Old 05-20-2008   #1

e-town, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1998
Hey- eagle county boaters

Hey everybody, good boatin' lately huh? It has been asked that if anyone looses their boat, raft, etc. that they call into Vail dispatch to inform them that everyone is ok, or not ok. This is supposed to be anounced tomorow wed. 5/20 I am not sure how legit it will be or the response that they will get, but they are attempting to not have 18 fire trucks responding to a boat in the river. They will announce the non-emergent number sometime, but I assume it will be (970) 479-2201 Have fun out there!

liquidchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008   #2

Vail, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
Hey Doug!
Was that what was going on last night at the Chute? I was hoping it wasn't at bad as it sounded. . . let me know!
Kim

KimW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008   #3

Eagle, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
Several weeks ago we had the Vail Daily print a few paragraphs on boater safety. We addressed the issue of phantom calls. The calls that come in when somebody sees a upside down boat (raft, kayak, whatever) in the water and calls 911.
THANKFULLY, most times it is just a matter of equipment retreival. What we are asking is that boaters put thier names and phone numbers in their boats, even in their PFD's (just remember to cover up the info when you sell your gear) so we can identify boaters and gear during an incident.
Also, we need everyone to call our dispatch center (Vail Public Safety Communications Center) and let them know that you lost, pinned, wrapped your boat or any other gear that may cause others to think that there is an emergency.
firecrazy73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008   #4

Eagle, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
Dispatch has asked that you call 911 for a real emergency and call 479-2200 ext.0 or 479-2201 to inform them of nature of problem, time of incident , location of incident, and physcial description of boat (color, make, model, etc.)

THANKS FOR ALL YOUR HELP. Lisa at Alpenquest sports should be putting up a flier that mentions all this as well.

If you have any questions please feel free to call the Greater Eagle Fire Protecton District at 328-7244.

And finally, no, I am not fire crazy, it was a name I picked up years before becoming a firefighter.
firecrazy73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008   #5

Gypsum, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Just a reminder!
stumpster is offline   Reply With Quote