Old 03-22-2010   #11

Frisco, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2007
Hey, im down for when ever and how ever you want to remove that tree mavv i have a posse of paddlers and fish chasers out of summit down to help so far about six hit me up in april and let me spread the word.

LanceDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010   #12

Arvada (Denver), Colorado
For planning, there are 3 ways to access to/from the strainer location, which is situated on USFS land (rather than BLM/yes, it's USFS):

1 Boat down from the dam
2 Through Blue Valley Ranch land on river right, just downstream of the location
3 Through Shadow Creek Ranch land on river left, near but not on the shore of the location.

Right now, the flow is 128 cfs, lower than the 300-350 reasonably needed to boat. However, that may be a good flow to get at the strainer and do whatever needs to be done.

If delayed til water goes up, possibly, as early as around April 25 or so (read the "Daily water" charts for previous years at that time), boating may be possible but dealing with the strainer may not.

I emailed Kara Lamb at BoRec and Alex Faught at USFS yesterday to check this thread to advise on flow regimes and other assistance so maybe they'll chime in.

Plus, the logistics of the possibility that the strainer, whether cut or left intact, is lifted at high water and lodges into either of the low head dams just downstream from it. Scouting may be necessary.

Or, do nothing and hope it raises with the high water and makes it past the other strainer and the two low head dams.

Ole Rivers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010   #13

Littleton, Colorado
Paddling Since: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by mavv View Post
We are looking at the same tree in the middle of the river,we move it to the side on BLM land or cut the tree in pieces then move it to BLM land,its a task but with the tree gone a lot of people would be happy!!!!!!
I'm game, I'll pm you my phone # - we'll probably want to attempt this at the bare minimum floatable flow (400CFS).
slavetotheflyrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010   #14

The next zone, .
Boys..

It sounds like one log. No need for too much planning for such missions...

#1. I would recommend some rope, as big of a chainsaw as you can get your hands on, and at least a 12 er of your perfered malted beverage..

#2 Call 2-3 of your bros and go get it done...

#3 If mission fails repeat step #1 and #2 the next day..

Good luck.
Old 03-23-2010   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by slavetotheflyrod View Post
I'm game, I'll pm you my phone # - we'll probably want to attempt this at the bare minimum floatable flow (400CFS).
Yes, the bare minimum flow is, imo, around 400 cfs. I had a wading framework in mind as to the 300-350 cfs I suggested as a reasonable flow in my previous post.

I've witnessed boats getting torn up at 500 cfs in the first rock garden at the top of the canyon, so care is recommended at the lower, or any, for that matter, flows...
Old 03-23-2010   #16

Around April 25 sounds like a good date to aim for. Up for boating down to remove it. Will touch base two weeks prior to firm up plans. More the merrier to get it done so please spread the word!
mavv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010   #17

Thanks for the help - it appears April 25 sounds like a good date. Will touch base a couple of weeks prior.
mavv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010   #18

Parker, Colorado
Any status? How did April 25th go?
billcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010   #19

These pics were taken around 9/8/09 at 800 cfs or so. The cfs went down from that level from then to present, according to the gauge data history. The first two pics show only the one tree down at that time in that location. The other downed tree that reportedly fell later may be the angled, overhanging tree on river right just downstream of the strainer but not certain.

The third pic has an orange sign but, even when zoomed in, is hard to make out what the sign says. It was taken somewhere in the proximity of the lower fallen tree but not sure if the sign is up or downstream of it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1008.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	591.7 KB
ID:	2636   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1009.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	728.2 KB
ID:	2637  

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1012.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	784.3 KB
ID:	2638  
Old 05-28-2010   #20

Parker, Colorado
Looks like the lower blue is starting to run. Any status on the strainer? Still there?

billcat is offline   Reply With Quote