Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > River Access & Safety Alerts!

Old 08-27-2011   #11

thornton, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1969
We use to have one of our rafting warehouses in Kremmling from 1974-1979 to run the pump house section. The bad drought of 1977 we had to canceled 100% of our rafting trips that year, on that run because there was very little water in the river. You could walk accross the river at the Pump House to the other side of the river and not get your knees wet. So we done some hiking that year up and down that stretch of the river. We hiked from Radium to the hot spring and up to the cliffs just up stream from the hot springs. The water was slow and clear, there is a big ledge of mud and big rocks out to about 10 ft. to 12 ft., very ugly looking. I would never jump on that side ( rive left). River right cliffs looked deep and pretty rock free.

raymo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011   #12

carbondale/BV, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
i have guided that section for a few years. ive heard a whole lot of bad stories about jumps off that side gone wrong. you couldn't pay me to jump that cliff. i have jumped the clif on the right below the springs feel that the jump there is fairly safe. i hope this recent injury turns out as best as it can. sorry to hear about it

pitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011   #13

There have been lots and lots of cases of people getting killed or broken necks from jumping off rocks into rivers and lakes. It's one of the most dangerous things we do on the river. But, it sure is fun.
basil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011   #14

Fraser, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1989
The young lady injured there yesterday didn't hit a rock. She did however land in such a way that a vertabrae in her neck was crushed causing paralysis from the waist down. She is having surgery today, hopefully after swelling comes down she will be OK..............keep the prayers flowing
bookmillone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011   #15

Fraser, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1989
t-11 was broken, spinal cord not compromised but swollen
bookmillone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011   #16
SarahofTheWaves

FoCo,NoCo, Colorado
I can ditto on the "landing the wrong way" experience. I have stopped jumping and NEVER head first. And I do my best to stop others.
Speedy and complete recovery wishes for the young lady.
sarahkonamojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011   #18

Land of Lovin, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
Watched a kid jump off the 70+ footer at Green Mtn Res. a couple years back - he hit wrong and was knocked unconscious upon impact. He started to sink underwater and his friends started laughing and saying he was messing with them - I think they were drunk. Luckily a motorboat was hanging out watching people jump and they got to him quickly and got him to the surface and on the boat.

Cliff diving scares me.
Old 09-01-2011   #19

Littleton, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2010
It doesn't seem as big an issue here, and I'm a total hypocrite for posting this, but just to be fair, they made this commercial for the UK.

Lot's of peer pressure out there. Be safe.

Kendrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011   #20
Boy Howdy!

Colotucky, USA
Paddling Since: 2006
I have jumped off the left side upriver from the hot pots alot and now that I am a little more aged (like a better whiskey still numbs you but it hurts like hell in the morning) I have come to terms that my rock jumping days are over. This year on the couple of trips I did on the upper c I did not see the usual groups of people jumping off the left side but seeing more on the right.