Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > River Access & Safety Alerts!

Old 08-26-2011   #1

Blue River, Colorado
Injury at Upper Colorado jump rock ABOVE hot springs

please be forewarned that the upper c jump rock at the hot springs may be dangerous right now. a young woman was injured there yesterday. hoping and praying she will be okay!!!

BlueRiverKarenSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011   #2

Silverthorne, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
What were the circumstances? Did she not get out far enough? I ran that six days ago and all of us jumped and had no issues. We're all big guys, 200+, and didn't feel the bottom or any weird currents. Just wondering as I jump these cliffs alot. Thanks and hope she recovers quickly!

powrider686 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011   #3

Blue River, Colorado
not sure about the circumstances, only saw the splash and it looked like she was easily out far enough, but i didn't see her jump from the top. i know these are jumped a lot, and hope that there hasn't been some shift underwater. thanks for adding your experience to the blog and thanks for adding prayers for her recovery! sorry i don't know more, she wasn't with our group, and the group she was with was too devastated to communicate much.
Old 08-26-2011   #4

summit, Colorado
Are you talking about the cliffs river left just above the hot springs or the ones river right just downstream? I've seen a lot of people jump off at both spots.
basinrafter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011   #5

Silverthorne, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
I've jumped both plenty of times with no prob, I believe their talking about the bigger ones but not sure.
powrider686 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011   #6

Blue River, Colorado
the incident was at the cliffs on river left, just above the hot springs. they are taller than the cliffs downstream on river right, which are also popular. i also have many hours logged on this stretch and haven't seen problems until yesterday. i guess that's why i thought it was worth mentioning. i believe the young woman broke her back...so please say prayers!
Old 08-26-2011   #7

Golden, Colorado
It is always dangerous, not just now.

I've jumped it, but I'm older and wiser now. I'm pretty sure that people have died there in the past. Even if you don't hit the bottom you can still break your spine. I did a flip there once and landed wrong and chipped my teeth from hitting so hard.

Jumping off of cliffs into rivers and lakes is a very high risk activity. I don't do it anymore and I cringe every time I row through the hot springs on the Upper C while people are hucking, especially if they are doing it from the hot springs side. The hot springs side is very dangerous at any flow level.

Take it from me, I broke my neck in 2006, you don't ever want a spinal injury. Even if you are not paralyzed the pain is intense and lasts for years, maybe for life. Take the biggest nerve in your body and hammer it... that is what a spinal injury is.
Ture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011   #8

Cisco, Utah
Paddling Since: Dawn
About 10 years ago a guy died there... the specifics are sketchy as my aging memory recalls.. but I do recall he didn't surface for about a year.... and the dive teams that searched reported "One" marginally deep spot.. Also reported barbed wire and other debris tangled on the bottom... But I hear it is fun..
UserName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011   #9

Highlands Ranch, CO Paddling Since: 1993
^^^^I remember the one somewhere around 94 only because it was a friend of mine learning to kayak that found the body.

If I remember correctly they said there is a ledge closer to the cliff, that is what they suspected happened to that guy.

I have jumped that a few times in my younger days but now you couldn't pay me to jump that cliff.

Best wishes to the injured party.
stinginrivers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011   #10

Denver-ish, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
No way!! They have internet in Cisco????? Juuust kidding

yesimapirate is online now   Reply With Quote