Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > River Access & Safety Alerts!

Old 09-01-2011   #21

Fraser, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1997
Because Every Thing Helps!

There is going to be a 10 KRun/Walk/Ride to raise money for Beth(Because Every Thing Helps!)in Winter Park on Sat.Sept.24th.All proceeds go towards Beths recovery.$20 registration,available at active.com or any donations are accepted.If you have any questions go to BETH10K@YAHOO.COM. Silent auction after race.Beth is a GREAT,SWEET,LOVING person who can use the help!

TELEYAKCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011   #22

Vail, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
Saw that girl on the boat ramp at Radium... She was not looking good... The ambulance was just showing up as we were launching. Was she on a commercial trip or did the commercial trip help her out after she came up?

bigbean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011   #23

Granby, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
Wow, I meant to post about people jumping at the hot springs and never got around to it.

I feel horrible for the injury to this lady, no one needs to get hurt, but I have to share our latest experiene.

We were on the Upper C on Sunday Aug 21st, taking the in laws out for their first Upper C trip, with my family as well. We stopped at the hot springs for the first time in year, it was just 6 of us and there was a gentleman relaxing there as well who had hiked in.

We had not been there 5 minutes ( I hadn't even opened my beer yet) and a group of 5 rafts pulled up with 4 dogs (who didn't listen to their owners) and they were loud as can be. As soon as they got there, they began jumping off the high rocks to the side of the springs. We enjoy others on the river, but not when they're all cheering for each other and yelling at their dogs in unison. We left immediately and continued on for a peaceful rest of our float.

So my question is, when did this become the place to jump? Why not jump across the river 100 feet down on river right, where is has been tested for depth and ALL the rafting companies use with their guests?

We love the river, but everyone needs to respect each other
sarahmoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011   #24

Summit County, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
Sarah don't mean any disrespect BUT that IS the river. The springs is like that for at least 3 or 4 days a week throughout the boating season and just a way of life there. If this isn't your scene then find a section of river that does meet your expectations........but that is the way the springs is and will continue to be.
Have fun, be safe,
Coon
SummitSurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011   #25
Boy Howdy!

Colotucky, USA
Paddling Since: 2006
Sarah, I have passed by there when it has been like that(when I am not in the mood) and have hung out and been exactly like you said on other occasions. When I first started rafting my freinds brought me there and jumped before me and after me ( rinse repeat, etc.) it is the way the river goes and you can take it or leave it. I have not had a bad experence like I have had on Ruby or at a dickhead loner who can't stand the notion of letting kids under a tree 100 feet away from their campsite when it is raing like dogs and elk.
I go on the upper c alot with my close freinds who bring their kids and dogs and yes they get exposed to some other folk who are loud, obnoxious and bring their dogs with them( Just like my close freinds). Hell we don't jump anymore(unless you got some bourbon) but it sure is fun to watch em and talk with the coherent ones until you get less coherent.
It is the river and it happens alot there, take it or leave it.
Old 09-07-2011   #26
God Amongst Men

Phuoc My, Da Nang, THE 'NAM
Paddling Since: 1845
im sorry you had a bad experience.

....but if you were on Pumphouse on Labor Day Weekend and expected peace, quiet, and isolation......

then i dont know what to tell you.

Let's see.....

one the last remaining overnights runs in the state with water.....check.

riverside hot springs below one set of rapids and (generally) above another.....check

jumping rocks on BOTH sides of the river, AT said hot springs......check

easy access for boaters of all abilities......check

yeah you should expect a party there that time of year. anything else is just wishful thinking. thats like going on ruby horsethief and expecting to have the canyon to yourself......

again, sorry you had a bad experience. but it sounds more like you had some unrealistic expectations than people being disrespectful.
Old 09-07-2011   #27

Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Any update on the health of the girl who was injured here? I was a little a confused by the post that said she was paralized from the waist down. Seemed to leave a little room for her to heal/walk after the swelling went down.
goldcamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011   #28

Blue River, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
I've been on that stretch a lot over the last 11 years or so, and jumped many times from the river-left cliffs. I always heard stories about it going bad, but trusted my many successful attempts at the same time.
Then I became friends with a guy who ran on the Grand County ambulance. He started telling me about all the calls he went on to Radium to get folks who'd injured themselves. As I got older, (doubt much wiser) I just quit doing it.
Then one crowded weekend day a few years ago I saw a dude come sailing off the cliff (on river left above the spring) and hit the left tube of a raft going by, bouncing off into the water. I'm an EMT, and that was still hard to watch. The jumper destroyed his ribs (no pfd). Lots of stupid stuff goes down there, I just do my best to explain to my friends that jumping is a bad idea and no swimming without the vest.

loosecannon is offline   Reply With Quote