Quote:
Originally Posted by scooby450 View Post
Is this a public bridge?
No. It is not.

Thanks for the heads up Meng.

Old 04-23-2011   #42

Gunnison, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1972
Thanks for the heads up on the bridge, it sounds like this is the bridge on private land at Harmels. The public should watch this situation, since with some creative "bridge work" the landowners could attempt to restrict river traffic onto the Taylor river at this bridge. If anyone has a digital camera they should go record what is going on with the bridge..I am out of town and can't do it. Are there any Taylor River boaters that can watch this situation on the bridge? I don't want to be alarmist, but we cant give any ground on the river access situation, and the landowners have already shown that they view the river as their private retreat, and not a public waterway.

gunnisonriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011   #43

Cheyenne, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 2006
What is the current status of the boat ability of the Taylor river? Is it somewhat safe to run with regard to land owners? Thanks
live2paddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011   #44

Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by live2paddle View Post
What is the current status of the boat ability of the Taylor river? Is it somewhat safe to run with regard to land owners? Thanks
You can boat the Taylor safely, and without issue...especially the Canyon and the Lower stretch. The middle section is where the most issues are. Right now it sounds like the contractor crew working on the bridge at Harmels is asking people not to float that stretch until they finish constuction (not an unreasonable request).

There is private property all over along the Taylor though, so make sure you are on public land before getting out of your boat. Otherwise you won't have any problems.
Old 05-16-2011   #45

Colorado, Colorado
I just got back from my first float trip to the Gunny and was shocked to see all the "No Trespassing, No Anchoring, etc..." signs posted EVERYWHERE. The funny thing is that most of the people yelling from the banks are the Texans that move to Colorado in search of their own "private" water. Next thing you know they will be running barbed wire across OUR rivers!!
breslau05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011   #46

dillon, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by breslau05 View Post
I just got back from my first float trip to the Gunny and was shocked to see all the "No Trespassing, No Anchoring, etc..." signs posted EVERYWHERE. The funny thing is that most of the people yelling from the banks are the Texans that move to Colorado in search of their own "private" water. Next thing you know they will be running barbed wire across OUR rivers!!

Which stretch of the Gunnison? Escalante to Whitewater?
chepora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011   #47

Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by chepora View Post
That's what I was thinking....pretty sure I've never seen a "No Anchoring" sign on the Taylor...and it's already got plenty of fences across the river (just above Lottis Creek).
Old 05-17-2011   #48

Colorado, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by chepora View Post
We did a couple of floats... First day we did Almont to Garlic Mike's and the next two days we did Garlic Mike's down to the kayak course (Whitewater??). Landed a bunch of smaller rainbows and browns on a two streamer rig. White, yellow, and natural were working best. I also landed a 22" bow on one of my Shadowfax (bright and white) streamers.

I also got on some private water on the Lake Fork of the Gunny. WOW. That is some amazing water. Big bows and cutbows all over the place. Wish I lived down in that area!
breslau05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011   #49

I paddle rafted the Upper Middle and Lower Taylor Sunday, May 22. Its a fun 3 hour float at current levels (600cfs out of the damn, 800 @ Almont). Everything was very passable including the low bridge after Harmels on the Wilder property. Wilder's first bridge has a big yellow sign that says "no recreational access." Their second bridge is very low and would not be passable with an oar-framed raft. This bridge is recognizable by the small rustic cabins on the right bank. Passengers in a paddle raft must get below the tubes to fit under the bridge. Immediately head far right for a clear channel. The good news is all three channels under the bridge are free of wood. In the past, just the far left was passable which made the immediate right a difficult move to see after popping out from under the bridge. Please respectfully float this section.
Old 05-29-2011   #50

Gunnison, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1972
How can you respectuflly float this section of the river when the damn bridge is so low that you cant bring a raft with a frame under it? Sounds like we need some civil dis-respect here!

gunnisonriver is offline   Reply With Quote