sink a ski and loose it. Then they will see why its not commonly done. I have seen it happen at niagra. $20,000 dollar custom ski swamped and washed down river never to be seen again.

As far as a good rider being able to run the colorado. Check out this vid and you tell me.
dallaskayaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009   #19
Kayak/SUP Instructor

The High Ground, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by GPP33 View Post
AHRA does not premit motorized travel on the river between Leadville and the end of the Royal Gorge (at least, may be further).
I'm not meaning to appear confrontational but have you got a link for that? I say that because I've never been able to find one and my googlefu is pretty strong. I'm not sure they have ever addressed it perhaps because they don't think it could be done.
Old 08-03-2009   #20

Aspen, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1994
Quote:
Originally Posted by dallaskayaker View Post
On a serious note though. I'm not sure if that section is legal or not. If it is, cut the guys some slack. Saying they don't belong is going against the same issues we bring up as kayakers/rafters to gain access to rivers.

I will say that I come from a background of freeriding/freestyle standup jetski's. I have run rapids on my ski but its not common and would only ride where they allow motorized traffic. Give these guys some time and let them sink a ski and loose it. Then they will see why its not commonly done. I have seen it happen at niagra. $20,000 dollar custom ski swamped and washed down river never to be seen again.

As far as a good rider being able to run the colorado. Check out this vid and you tell me.
Most impressive. I would not mind seeing that on non-wilderness rivers.

ZGjethro is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
glenwood springs, glenwood wave, jet skis, legal, safety