Old 08-09-2009   #21

Boise, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2008
Loop on both ends of rope

I was taught that the loop can be very valuable--if for some reason you ever need more rope, you can quickly clip another bag on to the loop with a carabiner and you instantly have another 75' to work with. This can be especially critical in a live bait swim.

A good point was made earlier about pulling out some rope first. But it applies solely to relatively short throws-- make sure you throw the rope end first. If that misses, you can then throw the bag with 50-60' of rope still in it.

Someone also made a good point about having the swimmer turn around and put the rope over their shoulder. If you want them to go right, they put the rope over their left shoulder. This will dip their left shoulder and they should automatically ferry right. The same applies for rope over the right shoulder--they should automatically ferry left.

gringoanthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009   #22

Aspen, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1994
I skimmed this post. I saw where someone mentioned having eye to eye contact before throwing. A whistle blast can get a swimmers attention. Just have your whistle system understood so one blast does not tell another boater all is well. I try three with a swimmer.

I lost a creeker in Lake Creek once, and when we found it, it was floating upside down with my throw bag clipped inside and 75 feet of rope payed out. The knot at the thrower's end was chocked between two rocks on the river bottom. something to consider if a swimmer was to get entangled.

ZGjethro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009   #23

Whistler, BC
Paddling Since: 1986
Just one thing to add for throwing an already deployed bag; coil the rope using a lap coil/butterfly coil as it is quicker and throws easier than a climbers coil, and also scoop some water into the now empty throwbag to give it some weight to go further.
PhilM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009   #24

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
When not to throw.

One of the most important things to consider when using throw ropes is whether or not you should throw it at all. Ropes and moving water create a major hazard. I don't know how many times I have seen a novice throw a rope to someone who either wasn't looking, didn't need a rope, or who was completely submerged in a hole and had no way to grab a rope. Also, throwing ropes from a raft or a kayak generally does not work. Just take that extra second before you throw a rope to consider if it is really needed. With that said, when used correctly they can save someones life.
Claytonious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009   #25

Bozeman, Montana
Paddling Since: 1999

little snipet of a not so fun swim. don't know the people but good video of why we should practice bagging

caspermike is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bag